SIAP: Manny's Philosophy on Offense

watch the fsu tape, that pistol wasn't a coincidence, they adjusting, plenty of spread concepts emerged Saturday mixed in with the plays Enos already had implemeted

that rpo with the slant to thomas at the end should be our bread and butter moving forward

It’s not just the rpo.

It’s the run fake to a quick pass.

It doesn’t have to just be an rpo slant. That limits the offense.

Even under Richt we would run these type plays and they would work but he would abandon them for his core philosophy. Enos does the same thing.

The short pass used to open the run and deep passing game should be our core identity. It makes everything else work.

Even the under center playaction works when we don’t waste time looking downfield without enough blockers.

The fact it has taken Enos so long to see this and he still hasn’t gone all in when it was obvious from preseason what we needed to do, is what makes me doubt he is the guy that can take us to the next level and make us competitive with elite teams.

Advertisement
This is not that big a deal. For what it's worth, we barely ran any plodding Coker-T against FSU. We aren't running "pro style" circa 1995

What this continues to tell me is Coach diaz is a True Hurricane headcoach, we dont follow, we lead, our style of play will consistently out-do all those other soft offensive spread concepts. The ones on here complaining about what coach diaz said, apparently dont know what UM football is, football is not that complicated, what coach diaz wants to get back to is exactly what is needed around here, run the ball,stop the run and than bombed they **** ***. Coach diaz has studied and knows the formula, and thus far, he's headed in the right direction.

We're 5-4 in the weakest division in P5 with the best talent in the division.

Who are we leading?
What soft offensive concepts are we outdoing?

Again... we're 5-4

I mean, hes not necessarily wrong on where our offensive success WAS back when we were dominant...but also a kinda confusing statement with enos going stretches abandoning the run. Also like people above mentioned, there are definitely power spread concepts that could be lethal in miami if they were used. I just wanna see a multiple offense here, get the power formations, spread the field...clock control when needed, lightspeed ******* pace when the opposing defense is reeling..

Advertisement
I agree 100% and is why I’ve said many times all manny wants to do is control the clock and hope and pray his defense wins the game. It’s an old mentality of coaching and just doesn’t work consistently these days when everyone is putting a up a ton of points because your bound to have a game or two a year when your defense just comes out and doesn’t have there best day, that’s football. And thats exactly why you need to atleast consistently put up points to win today. The minute nick saban put that old style of coaching to bed should tell you everything. Going spread doesn’t mean you give up your power run game, depending on what spread you run. Spread doesn’t mean air raid, that’s just a version of the spread. I think the spread Uf and OSU run is perfect for us because it’s predicated on the zone power run but you also have your play makers spread out to do damage when you pass. And this helps the run game because now the defense can’t sit in the box. This is just another stubborn coach doing what stubborn coaches do and will be the downfall of Diaz.

RE: Clock management and defense forcing it's will on opponents.

After the Carolina Blue defeat, Diaz stated in the post game rap session. " 25 points was ENOUGH to win the ball game! " Again, according to Diaz, TWENTY-FIVE points was enough to win the Carolina Blue game. Now that's fresh.

So what happens when Miami's defense has an off afternoon against a Power 5 school?

RE: Clock management and defense forcing it's will on opponents.

After the Carolina Blue defeat, Diaz stated in the post game rap session. " 25 points was ENOUGH to win the ball game! " Again, according to Diaz, TWENTY-FIVE points was enough to win the Carolina Blue game. Now that's fresh.

So what happens when Miami's defense has an off afternoon against a Power 5 school?

Or better yet. What happens to Miami when the defense CAN'T defend " 4th down and 16 YARDS. ":kramer:

Bama LSU, Clemson and Ohio State do just this with a mix of concepts.

Onviously all mix in screen games but none run the air raid.

100% correct.

Bama, Clemson and OSU adopted the spread and exploded.....but they all use a power run game as well. LSU switched from a power run to a spread with power run concepts and are excelling.

The idea of spread isn't air raid. All it's doing is spreading the defense out, taking the numbers out of the box to make it easier to run. When they don't, you hit them over the top with your 3-4 pass patterns being run between WR/TE/RB.

Advertisement
From Barry Jackson:

Diaz made a comment this week that sheds light on why he wasn’t looking to add an offensive coordinator who would run exclusively a spread offense this season.
“We’re not a neutral brand,” Diaz said on Hurricane Hotline. “Everyone has an opinion on Miami. That’s why it’s important to get our program back to national relevance. Style of play matters to Miami. We’ve seen it on defense.”
He said on offense, Miami football - at its best, during the glory years - features “deep throws, a power downhill running game” and good quarterback play. That’s what he wants here, not an offense that spreads it out, throws most of the time, and doesn’t use much of a power running game.
“It’s been done [very well] before,” Diaz said of that offensive style. “Which means it can be done again.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article236890868.html#storylink=cpy

This is concerning to say the least.

Logic like this is what I think leads to the undoing of coaches.

Winning should be the most important metric.

It should ONLY matter that you win, not HOW you win.

This offense will be more than fine once the qb and oline are solid. We've ran 5 wide, double tight ends, wild cat, spread, rpo etc etc all year. Just get the W is the name of the game.

I agree 100% and is why I’ve said many times all manny wants to do is control the clock and hope and pray his defense wins the game. It’s an old mentality of coaching and just doesn’t work consistently these days when everyone is putting a up a ton of points because your bound to have a game or two a year when your defense just comes out and doesn’t have there best day, that’s football. And thats exactly why you need to atleast consistently put up points to win today. The minute nick saban put that old style of coaching to bed should tell you everything. Going spread doesn’t mean you give up your power run game, depending on what spread you run. Spread doesn’t mean air raid, that’s just a version of the spread. I think the spread Uf and OSU run is perfect for us because it’s predicated on the zone power run but you also have your play makers spread out to do damage when you pass. And this helps the run game because now the defense can’t sit in the box. This is just another stubborn coach doing what stubborn coaches do and will be the downfall of Diaz.
That’s not what he said. He said he wants to take shots but you have to have a competent run game. I think where you and manny disagree on is whether one can have competent run game in the spread.

What Manny wants is an offense that’s balanced and that can put pressure on the defense if they try to take an aspect of the offense away. The d seeks out to stop the run you hit them deep. He has said those are the offenses he hates as a defensive coordinator.

And because of his attacking style on defense the defense becomes even more lethal if they are up and the offense now has to throw.

Advertisement
Not concerned about the approach. More concerned with the execution. I firmly believe we don’t need to go to a spread in order to be explosive on offense. We can protect with 6/7 out of Pro/Ace and still aggressively/intelligently stretch the field.

Design and execution is what matters.

Dennis Ericsson one back offense was a hybrid spread with a power running game... this seems to be best suited for south Florida talent and our O-Line.. why hasn't any Miami coach tried to replicate this? Match the scheme to the available local talent.

Advertisement
From Barry Jackson:

Diaz made a comment this week that sheds light on why he wasn’t looking to add an offensive coordinator who would run exclusively a spread offense this season.
“We’re not a neutral brand,” Diaz said on Hurricane Hotline. “Everyone has an opinion on Miami. That’s why it’s important to get our program back to national relevance. Style of play matters to Miami. We’ve seen it on defense.”
He said on offense, Miami football - at its best, during the glory years - features “deep throws, a power downhill running game” and good quarterback play. That’s what he wants here, not an offense that spreads it out, throws most of the time, and doesn’t use much of a power running game.
“It’s been done [very well] before,” Diaz said of that offensive style. “Which means it can be done again.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article236890868.html#storylink=cpy

This is concerning to say the least.

Logic like this is what I think leads to the undoing of coaches.

Winning should be the most important metric.

It should ONLY matter that you win, not HOW you win.
Dammit Mane, I was having a good day

Manure won't be here that long so who gives af about his philosophy. Its amazing how the top coaches in cfb can adapt with the times and we get stuck with coaches from the Flintstones era.

EVERYONE says the spread is the way to go, but the spread offenses get owned by good defenses. Always have and always will. When Mariota was at oregon and played in the title game that offense got punished by auburns defense. And that was one of the better spread offenses in the last ten years. Our offense needs to be a hybrid of power run and getting the receivers in space. Enos offense has been poor but this team has dropped or flat out missed about 7 easy touchdowns that should never have been missed. those would have dramatically changed the outcome of the season. Plus our o line has slowly been improving which is making the offense look more competent.

Penos has looked great with play design.

Horrific at situational calls.

Jury is still out on his, and his position coaches, ability to develop players.

Advertisement
Back