SIAP - Rosier (NOT) Officially Named Starter for LSU??

g8rh8rMD

Not a Dr.
I haven't seen this anywhere else, and I would have thought it would be headlines everywhere if Richt really made this announcement, but David Lake posted this earlier today (it's not behind the pay wall), saying that Richt had announced Rosier would be the starter for LSU? I know this isn't really a surprise, we all kind of expect that will be the case, but I found it surprising that Richt would announce this after three days of practice after saying at the end of spring that the competition would continue this fall.

Did I just completely miss this piece of news, or did this go straight over my head, or what?

Excerpt - "Miami coach Mark Richt officially named Rosier as the starting quarterback for the season opener against LSU. Rosier demonstrated the best command and knowledge of the offense during the spring and with the Hurricanes opening the year against a top level SEC opponent, Richt decided the experience factor in going with Rosier was the right call for that game.

Rosier admits that news was a sigh of relief for him, but he also knows he has to continue to play well to keep the job.

“It was a sigh of relief,” Rosier said of being named the starter. “It still is a competition. If I come out and have a bad day then coach could say that N’Kosi or Cade is the guy. I can’t let my guard down. I have to show these guys that I am the starter.”

Full article: Miami Hurricanes Football QB Malik Rosier Looking To Leave A Legacy

Advertisement
You missed it

Richt said he was the starter at ACC Kickoff Media Day a few weeks back

I think he’s using Richt’s statement at ACC days and extrapolating to generate buzz and clicks.

Unless I see it from another source, an actual quote, I’m not believing it.

Advertisement
You missed it

Richt said he was the starter at ACC Kickoff Media Day a few weeks back

Richt’s statement that day was ambiguous. My interpretation of his statement was he left the door open, but just didn’t emphasize it.

In other words, the old “if the game was being played tomorrow, Rosier would be the starter.”

It’s a way to show confidence in his presumed starting quarterback, while still leaving the door slightly ajar for someone to beat him. At least that’s how I read it.

Over/Under on number of pages for this thread is set at 13.5

Yeah, mods feel free to delete and burn this thread. Not looking to start a forest fire here.

So I guess Richt said at media days: “He’s the starter,” “Malik is the starter. If something changes, I’ll let you know. Now, like even last year, after the second scrimmage, you’re pretty much looking at getting ready for your first opponent. Scrimmage three is pretty much like a practice game against LSU this year. That’s what we do for scrimmage three. Scrimmage one and two is still a highly competitive time, so if something is going to break, it would be during that time. But I don’t anticipate anybody knocking him out of the box right now.”

I don't know man, I just don't read that as Richt has "officially named Rosier the starter for LSU".

Richt’s statement that day was ambiguous. My interpretation of his statement was he left the door open, but just didn’t emphasize it.

In other words, the old “if the game was being played tomorrow, Rosier would be the starter.”

It’s a way to show confidence in his presumed starting quarterback, while still leaving the door slightly ajar for someone to beat him. At least that’s how I read it.

That's exactly how i understood it. If you're only named the starter in July for 1 game you're not safe, period.

Advertisement
Yeah, mods feel free to delete and burn this thread. Not looking to start a forest fire here.
So I guess Richt said at media days: “He’s the starter,” “Malik is the starter. If something changes, I’ll let you know. ...I just don't read that as Richt has "officially named Rosier the starter for LSU".

Because that statement wasn’t an official declaration of the starter.

But you know, Rudy needs his clicks.

That's exactly how i understood it. If you're only named the starter in July for 1 game you're not safe, period.
No position should ever be safe. Safe means we don’t have a 2nd and 3rd string full of capable, hungry *** dogs ready to step in at a moments notice.

Except he was not even named the starter for game 1. Saying you are expected to be the starter, and officially declaring it, are two different things. Read his statement. He leaves the door open.

Now, I think Rosier will end up being the starter, I just don’t think the guys behind him are catching him, but it’s still possible that they could.

Advertisement

True, but I don't even read that as naming him the starter for one game. He basically said he was the starter right now (as of day of quote), and that Richt didn't think someone else would take the job away in the limited time left, but that it could happen between scrimmages 1-2. So, in other words, he said that Rosier was currently QB1, but that COULD change before the LSU game.

Whatever, it's all pointless to argue about I guess, thank goodness football is almost here!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back