SIAP Josh Pate talks Miami recruiting 12/15

Advertisement
Couldn't have taken 8 minutes to say any of that better myself. As usual, hits the nail right on the head.

I'll just say this to gator and nole fans.......you better be right. You better be right that he can't coach. You better be right that the multiple conference championships and Rose Bowl win were total flukes, he lucked into them, and he can't coach his way out of a paper bag. Because I have 1 fact for you:

Miami will have more talent than you will, VERY soon. Period.

So you better hope that this dude is a complete fraud and can't coach a lick. Cause if you're wrong, you're gonna get your *** busted for a long, long time.

**** recruiting class average last 5 years is like 11.6 (excluding this year) and people still talking about us having no talent! I need to see guys get developed better and put into systems that match also. That’s what we are lacking here. We are doing a better job recruiting, but the rest of it has to get better also!

**** recruiting class average last 5 years is like 11.6 (excluding this year) and people still talking about us having no talent! I need to see guys get developed better and put into systems that match also. That’s what we are lacking here. We are doing a better job recruiting, but the rest of it has to get better also!
I agree with you.

But I'd rather underperform with top 5 classes than top 15 classes.

Advertisement
Couldn't have taken 8 minutes to say any of that better myself. As usual, hits the nail right on the head.

I'll just say this to gator and nole fans.......you better be right. You better be right that he can't coach. You better be right that the multiple conference championships and Rose Bowl win were total flukes, he lucked into them, and he can't coach his way out of a paper bag. Because I have 1 fact for you:

Miami will have more talent than you will, VERY soon. Period.

So you better hope that this dude is a complete fraud and can't coach a lick. Cause if you're wrong, you're gonna get your *** busted for a long, long time.
Butch Davis wasn’t a good X and O’s guy, got called a bad game manager and all. Like you said they better hope Mario can’t coach or even better they better hope he doesn’t get the right assistance

I’ve done a lot of reflecting on this. Go look at those classes and see how many of them ended up staying into their junior years. It will shock you

I’ve done a lot of reflecting on this. Go look at those classes and see how many of them ended up staying into their junior years. It will shock you
Bingo, fact is Mario’s classes at Oregon have been similarly ranked to ours the last 4-5 years… difference is their highly ranked guys are getting drafted while ours are transferring to g5 schools

Advertisement

Bingo, fact is Mario’s classes at Oregon have been similarly ranked to ours the last 4-5 years… difference is their highly ranked guys are getting drafted while ours are transferring to g5 schools
It's about the overlooked aspect of recruiting ... evaluations. You need to get the right guys (for the system you want to run).

That also presumes you have a solid idea of your system, and the staff is tuned in and in sync with it. All this nonsense about Gattis indicates we're not there yet.

A lot of it is development but dont forget another major factor is many of our 'blue chip' players couldnt actually commit to the Georgias or Alabamas. They werent takes for them. We were getting left overs.

Then look at guys like Lingard. I think that was more missed eval than it was development. I believe Manny was recruting based on stars by 247/rivals rather than actual evaulation which is what I believe we are getting now with Mario and the increased football budget.

Butch Davis wasn’t a good X and O’s guy, got called a bad game manager and all. Like you said they better hope Mario can’t coach or even better they better hope he doesn’t get the right assistance
I remember back in the day how many people were angry at Butch because he wasn't a good HC. There used to be a college football chat room on AOL, and people laughed at Butch. But Butch could recruit could evaluate talent.

Yes, we need to develop players. But now we have a chance at developing studs.

Advertisement
Problem is those classes were smoke and mirrors. Most of the kids never did a **** thing at Miami or anywhere else. Like another poster said our evals were bad and many of the highly rated kids we got were not as heavily pursued by the elite recruiters. We were getting top 5 scraps that were high likelihood to bust.

As much as it is cliche, I truly believe it is a cultural thing. Sure, there are some people that will go into a bad (or even 'fine') situation and not let it deter them from doing what they need to do to be their best, but the majority of people are going to assimilate to that culture or decide to leave it.

No doubt there are 5 star busts everywhere, but I have no doubt that if you took our highly rated kids that ended up busts that at least some of them would have done much better if they had gone to a school like Alabama, UGA, Clemson, etc where the expectations are higher. Not necessarily b/c the coaching is better (it is/was), but b/c you see how everyone else conducts themselves and you have no choice but to do the same if you want to be able to play.

I think the opposite is true as well, some of those players that have done well at Alabama, UGA and Clemson probably would have been failures at Miami. My hope is that Mario is able to change that culture. We know other coaches have tried and failed, hopefully the combination of Mario's insanity when it comes to recruiting, a better support system and (perhaps most importantly) the combination of the portal and removal of initial counters, Mario will succeed where others have failed.

Then we just need to hope that cultural will lead to results that trump any poor gameday decisions...

Advertisement
I love how he refers to Mario as a "psychopathic" recruiter lol. The only difference is Mario’s prescription is Cafe con Leche and guava turnovers.

Advertisement
Back