Skip Bertman passes away

Who remembers the old "We all grew up on McArthur" dairy TV commercials during the 1970s?
The commercials always featured local celebrities reminiscing about their life growing up in SoFla,
enjoying McArthur diary products.
Bertman had one of those commercials and this was the first time I heard of him.
Later when I got into sports I grew to appreciate who he was.

Another story which I believe I've shared probably too many times.....after UM's heartbreaking loss
to LSU in the CWS, Skip went on to coach the 1996 Olympic team and they went barnstorming
around the country playing a bunch of exhibition games in the run-up to the Olympics.
One of those games was in Bowie (MD) vs South Korea.
I walked into the Bowie Baysox stadium, which is a mini-replica of Camden Yards, and in the concourse
I see a bunch of reporters talking to Bertman and some small dude who looked like a high school soph.
That small dude was Warren Morris, who had jacked the walk-off HR to beat our guys a few days prior to
this game.
I was still smarting over that loss so I was proud of myself for not saying anything obnoxious to either Bertman
or Morris. Lol.
Elsie the Cow
 
Jim Kroll another legend. He replaced Vic the year after I graduated. All gone. Holy smokes.

Meyer Lansky's granddaughter was in my class. Remember my grandfather introduced to him on a Saturday. I was probably 8. We owned the parking garage in the Florida National Bank building in downtown. All pop said was he was an important man...lol.

When he died in 1983, Lansky's family inherited a modest estate valued at roughly $57,000. LE thought his real net worth was more like at least $300 million, squirreled away in Swiss banks and offshore accounts.

Always lived pretty modestly. In the Beach condo where he was residing when he died and, earlier, in Golden Isles.
My grandfather knew him well, would eat lunch with him sometimes. I met him multiple times. He didn’t walk around with bodyguards or anything. Used to walk his poodle or whatever it was on Collins Avenue solo.
 
His name was Terry Brumfield and, yes, he taught science. Like Kroll, he left Beach to coach at Southwest.
I played for Brumfield at Beach. Yes, he actually went to high school at Southwest before he played at Southern Illinois. He started on back to back CWS teams. He left Beach several years after I graduated.
 
The famous Mrs. Rasmussen, she always made fun of all the girls wearing high heels. And I know Kuch too
She overheard me say something crass to some chick I’m still friends with to this day (she was working a blowpop in class) and ms. Rasmussen said “RVA [used full real name]… you have a filthy mouth!”

🤣
 
Back
Top