SIAP: M4: Watershed Moment(s) for Golden Era

kennesaw_cane

Freshman
This is a few days old, but it obviously rehashes what we've all been complaining about for years. See link. The 2 pictures posted showing Denzel 7 yards deep on 1st down and the goal line situation where there is only 4 down lineman just blows my mind how this atrocious defensive staff (and Grohlden) are still employed. I've been a fan of the canes since '83 (young boy) and I have never seen a defense in all of college football this $hitty. ****, PJ fired Groh after 2 crappy seasons, why do we have to be tortured? It most be karma from the '91 Cotton bowl.

http://www.stateoftheu.com/2014/10/6/6916253/m4-watershed-moment-s-for-golden-era

Advertisement
The defensive alignments are no different from some others facing flex bone offenses.

The defensive alignments are no different from some others facing flex bone offenses.

We didn't cover the center and Perryman was playing centerfield like he was Jim Edmonds, so yes it actually is different.

Advertisement

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 12.15.39 AM.jpg

(Loss of 4 yards on the play)

I wont have the time to do it during the week but i wish someone could go thru all GT games that they can find the replay and see how every team play them on Less than 5 to get into the endzone.

Who cares about the alignment, it's the results that matter, 300+ yds rushing allowed and another L. I don't give a **** if you line up 11 across the front, make some **** plays, what you are currently doing isn't working. Also, firing coach D is not the answer, Golden has got to go.

Advertisement

Even if its not different at what point do you say **** this isn't working and try something else. Zero adjustments from Donut and Folden.

We didn't cover the center and Perryman was playing centerfield like he was Jim Edmonds, so yes it actually is different.

Mike deeper than normal. Center uncovered.
View attachment 26314

Goal line. 4 man front.
View attachment 26316

What you fail to realize is that both these screenshots were taking after a full quarter of play during which both teams had already shut down the fullback. Once you shut that down, you adjust to the pitch or whatever else they decide to run. Our problem is we never shut down the fullback.

View attachment 26314

Goal line. 4 man front.
View attachment 26316

What you fail to realize is that both these screenshots were taking after a full quarter of play during which both teams had already shut down the fullback. Once you shut that down, you adjust to the pitch or whatever else they decide to run. Our problem is we never shut down the fullback.

It goes beyond that really. In picture 1, what are the DTs asked to do? Are they flying into the A gap to shut down the dive? In picture 2, the right Defensive Tackle looks like he's in 1-tech or even more aggressive (he's not covering the Center, but he's aggressively inside the A-gap to the right of the LG). In that case, he'd be at an advantage over what we were doing on Saturday.

Any way you slice it, it comes down to a decision to be safer than the alternative. No thank you.

View attachment 26314

Goal line. 4 man front.
View attachment 26316

It goes beyond that really. In picture 1, what are the DTs asked to do? Are they flying into the A gap to shut down the dive? In picture 2, the right Defensive Tackle looks like he's in 1-tech or even more aggressive (he's not covering the Center, but he's aggressively inside the A-gap to the right of the LG). In that case, he'd be at an advantage over what we were doing on Saturday.

Any way you slice it, it comes down to a decision to be safer than the alternative. No thank you.

Yep, the screenshot only shows part of the story. The other part is what the DL is asked to do. Read and react and hold their gaps or penetrate the gaps? It is still beyond me how the coaches expect the former approach to work. You're basically asking a DL to hold up blockers and shed while the opposing RB is already attacking and penetrating the LOS. The DL/defense is working the LOS parallel to it while the offense is attacking it downhill. Just makes no sense.

Also, as for the OP, I don't have an issue with 4 DL on a goal line. What concerns me more is how far back everyone else is off the LOS. Look at VT - they crowd the LOS with the LBs.

Advertisement

View attachment 26314

Goal line. 4 man front.
View attachment 26316

Yep, the screenshot only shows part of the story. The other part is what the DL is asked to do. Read and react and hold their gaps or penetrate the gaps? It is still beyond me how the coaches expect the former approach to work. You're basically asking a DL to hold up blockers and shed while the opposing RB is already attacking and penetrating the LOS. The DL/defense is working the LOS parallel to it while the offense is attacking it downhill. Just makes no sense.

Also, as for the OP, I don't have an issue with 4 DL on a goal line. What concerns me more is how far back everyone else is off the LOS. Look at VT - they crowd the LOS with the LBs.

Totally agree it's about what they are asked to do vs how they aligned some/most of the time. That's the point. There were times where it looked tighter but regardless it was a fail defensively for a number of reasons, not just because how they lined up.
Btw, Navy ran for 370 yards but only scored 17 vs Ohio State.

Advertisement
Back