Signing Day Profile: DT Jason Munoz

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
2019 St. Thomas Aquinas DE/DT Jason Munoz signed with Miami today. Munoz is the 9th player to sign with Miami today.

The 6-4, 270-pounder is currently a 3-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Munoz is the #819 player nationally, #60 SDE in the country, and the #106 player in the Sunshine State.

Recruiting Story

Munoz did not have much if any interest at all from Miami before Jess Simpson arrived in Coral Gables. All that changed when Munoz went down to Miami at the beginning of June and worked out in front of the coaches. Since Munoz missed his entire junior season with an injury, this was the first chance coach Simpson had to really evaluate him. Munoz performed extremely well at that camp and earned an offer from Miami that same day. Munoz committed on the spot.

Prior to getting interest from Miami, Munoz had taken unofficial visits to both Louisville and Tennessee. However, his entire recruitment shut down when he committed to Miami. He did not take any other visits or meet with any other coaches from that point forward.

Evaluation

Munoz’s best quality is how quickly he gets off the ball. Munoz is often in the backfield before the offensive lineman even has time to get into his stance. Munoz also plays with a relentless motor and never takes a play off, excelling in his ability to disengage with the blocker. I have been told by multiple St. Thomas offensive linemen that Munoz is the hardest guy on the team to block and that includes Braylen Ingraham. Munoz also has great mobility, both in lateral movement and in straight line speed. There are times where the running back has popped a run to the outside and Munoz is the one chasing him down, not a linebacker.

Part of the reason Munoz moves so well is because he has lost a ton of weight this season. There was a few weeks in the middle of the high school football season where Munoz was sick and lost up to 30 pounds during that time period. Munoz will have to work very hard just to get back to where he was, much less where he should be for college. I am very confident Munoz will be able to get his strength to where it needs to be. Before the season I had multiple people tell me that Munoz was by far the strongest player in the weight room.

The Team

Munoz is one of 13 current Miami commits expected to sign this week and he joins Poly Prep (NY) 4-star Jason Blissett and Buford (GA) 3-star Jalar Holley at DT in Surge19. Like Munoz, Holley and Blissett have been nothing but solid on their pledges to Miami since they committed.

With Gerald Willis and Tito Odenigbo both graduating and going to the NFL, the Canes are banking heavy that Jon Ford, Nesta Silvera, and Jordan Miller will all develop properly and become a solid trio to complement Patrick Bethel. Behind them, Munoz will compete with fellow 2019 commits Blissett and Holley for a spot in the DT rotation as true freshmen, with the hopes he can develop into a starting-level player after a full year under Coach Simpson.

Redshirt Probability: 7/10

Due to the illness that cost Munoz nearly 30 pounds, he is probably the least college-ready of Miami’s 3 DT signees. I am not going to rule out the possibility of Munoz being in the rotation next season because I have heard nothing but good things about his personality and work ethic, but as of now, it seems unlikely.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back