SIAP: Manny's Philosophy on Offense

JackOAT

Sophomore
From Barry Jackson:

Diaz made a comment this week that sheds light on why he wasn’t looking to add an offensive coordinator who would run exclusively a spread offense this season.
“We’re not a neutral brand,” Diaz said on Hurricane Hotline. “Everyone has an opinion on Miami. That’s why it’s important to get our program back to national relevance. Style of play matters to Miami. We’ve seen it on defense.”
He said on offense, Miami football - at its best, during the glory years - features “deep throws, a power downhill running game” and good quarterback play. That’s what he wants here, not an offense that spreads it out, throws most of the time, and doesn’t use much of a power running game.
“It’s been done [very well] before,” Diaz said of that offensive style. “Which means it can be done again.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article236890868.html#storylink=cpy

This is concerning to say the least.

Logic like this is what I think leads to the undoing of coaches.

Winning should be the most important metric.

It should ONLY matter that you win, not HOW you win.

Advertisement
From Barry Jackson:

Diaz made a comment this week that sheds light on why he wasn’t looking to add an offensive coordinator who would run exclusively a spread offense this season.
“We’re not a neutral brand,” Diaz said on Hurricane Hotline. “Everyone has an opinion on Miami. That’s why it’s important to get our program back to national relevance. Style of play matters to Miami. We’ve seen it on defense.”
He said on offense, Miami football - at its best, during the glory years - features “deep throws, a power downhill running game” and good quarterback play. That’s what he wants here, not an offense that spreads it out, throws most of the time, and doesn’t use much of a power running game.
“It’s been done [very well] before,” Diaz said of that offensive style. “Which means it can be done again.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article236890868.html#storylink=cpy

I don't disagree with your thoughts but he's not wrong. LSU doesn't sling it around all over the place. They at least have a competent running game as well. Same with OSU.

Its not concerning at all. He wants to look a certain way, have a certain identity and there's nothing wrong with that. We dont have the personnel for it right now but that's why we are building. Vanilla spread offenses get smoked when they run into real defenses and start looking like a basic offense again. They only really give you an advantage when you are more talented than who you are playing. Yea its fun to put up 60 on sorry teams but if you can run the ball effectively and take some shots because of it you'll have an offense thats sustainable and can beat anyone.

Its not concerning at all. He wants to look a certain way, have a certain identity and there's nothing wrong with that. We dont have the personnel for it right now but that's why we are building. Vanilla spread offenses get smoked when they run into real defenses and start looking like a basic offense again. They only really give you an advantage when you are more talented than who you are playing. Yea its fun to put up 60 on sorry teams but if you can run the ball effectively and take some shots because of it you'll have an offense thats sustainable and can beat anyone.
I strongly disagree. We have one of the worst offenses in the country according to the stats. And what makes you think we’re going to get better? We’re losing Jeff and most like DeeJay next year. We need to try something different imo

Advertisement
From Barry Jackson:

I agree 100% and is why I’ve said many times all manny wants to do is control the clock and hope and pray his defense wins the game. It’s an old mentality of coaching and just doesn’t work consistently these days when everyone is putting a up a ton of points because your bound to have a game or two a year when your defense just comes out and doesn’t have there best day, that’s football. And thats exactly why you need to atleast consistently put up points to win today. The minute nick saban put that old style of coaching to bed should tell you everything. Going spread doesn’t mean you give up your power run game, depending on what spread you run. Spread doesn’t mean air raid, that’s just a version of the spread. I think the spread Uf and OSU run is perfect for us because it’s predicated on the zone power run but you also have your play makers spread out to do damage when you pass. And this helps the run game because now the defense can’t sit in the box. This is just another stubborn coach doing what stubborn coaches do and will be the downfall of Diaz.

I agree 100% and is why I’ve said many times all manny wants to do is control the clock and hope and pray his defense wins the game. It’s an old mentality of coaching and just doesn’t work consistently these days when everyone is putting a up a ton of points because your bound to have a game or two a year when your defense just comes out and doesn’t have there best day, that’s football. And thats exactly why you need to atleast consistently put up points to win today. The minute nick saban put that old style of coaching to bed should tell you everything. Going spread doesn’t mean you give up your power run game, depending on what spread you run. Spread doesn’t mean air raid, that’s just a version of the spread. I think the spread Uf and OSU run is perfect for us because it’s predicated on the zone power run but you also have your play makers spread out to do damage when you pass. And this helps the run game because now the defense can’t sit in the box. This is just another stubborn coach doing what stubborn coaches do and will be the downfall of Diaz.
Couldn’t have said it any better

Ok I understand what your trying to say here but that kind of offense is
Predicated on having a top offensive line which we don’t have and have never really had besides the early 2000s. And if you look at Diaz’s recruiting of the oline this year when the only UM quality player we got is rivers, what makes you think he’s going to be able to consistently recruit that type of oline to win a title down here? Unfortunately south Florida doesn’t put a lot of those guys out so our one advantage with recruting them doesn’t exist down here. Where as a power zone spread like UF and OSU run hides the deficiencies on the Oline so you can compete for a title.

And if you can run the ball, whether b/c of speed or power or whatever, even when the other team knows you are going to run the ball, you demoralize the other team. It's been done to us consistently over the last 10 years and it is so painful to watch (ND in Chicago; the GaTech losses; and others). If we can do that to other teams, I welcome it.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want a plodding slow running offense that is only effective in the snow. That's not what I'm saying and that's not what Manny is saying, or at least that's not how I take it. But getting a lead through the air and on the ground, then preserving the win by running a 210+ pound runner in the 4th quarter would be excellent. It's what happens in the NFL approximately 16 times every week.

Advertisement
The fact that he equates "spread" to "throwing the football all the time" is really, really concerning.

You can run power spread concepts and be **** effective doing it. It's just mind boggling to me that his view of spread schemes would be that backward.

Last edited:

Isn't that us?

We all want to smash Clemson, but we need to beat 2-6 Georgia Tech first.

The major point here is being hyper focused on a particular offensive and/or defensive approach instead of prioritizing wins regardless of either is shortsighted.

Its writing off an entire philosophy that may get you results because you'd rather "look a certain way." Miami wouldn't be **** if it didn't win. Ppl remember our Defense and Offense because it WON first and foremost, not because of how it was played. That's secondary

and you don't have to look too far back to find examples of staffs that failed because of this approach.

Advertisement
We don't have the run and shoot to be successful, we just need an OC that will play to our player's strengths. With this OL, a power run game isn't going to be our strength

Clueless comment from diaz. The type of offense he wants doesn't win anymore. Even bama and lsu went away from that old shìt. Clemson is 6th in rushing and 33rd passing. Osu is 3rd rushing and 67th passing.

His job will be on the line soon as the offense continues to struggle and they find new excuses.

Advertisement
You can still have those things and still have a “spread” style offense. Would like to speed the tempo up a little, if we are still last or close to it in 3rd down conversions next year I’d hope he change some things up.

I know a guy who used to be a playcaller who has a bunch of plays that worked for the last 30 years.

Kidding aside, as our Oline play improves, we should see better offensive performance. Whether we can get recruits and/or transfers that help us quicker is another issue. It would suck to have to rely on just the same handful of guys.

it's fine to want to run this type of system but he **** sure better go get him a BUNCH of big time road graders like the LSU's,OSU's and the Clemson's of the world have.

You can't run this system with revolving doors playing end to end on the Oline

Advertisement
Back