Since We Beat App St in 2016

bshaw28

Junior
I think we bounce back this weekend and have a good showing. But let's not be surprised if this is a close game. App St is a good team who isn't intimidated. Keeping these type of games close is what they do.

Here's the results of their games vs P5 since we faced them in 2016:

Georgia L 31-10
Wake Forest L 20-19
Penn St L 45-38 OT
UNC W 34-31
South Carolina W 20-15

The Georgia team that almost won the NC in 2017 is the only team that's handled them.

Advertisement
The thing is, nobody should think Miami is going to win because of 2016. Nobody that played in that game is still on the team besides Zack McCloud. Just like a majority of the players on App who played in the above games aren’t on their team anymore. None of those games matter because roster turnover in college football ensures that teams often look completely different from year to year.

The thing is, nobody should think Miami is going to win because of 2016. Nobody that played in that game is still on the team besides Zack McCloud. Just like a majority of the players on App who played in the above games aren’t on their team anymore. None of those games matter because roster turnover in college football ensures that teams often look completely different from year to year.
Pretty sure that’s not what the OP was saying.

Pretty sure that’s not what the OP was saying.
OP is saying App State can win because a bunch of guys who aren’t on their team anymore beat UNC two seasons ago. I get that the sentiment is “these guys have had success against P5 programs in the past” but it doesn’t really have relevance to today.

UCF beat Alabama in 2000. That game has zero relevance if the two teams played again today.

Advertisement
Be prepared for a nail biter. Another horrible gameplan from our coaches will have App State in the game but we will come away with a close win.

Advertisement
OP is saying App State can win because a bunch of guys who aren’t on their team anymore beat UNC two seasons ago. I get that the sentiment is “these guys have had success against P5 programs in the past” but it doesn’t really have relevance to today.
UCF beat Alabama in 2000. That game has zero relevance if the two teams played again today.
OP said nothing about App State beating us. Not sure where you’re getting that.

OP said that they could keep it close, because they have a recent history of giving P-5 teams a good fight.

What I'm trying to point out is:

1) App St has a lot of super seniors in their starting lineup who have played plenty of P5 teams either very closely or beaten them in their career
2) App St has a history of playing P5 teams really tough

I get your point about this being a new/different Miami & App St, and I agree with that. But I'm saying let's not completely ignore their history and experience.

Again - I think we bounce back and are in control of this game. But I'd warn to not flip out if the game is closer than you think, because playing P5 teams close is kind of their thing. It shouldn't be surprising.

If we run them - I'd take that as a really good sign vs just doing what's expected. It'll be a better win than what it looks like on paper.

What I'm trying to point out is:

1) App St has a lot of super seniors in their starting lineup who have played plenty of P5 teams either very closely or beaten them in their career
2) App St has a history of playing P5 teams really tough

I get your point about this being a new/different Miami & App St, and I agree with that. But I'm saying let's not completely ignore their history and experience.
Again - I think we bounce back and are in control of this game. But I'd warn to not flip out if the game is closer than you think, because playing P5 teams close is kind of their thing. It shouldn't be surprising.

If we run them - I'd take that as a really good sign vs just doing what's expected. It'll be a better win than what it looks like on paper.
Sorry man, I wasn't trying to insult you specifically. I totally get what you're saying. It's just that I hear a lot about "trends" when people try to predict outcomes but trends that go back over a year in college football are pretty worthless as most teams will have completely different rosters in two years or more. They'll likely have different coaching staffs the way coaching jobs turn over in college football too. I always laugh when these gambling "experts" say things like "West Virginia is 6-2 against the spread on Thursday night away games since 2003". Lol. That means absolutely nothing.

Advertisement
App is 2-7 in their last 9 P5 games. Their wins are over a USCe team that was a 4 or 5 win team. That UNC team they beat was the 7-6 team we lost to on 4th and 17.

Let's not act like they've been giant slayers.
They also lost to 3 G5 teams last year, so it's not like they're even dominating their own conference competition.

They are a run heavy team. They ran at almost a 2:1 ratio last year and will not abandon the running game even if they're not having a ton of success. They ran the ball 46 times against Georgia State last year despite only averaging 2.9 yards per carry. I'm sure that will remain their philosophy because there's no way they want Chase Brice throwing the ball 40 times. If Miami can go up early (a big if knowing our offense starts slow) this game will be over fast.

Our 2016 Starters were more talented than this years team I think.

Kaaya
Walton/Homer
Njoku
Richards
Coley
Berrios

Thomas
Norton
McIntosh
Jackson
Pink
SHAQ
Finley
Elder
Redwine
Johnson

I think the home field advantage aspect of Miami with heat and humidity is usually over stated. Its hot everywhere during training came. The difference is in this game though. The average temp in Boone during the summer is 79 degrees and its sitting in the 50s-60s there now. Its going to be almost 90 degrees w/ 60% humidity at kickoff and close to 100 on the field.

Advertisement
There will be a sizable difference in size and speed in Miami’s favor.
Miami must set the edge. No if’s ands or buts about it.
App St is going to run off tackle. No if’s ands or buts about it.
App’s defense is trash.

Keep Ivey off the field and it’s a blowout; with Ivey it’ll be closer than it should be.
41-17 Canes

Sorry man, I wasn't trying to insult you specifically. I totally get what you're saying. It's just that I hear a lot about "trends" when people try to predict outcomes but trends that go back over a year in college football are pretty worthless as most teams will have completely different rosters in two years or more. They'll likely have different coaching staffs the way coaching jobs turn over in college football too. I always laugh when these gambling "experts" say things like "West Virginia is 6-2 against the spread on Thursday night away games since 2003". Lol. That means absolutely nothing.
No offense taken! I completely agree with you that even comparing teams from last year can be pretty pointless. This is a case, and just my opinion, where I think it makes sense and holds some weight. But yeah - totally different teams and circumstances from 2016. But I think we handle them.

Advertisement
Back