Silent thoughts

PittsburghCane

Redshirt Freshman
If you have a “silent commit” (hate that ish but whatever) and a similar commit says he will commit publicly (imagine Redding and Daz), would you:

1) pressure the silent to go public
2) tell the public kid to wait
3) take the public kid

Advertisement
You hold a spot for the program changers if they have interest. It s sucks knowing we have dudes that will commit on the spot (allegedly) while waiting on a pipe dream. But those dudes aren’t changing this teams outlook.
Be upfront with the dude that wants in.

If you have a “silent commit” (hate that ish but whatever) and a similar commit says he will commit publicly (imagine Redding and Daz), would you:

1) pressure the silent to go public
2) tell the public kid to wait
3) take the public kid

I guess it depends on what the talent difference is

Advertisement
I would only take a silent if it's the case that he has a special date planned and said date is within a month other than that I'm good just commit when ur ready to go public with it

Advertisement
To me, there is a difference between "coach, I am committed, but I want to make it public on [insert date before signing day] because [insert reason]" and "coach, I am committed, but I won't be making it public until my televised signing day ceremony." I am cool with the first, I am wildly suspicious of the second.

As for the choices...

on 1: Worst option. Pressuring teenagers into publicly committing is part of the reason we have so many **** decommits.

on 2: If the silent commit is discernibly superior to the kid who is ready to publicly commit, this is probably the best option. Game-changing talent warrants holding "silent" spots. Let the public kid know he is a priority, but space is limited and you have a guy who has silently committed ahead of him. Be real. Remind him that sometimes silent commits don't stay committed. Let the kid know he's wanted, but that we understand he needs to keep his options open. Tell him you understand that he needs to be smart. But before accepting a commit from another school, let us know so that we can see about making space for you (by pushing somebody else out, if necessary). The goal is to honestly communicate the issue without making the kid feel unwanted or unimportant.

on 3: If the silent commit isn't all that much better than the kid ready to publicly commit, you take the public commit. Or if the kid who is publicly available to commit is "UM caliber" and also happens to be highly respected by other recruits (see, e.g., Ron Delancy), you take him over the silent. If the kid who is ready to commit publicly isn't popular with local recruits in our alleged pipeline/local schools, or is outside of schools we have good relationships with (or are trying to establish those relationships with) you take him with the internal understanding that we will drop him if the silent kid is actually willing to sign.

You hold a spot for the program changers if they have interest. It s sucks knowing we have dudes that will commit on the spot (allegedly) while waiting on a pipe dream. But those dudes aren’t changing this teams outlook.
Be upfront with the dude that wants in.

Problem is recently, we hold spots for program changers, cut off communication with guys that would have been great, and end up losing all of them.

Advertisement
The thing is, committing doesn't mean committing anymore. It just means you're leading for a kid.

The game has changed and until we win consistently or start offering extra benefits that compete with national powerhouses it will remain that way for UM

Advertisement
Committed only counts when they fax that letter In. Till they actually show up commits are more like a wish list.

Silents commits have worked for us this cycle 🤷🏾‍♂️
chantz Williams
Jalen rivers
Jaylan knighton
Daz worsham
Romello height
Jalen Harrell
Tirek Austin cave
And a few others were all silent commits this cycle

People don’t want to hear about all of those , they just want to laugh and make jokes about the ones that didn’t work out.

Advertisement
Back