SIAP: the nightmare is over

Now lets not all re-write history here..Mannys D served its purpose as long as everything worked according to plan and he had elite pass rushers at the forefront of the D. As soon as those pass rushers were no longer there (last season) and he didnt have Shaq, Pinck, Jaquan , Romeo and Sheldrick cleaning **** up for him in the back 7...the defense bottomed out. He just got lucky for a few years that he had the players to run it perfectly.

His luck absolutely ran out last season because he had zero players who run it. And we all wondered WTF happened to the defense to where it was a liability and looked like a Mark Dnofrio level D....Answer? No pass rushers. No LBs to sift through the unreal loads of traffic... And no safetys to come up and save the day as the last line of defense in case the LBs got caught in the wash... Everything must go right for his defense to work and thats not how we want to run things anymore. Goodbye and Good riddance, Manny.

(Edit to add Romeo Finley who can honestly say hes the greatest Striker this program has ever had. Hats off Romeo!)

Advertisement
It’s going to be really exciting to see assignment football and gap integrity at Miami again. 5 years of AG and 6 with Manny was brutal

AG was all about assignment football and gap integrity. The only problem was we would die the death of 1000 cuts with him

Let’s not forget that. AG/Dorito ran the quintessential risk-averse type of defense.

Manny comes in and does the exact opposite, and for the first few years he had the athletes to get away with it. His lack of coaching acumen and inability to recruit athletes that complement his hair-on-fire style of D is what killed him.

Advertisement
When I saw the title I was hoping the leading candidate for DE coach would be in OP.

AG was all about assignment football and gap integrity. The only problem was we would die the death of 1000 cuts with him

Let’s not forget that. AG/Dorito ran the quintessential risk-averse type of defense.

Manny comes in and does the exact opposite, and for the first few years he had the athletes to get away with it. His lack of coaching acumen and inability to recruit athletes that complement his hair-on-fire style of D is what killed him.
I remember when AG was here, the term “gap integrity” was an insult on the message boards. People clowned Al and No D for using that term. They wanted an aggressive defense that attacked and racked up tackles for loss. Well, that’s what Manny did. Unfortunately his recruiting and evaluations were weak so as more and more of his players came in, the worse the defense got. **** it was just a few years ago that I got burned here for saying Patchan needed to start because he actually could set the edge and play sound run defense. Nobody wanted to hear that then but now everyone wants gap integrity and guys who can contain and set the edge.

Advertisement
We’re gonna find out some of the linebackers we were told couldn’t get the mental side can actually play. That’s the reason I laugh at the we are in dire need of transfer linebackers crowd. All you had to do is look at how we played defense. Y do u think safeties would lead the team in tackles on a regular basis. They were cleaning up the mess the front seven had left them.

My wife would leave the house because I'd be screaming about Manny not setting the edge and his goofy loop way around stunt scheme! I feel sorry for the Brother at Penn State for choosing Mannie as his DC. He won't pull one top SOFL player and he will ruin their defense.
Good 😈

Advertisement
And anyone who called a poster a mope for calling out Manny’s gimmicky, unsound defense needs to be owed an apology. Now u heard it from current & former players that the chit was just sandlot. It worked against teams that couldn’t move the ball off GP, but any offense worth even the slightest **** gashed us.
I still can't believe that he was immediately hired by Franklin at Penn State. He brings absolutely nothing as a recruiter and his defense is an undisciplined mess after the novelty off the aggression wears off. Diaz should be ecstatic that he landed how he did with a very good P5 DC job.

I’m never a point the finger guy..I loved the Mario hire because it came with us being invested more and he’s gunna raise the talent acquisition level in the near future Instantly. I know what’s coming starting 23 class and beyond ..but all this off szn talking about the past from canes close to the program etc.. man this team BETTER go 10 wins or better..the coaches who were holding us back are out of the building...aye it’s gunna come time to cash that check..Cause when/if this team has the same struggles at times this place will lose it and it’s gunna be annoying asf

I still can't believe that he was immediately hired by Franklin at Penn State. He brings absolutely nothing as a recruiter and his defense is an undisciplined mess after the novelty off the aggression wears off. Diaz should be ecstatic that he landed how he did with a very good P5 DC job.
Lol It’s quite possible he’s respected as a DC. He’s been at various P5 spots. I know after 2018 he lost majority of this boards respect..he would be more respected if he had left after 2018

Advertisement
Lol It’s quite possible he’s respected as a DC. He’s been at various P5 spots. I know after 2018 he lost majority of this boards respect..he would be more respected if he had left after 2018
Angry No Way GIF

Me too I was waiting for real substance. Not the whole social media bs
I'll second that! This is why Mario said that culture and "swagger" are not t-shirt slogans or social media tag lines, the only way they are produced is through honest hard work, repetition and consistency. For too long our culture was based on talk. Yeah we're going to do this and we're going to do that. It means absolutely nothing because it's just empty rhetoric. When we can go into Clemson or ATM and just plain whip then without saying a word then we will know that we are back in business.

I'll second that! This is why Mario said that culture and "swagger" are not t-shirt slogans or social media tag lines, the only way they are produced is through honest hard work, repetition and consistency. For too long our culture was based on talk. Yeah we're going to do this and we're going to do that. It means absolutely nothing because it's just empty rhetoric. When we can go into Clemson or ATM and just plain whip then without saying a word then we will know that we are back in business.
U start talking when u are already clicking and rolling as a program. Then u can say whatever tf u want.

U start talking when u are already clicking and rolling as a program. Then u can say whatever tf u want.
No doubt! Remember the 2002 team going into Neyland Stadium in Knoxville to face Tennessee? The media was blowing it up like we were going to face real competition now because they were SEC blah blah blah. Our players didn't say much. We just casually went in there completely unfazed and beat them soundly. They had a long run that Kelly Jennings had a TD saving tackle on to open the game. With the ball on the 2, the defense held them out of the end zone, they kicked a FG and UT never threatened to score the rest of the game.

Advertisement
Back