Signing Day Post-Mortem: What went wrong? (Long- no BS)

CanesNation26

Sophomore
Why did we choke down the stretch? What does this say about the state of our program? I think there are a few micro and macro factors that played a role in our abysmal close:

(1) We limped to the finish line on the football field

Our close has to do with WHEN we won, starting the year strong, building up expectations (“we’re back, we’re back”), and then ultimately collapsing. It has way more to do with “HOW” we won. We were a paper tiger and it showed. We revealed our true nature at the end of the year. People don’t want to hear this, but we were a few lucky plays away from being a 7-8 win team. We didn’t fool anyone with our play. An apt comparison is Georgia. People will say $EC, bags, whatever, but the most clear factor accounting for their recruiting success is their play on the field. They were legit. Everyone knew they were forreal. They nearly won the title.

I made a long-winded thread right before the start of Golden’s last year essentially arguing that our next coach will have to coach his way to elite recruiting. In the debate about the chicken and the egg, the answer is clear: we need to prove ourselves to elite recruits. We need to change our program’s perception. Our brand took a significant hit under Coker, Shannon, and Golden. Ultimately, the question is begged: can our staff, in its current composition, coach its way to eliteness and out of our current perception as a tier-2 national program? Can we have a Georgia season or even a Washington season of two years ago that changes the perception of our program? Can they do more with less?

(2) AH is more like IMG than Booker T

For the most part, we cleaned up down here. This owes to our traditional rivals, UF and FSU, having bad years coupled with transition classes, but also to our good, but not great, showing on the field. We have home field advantage down here. If we have a good showing/exciting season on the field, we’ll croot very well down here. However, while AH is in South Florida, it’s not your typical South Florida high school. Its football program rose to prominence when Miami was in the midst of its lost decade. They are much more a national school than a local school. Local kids, but national vibe. They don’t have the connection and history with UM that other high schools in the area have.

(3) We don’t have savage recruiters save Donk and Richt (maybe Thomas Brown)

Rumph and Kool can’t pull their weight. Kool’s difficulty is a product not only of his recruiting ability, but of our national brand. He pulls DTs down here (and DT talent down here is scant), but he suffers when leaving our home base. Rumph is an absolute embarrassment. The fact that he can’t close on elite kids down here coupled with the fact that he coached these kids himself is a huge, huge red flag. It’s too bad because I think they’re both great teachers, but Jimmys and Joes are far more important than coaching ability. If you want to win a national championship, you need BOTH.

Closing Thoughts
Ultimately, this recruiting class is better than previous recruiting classes, but far from elite. We’ll finish between 5-7 in the rankings, but everyone knows we missed a shot to turn the corner by whiffing on elite prospects down the stretch. This is not an elite class because elite classes sure up needs and stack chips at other positions. We’re stacking chips at the WR position, we sured up our DB position with a pretty good class overall, and created new holes for ourselves in the front 7, especially along the Dline. If we want to be a consistent national contender again, we need more.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I blame CMR for not pulling the fuqqin' trigger and playing Perry during that 3 game skid mark lead by Noiser. Pitt's untested freshman pushed our **** in backward so don't tell me it couldn't be done

Advertisement
Still baffles me that this board is surprised about today

Still baffles me how so many still don't recognize what the Shalala era freeze on the football program actually did to recruiting as well as facilities. The incentives other institutions can provide compared to UM, directly or indirectly through boosters, simply can't (or won't) be matched.

UM

It’s more than this. It’s also about being arrogant. The defenseive coaches didn’t recruit hard nor send out LOI’s to several players prior to December signing. The staff could’ve signed Goldwire, the big plug from Aquinas, Bonnito, Abdullah, the NC 4 star DE/DT, maybe Samuels, maybe Wilson, and Chatman. This is off the top of my head. There’s several more. Instead, they got played by Jobe and others. They could have and should have had this class wrapped up in December. They should have said get in now or lose your spot. Instead, they waited, the other guys signed elsewhere in December. Then the staff had no plan B kids on signing day. The roster will be under 80 spots STILL.
It’s like we’re on probation. This fault is Rumph, Kool, but mostly Diaz. There has to be changes made now.

Advertisement
Our DT recruiting is Al Golden level. We're going to have to start banging the table for Jucos. You can't make the playoffs when you have to rely on Juco and grad transfer. We should know first hand because that all we could ever land with Al Golden here.

Rumph has to go. There is no way around it. No excuse for it. If this year didn't show Richt Rumph has 0 ties or pull in south florida then IDK what to say. He couldn't pull guys he has known and coach since their youth. How are we suppose to expect him to pull elite guys he have no connection to or non-Canes legacies? I would also have to assume that Richt entire purpose of hiring an inexperience HS coach like Rumph was to have ties to AH and other SFL schools. He has neither.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Still baffles me that this board is surprised about today

Still baffles me how so many still don't recognize what the Shalala era freeze on the football program actually did to recruiting as well as facilities. The incentives other institutions can provide compared to UM, directly or indirectly through boosters, simply can't (or won't) be matched.

UM

Who knew that all it took to defrost that policy was $1 million from our head coach. Things haven’t changed even though our scapegoat has gone.

A combo of things, I'm guessing:

- our late season collapse on the field
- perhaps we waiting too long to get on to kids or placed too much weight on some kids when there were other kids dying to come here who were very good
- defensive recruiting is an issue - I'm not sure what it is but something is amiss there. Between the stuff I've heard about Banda, Kul's lack of recruiting on the trail and we all know Rumph's deal, there's something going on there.
- because we're still digging ourselves out of a Golden hole

Why did we choke down the stretch? What does this say about the state of our program? I think there are a few micro and macro factors that played a role in our abysmal close:

Our close has to do with WHEN we won, starting the year strong, building up expectations (“we’re back, we’re back”), and then ultimately collapsing. It has way more to do with “HOW” we won. We were a paper tiger and it showed. We revealed our true nature at the end of the year. People don’t want to hear this, but we were a few lucky plays away from being a 7-8 win team. We didn’t fool anyone with our play. An apt comparison is Georgia. People will say $EC, bags, whatever, but the most clear factor accounting for their recruiting success is their play on the field. They were legit. Everyone knew they were forreal. They nearly won the title.

I made a long-winded thread right before the start of Golden’s last year essentially arguing that our next coach will have to coach his way to elite recruiting. In the debate about the chicken and the egg, the answer is clear: we need to prove ourselves to elite recruits. We need to change our program’s perception. Our brand took a significant hit under Coker, Shannon, and Golden. Ultimately, the question is begged: can our staff, in its current composition, coach its way to eliteness and out of our current perception as a tier-2 national program? Can we have a Georgia season or even a Washington season of two years ago that changes the perception of our program? Can they do more with less?

For the most part, we cleaned up down here. This owes to our traditional rivals, UF and FSU, having bad years coupled with transition classes, but also to our good, but not great, showing on the field. We have home field advantage down here. If we have a good showing/exciting season on the field, we’ll croot very well down here. However, while AH is in South Florida, it’s not your typical South Florida high school. Its football program rose to prominence when Miami was in the midst of its lost decade. They are much more a national school than a local school. Local kids, but national vibe. They don’t have the connection and history with UM that other high schools in the area have.

Rumph and Kool can’t pull their weight. Kool’s difficulty is a product not only of his recruiting ability, but of our national brand. He pulls DTs down here (and DT talent down here is scant), but he suffers when leaving our home base. Rumph is an absolute embarrassment. The fact that he can’t close on elite kids down here coupled with the fact that he coached these kids himself is a huge, huge red flag. It’s too bad because I think they’re both great teachers, but Jimmys and Joes are far more important than coaching ability. If you want to win a national championship, you need BOTH.

Closing Thoughts
Ultimately, this recruiting class is better than previous recruiting classes, but far from elite. We’ll finish between 5-7 in the rankings, but everyone knows we missed a shot to turn the corner by whiffing on elite prospects down the stretch. This is not an elite class because elite classes sure up needs and stack chips at other positions. We’re stacking chips at the WR position, we sured up our DB position with a pretty good class overall, and created new holes for ourselves in the front 7, especially along the Dline. If we want to be a consistent national contender again, we need more.
I agree with a lot of this. Good post imo. I definitely think you have to add Hartley to the list and I think Banda has promise, but all else is true. Good season on so many fronts for us this year, but definitely still some question marks on both sides of the ball if I'm an elite recruit. Whether it's cmr's playcalling or some of the chinks in Diaz' armor that showed up this year, I think there's sufficient doubt out there as to how close we are to championship quality.

Advertisement
We need to go spend money on some REAL assistants. No more learning on the job.

I agree with a lot of this. Good post imo. I definitely think you have to add Hartley to the list and I think Banda has promise, but all else is true. Good season on so many fronts for us this year, but definitely still some question marks on both sides of the ball if I'm an elite recruit. Whether it's cmr's playcalling or some of the chinks in Diaz' armor that showed up this year, I think there's sufficient doubt out there as to how close we are to championship quality.

I hear you on Hartley, but here is our 3 year haul at TE:

2016: Irvin, Haskins
2017: Polendy
2018: Mallory, Jordan

Hartley was elite THIS cycle, but not consistently elite. I do think he's an excellent recruiter and has a lot of upside. I expect him to croot well again this coming cycle, but I'm not ready to crown him yet. That's my thinking anyway.

I hear you on Hartley, but here is our 3 year haul at TE:

2016: Irvin, Haskins
2017: Polendy
2018: Mallory, Jordan

Hartley was elite THIS cycle, but not consistently elite. I do think he's an excellent recruiter and has a lot of upside. I expect him to croot well again this coming cycle, but I'm not ready to crown him yet. That's my thinking anyway.

Good post and I likewise agree with a lot of what you are saying. Your position on Hartley is a fair and measured one. That being said, on Hartley, you may not be looking at the whole picture. Remember, Hartley recruits a lot outside his position group and for special teams (and in the North Florida & Georgia area):

2018: Hartley was also the primary recruiter for Jordan Miller and Bubba Baxa, and heavily involved in Ezzard's recruitment.
2017: Hartley was also the primary recruiter for Bradley Jennings Jr. and Zach Feagles, and heavily involved in Deejay Dallas, Evidence Njoku, Zalon'tae Hillery, and Derrick Smith's recruitment.
2016: I'm not sure what to expect from a coach who is at a school for about a month before signing day.

Whether he's elite or excellent, we can all agree Hartley carries more than his fair share of the recruiting weight, and the defensive staff needs a lot of help in this department.

Closing Thoughts

I see the point and it’s a good one but we only miss on three target this year. Without the injury at the end of the year beat Wisconsin or end the season with one lose on the season. But kids we miss on going to team played in the national championships game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back