Signing Day Profile: LB Samuel Brooks

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Miami Northwestern LB Samuel Brooks signed with Miami today, becoming UM's 12th and final signee among their commitments.

The 6-2, 195-pounder is currently a consensus 3-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Composite, Brooks is the #724 player nationally, #45 OLB in the country, and the #97 player in The Sunshine State.

Recruiting Story

Brooks committed to Miami all the way back in March over South Carolina, but he decommitted last week when Manny Diaz left the program. It was a surprise when Brooks decommitted from Miami and Brooks admitted he made a rash decision. His official visit last weekend to Miami was all he needed to put him at ease that UM was the best place for him and now he’ll again sign with Canes.

Brooks suffered a devastating ACL and meniscus tear in October of his junior season and Miami stuck with him through all that. Brooks led Miami-Dade in sacks as a sophomore and was on his way to doing it again as a junior before his injury. Brooks came back strong off his injury as a senior, showing little ill-effects and helping Northwestern to a state title. With another year removed from his injury, Brooks should definitely be 100% by the time he hits the field at Miami for his freshman season.

Evaluation

Brooks comes from a powerhouse local program that has a long-standing tradition of sending kids to Miami. On the field, Brooks takes sharp, direct angles to the ball-carrier, and he throws his body around against bigger opponents with little fear. Brooks is comfortable with his hand on the ground at the line or standing up and blitzing from a linebacker spot. He has the timing, quick feet and tight hips to make the turn and get into the backfield coming off the edge, acting like a heat-seeking missile. Brooks will need to put on some weight at only 195 right now to hold up at the college level, but that’s common for high schoolers at this stage.

The Team

Brooks joins STA 4-star Avery Huff as the two linebackers signing with Miami in the early period. Miami loses backup middle linebacker Mike Smith (who played a ton this year) to graduation after the season, while juniors Shaq Quarterman and Michael Pinckney have NFL decisions to make. If Quarterman and Pinckney return, Miami will return all their starters at the linebacker position in 2019, which include SAM/striker co-starters Zach McCloud and Romeo Finley.

If that’s the case, then there won’t be much playing time available for the freshman linebackers, but there’s certainly potential for them to crack the two-deep. Brooks and his classmates will fight with 2017 signees at LB (Waynmon Steed, BJ Jennings) for backup reps as true freshmen. The starting lineup completely clears out when Quarterman, Pinckney, McCloud, and Finley graduate after 2019 though, and there will be a battle royale in 2020 at all three positions. Brooks has as good a chance as anyone to win that competition and start as a sophomore.

Redshirt Probability: 4/10

It’s hard to say until we know who for sure is coming back, but Brooks will have to continue to put on size and strength to really have a shot at being effective next year. I’m leaning towards him getting just enough reps to justify burning his shirt, but I think Miami has to get back to redshirting these types of guys so that they can build real depth in the program.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Want 4 with Pinkney likely leaving. Lost Perry, Mike Smith.

Want: Brooks, Huff, Brothers, Asante

if Asante commits elsewhere i offer Roger Yarde.

Advertisement

Oh he's starting to eat now. When he gets in an S&C here...LOOK OUT!

Brooks And huff are some big time looking linebackers physically and they both can run, I think Brooks ran a high 4.5 before at the Nike opening testing. Before his junior year he had over a 120 spark rating which is elite for a linebacker. His spark numbers as a senior could have been scary if he was all the way healthy

Last edited:
I said it in my 2019 Depth chart thread & have been saying it since he was a Sophomore in 2017...

Future All-American! Physical freak, sideline to sideline speed, aggressiveness, violent tackler & off the charts instincts.

Brooks is the pure definition of a Miami LB, he's cut from the same pedigree of the Cane Legend LB's from the 90's & 00's.

Brooks And huff are some big time looking linebackers physically and the both can run, I think Brooks ran a high 4.5 before at the Nike opening testing. Before his junior year he had over a 120 spark rating which is elite for a linebacker. His spark numbers as a senior could have been scary if he was all the way healthy

yea he was in the 4. 5 range at 195pds. Kid is gonna be GOOD

Advertisement
Advertisement
He is a smaller version of Willie Williams. I grew up with Willie...he closes and hunts JUST like Willie did in High school

Watched lots of high school football over the years. Fred Taylor was the best I ever saw...until I watched Willie. He hunted like no other.

Nothing more exciting in this class to me than the potential of Brooks and Huff. I think BOTH can star-level talents once they fill out and get their footing. Once Huff gets in that college nutrition and strength program, he's gonna be a machine. I think he is an absolute steal. And Brooks, well, he already looks like a machine. Wait till he's been here a year or two. Glad we made it to the finish line with both of them.

Advertisement
Back