Signing Day Post-Mortem: What went wrong? (Long- no BS)

Nothing went wrong.

Some 18 year old kids made decisions to play football. We ended up with a lot of good ones who want to make Miami great again.

Advertisement
Our DT recruiting is Al Golden level. We're going to have to start banging the table for Jucos. You can't make the playoffs when you have to rely on Juco and grad transfer. We should know first hand because that all we could ever land with Al Golden here.

Rumph has to go. There is no way around it. No excuse for it. If this year didn't show Richt Rumph has 0 ties or pull in south florida then IDK what to say. He couldn't pull guys he has known and coach since their youth. How are we suppose to expect him to pull elite guys he have no connection to or non-Canes legacies? I would also have to assume that Richt entire purpose of hiring an inexperience HS coach like Rumph was to have ties to AH and other SFL schools. He has neither.

This is not a mike rumph problem.rumph is a good coach just not better than tucker or Saban

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with a lot of this. Good post imo. I definitely think you have to add Hartley to the list and I think Banda has promise, but all else is true. Good season on so many fronts for us this year, but definitely still some question marks on both sides of the ball if I'm an elite recruit. Whether it's cmr's playcalling or some of the chinks in Diaz' armor that showed up this year, I think there's sufficient doubt out there as to how close we are to championship quality.

I hear you on Hartley, but here is our 3 year haul at TE:

2016: Irvin, Haskins
2017: Polendy
2018: Mallory, Jordan

Hartley was elite THIS cycle, but not consistently elite. I do think he's an excellent recruiter and has a lot of upside. I expect him to croot well again this coming cycle, but I'm not ready to crown him yet. That's my thinking anyway.

Good post and I likewise agree with a lot of what you are saying. Your position on Hartley is a fair and measured one. That being said, on Hartley, you may not be looking at the whole picture. Remember, Hartley recruits a lot outside his position group and for special teams (and in the North Florida & Georgia area):

2018: Hartley was also the primary recruiter for Jordan Miller and Bubba Baxa, and heavily involved in Ezzard's recruitment.
2017: Hartley was also the primary recruiter for Bradley Jennings Jr. and Zach Feagles, and heavily involved in Deejay Dallas, Evidence Njoku, Zalon'tae Hillery, and Derrick Smith's recruitment.
2016: I'm not sure what to expect from a coach who is at a school for about a month before signing day.

Whether he's elite or excellent, we can all agree Hartley carries more than his fair share of the recruiting weight, and the defensive staff needs a lot of help in this department.

Agreed

It’s more than this. It’s also about being arrogant. The defenseive coaches didn’t recruit hard nor send out LOI’s to several players prior to December signing. The staff could’ve signed Goldwire, the big plug from Aquinas, Bonnito, Abdullah, the NC 4 star DE/DT, maybe Samuels, maybe Wilson, and Chatman. This is off the top of my head. There’s several more. Instead, they got played by Jobe and others. They could have and should have had this class wrapped up in December. They should have said get in now or lose your spot. Instead, they waited, the other guys signed elsewhere in December. Then the staff had no plan B kids on signing day. The roster will be under 80 spots STILL.
It’s like we’re on probation. This fault is Rumph, Kool, but mostly Diaz. There has to be changes made now.

A-GREED! This is a solid post, here.

Advertisement
It’s more than this. It’s also about being arrogant. The defenseive coaches didn’t recruit hard nor send out LOI’s to several players prior to December signing. The staff could’ve signed Goldwire, the big plug from Aquinas, Bonnito, Abdullah, the NC 4 star DE/DT, maybe Samuels, maybe Wilson, and Chatman. This is off the top of my head. There’s several more. Instead, they got played by Jobe and others. They could have and should have had this class wrapped up in December. They should have said get in now or lose your spot. Instead, they waited, the other guys signed elsewhere in December. Then the staff had no plan B kids on signing day. The roster will be under 80 spots STILL.
It’s like we’re on probation. This fault is Rumph, Kool, but mostly Diaz. There has to be changes made now.

This. The overconfidence is a glaring issue right now. Seemingly everyone but the staff and the people who work for this site knew Jobe, TC, Surtain were NEVER coming here. But they recruited all year like they were in it for all 3. I get being a fan and hoping for the best but can anyone argue now that they shouldn't have known better?

Last edited:
What "went wrong" was that, by and large, the kids didn't want to come to the U. The posters on this board tend to overestimate the degree to which the machinations of the staff influence the kids' decisions. The players aren't just putty in the hands of manipulative adults. They are individuals that have both innate and acquired preferences.

What "went wrong" was that, by and large, the kids didn't want to come to the U. The posters on this board tend to overestimate the degree to which the machinations of the staff influence the kids' decisions. The players aren't just putty in the hands of manipulative adults. They are individuals that have both innate and acquired preferences.

Right... and my post, in part, dealt with the reason they didn't want to come to Miami... because our brand and perception is far weaker and lowly regarded than Bama and Georgia. It's not like Surtain and Campbell have a genetic predisposition against Miami. Our program doesn't measure up in recent history.

Advertisement
Rumph is lazy. Classic south florida high school coach mentality, coupled with that Randy Shannon "well if they dont wanna be here I ain't begging" type arrogance.

Either that or he was doing some bad **** to those kids at AH and they are running for the hills.

Advertisement
There was a lot of head-scratching behavior related to defensive recruiting this year. Taking only 1 LB (and passing on kids like Bonitto and Abdullah). Slow-playing a cover corner like Samuel. Completely misreading the Judas Choad recruitment, resulting in a late flip (and fatally injuring out chances with Samuel). The late attention to Jordan Miller (most of the country was slow on that one, but he's in our state). Chatfield's recruitment (late offer, allegedly not sending him an NLI, etc...). Missing on Tyson Campbell (while allegedly loving our chances with him into January). Bringing in Carson at a position of need for an OV but then backing off (allegedly because we didn't like his size/frame). Apparently being blindsided by RJ and Norton both declaring early.

Overall, it just seems like they aren't employing a highly effective recruiting strategy on defense. On offense, they systematically move through their progression of targets and have a better understanding of when they are getting kids and when they aren't (McFarland last year being the one time I can recall the offense has been blind-sided by a commitment). Sitkowski is under-performing? Move on the Jarren Williams. Kevin Austin doesn't reciprocate interest? Find another worthwhile target (Marquez Ezzard) and close the deal.

Yes, the defensive coaches brought in some very good and elite recruits. But there were also several key misses, and some of those misses were the result of or exacerbated by some miscues on the part of the defensive coaches. Whether it's inexperience, arrogance, or laziness, I have no idea, but I hope these guys are all taking a good, long look in the mirror and work to fix the issues.

Advertisement
I agree with a lot of this. Good post imo. I definitely think you have to add Hartley to the list and I think Banda has promise, but all else is true. Good season on so many fronts for us this year, but definitely still some question marks on both sides of the ball if I'm an elite recruit. Whether it's cmr's playcalling or some of the chinks in Diaz' armor that showed up this year, I think there's sufficient doubt out there as to how close we are to championship quality.

I hear you on Hartley, but here is our 3 year haul at TE:

2016: Irvin, Haskins
2017: Polendy
2018: Mallory, Jordan

Hartley was elite THIS cycle, but not consistently elite. I do think he's an excellent recruiter and has a lot of upside. I expect him to croot well again this coming cycle, but I'm not ready to crown him yet. That's my thinking anyway.

No argument from me, that's fair. But I'd also say Hartley seems to have a lot of momentum w/ future classes right now. Someone I think most Canes fans feel good about right now.

Our DT recruiting is Al Golden level. We're going to have to start banging the table for Jucos. You can't make the playoffs when you have to rely on Juco and grad transfer. We should know first hand because that all we could ever land with Al Golden here.

Rumph has to go. There is no way around it. No excuse for it. If this year didn't show Richt Rumph has 0 ties or pull in south florida then IDK what to say. He couldn't pull guys he has known and coach since their youth. How are we suppose to expect him to pull elite guys he have no connection to or non-Canes legacies? I would also have to assume that Richt entire purpose of hiring an inexperience HS coach like Rumph was to have ties to AH and other SFL schools. He has neither.

This is not a mike rumph problem.rumph is a good coach just not better than tucker or Saban

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saban he's not. Mel Tucker is a crap coach.

I blame CMR for not pulling the fuqqin' trigger and playing Perry during that 3 game skid mark lead by Noiser. Pitt's untested freshman pushed our **** in backward so don't tell me it couldn't be done

I swear I’ve read this before... hmmmmm

Advertisement
Back