SIAP, Jacory Harris on Footballville...

footballville is definitely giving you so much insight of the former players and what they had to deal with. Crazy to think that when the other team knows the play that they coaches still wanted him to run that play like no audibles nothing
Precisely.

That's the difference between Fisch & Whipple...Fisch got His QBs to the point to where they were a coach on the field, whereas Whipple wanted His QBs to be robots & $h!t.

Richt was like Whipple, too.

Advertisement
Precisely.

That's the difference between Fisch & Whipple...Fisch got His QBs to the point to where they were a coach on the field, whereas Whipple wanted His QBs to be robots & $h!t.

Richt was like Whipple, too.
Egos man.....in coaching if you can't take criticism your done especially if u can't change. That's in anything really......**** Saban changed his offensive philosophy.

This entire interview changed my opinion of Jacory. First of all, its a great interview. The whole thing has great content. Second, the kid is smart as ****.
30:15 is where Jacory breaks down the entire Travis Benjamin fade to the pylon up in Tallahassee in '09. He actually made me go back and watch that game.

Last edited:
So we're going to blame Jacory, despite the fact that he played under the two worst head coaches here in the last 40 years (Shannon, Golden) and the worst offensive coordinator in program history who is entirely out of coaching (Patrick Nix). That's your take? Blame the kid? Who
Correction regarding Nix. He's still coaching. Just in high school. Lol
Full disclosure though. If he doesn't have a good season this year I expect them to run him out of there. LOL

Advertisement
As flawed as Jacory was, Ive said for the longest, put him in spread(up-tempo) and he's a better college QB. It's something he alluded to, that he thought he was coming into at Miami - which was a system similar to what he ran at Northwestern.

Honestly, same could be said of Kenny Kelly(after the 99 BC miracle comeback) and Brock Berlin (after the comeback vs Florida) where Miami out of desperation went to a hurry up/spread-type of attack to great success. That should've been a signaling of some sort of evolution, but instead this program became the last family with a VCR on the block with the pro-set attack.

Last edited:
This entire interview changed my opinion of Jacory. First of all, its a great interview. The whole thing has great content. Second, the kid is smart as ****.
30:15 is where Jacory breaks down the entire Travis Benjamin fade to the pylon up in Tallahassee in '09. He actually made me go back and watch that game.

Same...not just the catch, but the whole game.

As flawed as Jacory was, Ive said for the longest, put him in spread(up-tempo) and he's a better college QB. It's something he alluded to, that he thought he was coming into at Miami.

Honestly, same could be said of Kenny Kelly(after the 99 BC miracle comeback) and Brock Berlin (after the comeback vs Florida) where Miami out of desperation went to a hurry up/spread-type of attack to great success. That should've been a signaling of some sort of evolution, but instead this program became the last family with a VCR on the block with the pro-set attack.
If we had made the move to a more modern offense back in the mid 2000’s the program would never have fallen off like it did. They were able to keep things afloat for a while with incredible defenses but as time went on, even top defenders got tired of carrying the offense every week.

Advertisement
So we're going to blame Jacory, despite the fact that he played under the two worst head coaches here in the last 40 years (Shannon, Golden) and the worst offensive coordinator in program history who is entirely out of coaching (Patrick Nix). That's your take? Blame the kid? Whoa.
Many shoulder the blame for losses, not just one. I dont have the desire to go around blaming people. I just don’t want him qbing this 2021 team Nix is a hs head coach still

The funny thing is, the offense actually scored more with Whipple than with Fisch. Even though Fisch is credited with getting Jacory to reduce turnovers and improve his accuracy. People want to blame all the deep passes for the turnovers but that’s literally how Miami scored points then.

For example

2009 Harris/Whipple: 59% 24/17 Td/int 30.3
ppg

2011 Harris/Fisch: 65% 20/9 Td/int 26.5 ppg

So the offense actually scored less despite Harris having much better numbers. It had nothing to do with the running game either because they actually ran for more yards in 2011 than 2009.

I omitted 2010 because Harris missed three games and only played partially in a few others but they still averaged 26.3 ppg with true freshman Morris making 1/3 of the passing attempts.

Whipple gave MIA the 7th best Offense in the country in 09'. How much better do you think a spread philosophy would of made the Offense? He's a great kid, but this whole notion that a spread Offense would've suddenly turned Jacory into a Heisman contender is ridiculous. During his time @ MIA Jacory played at 185 lbs soaking wet. He was always going to be a physically limited QB regardless of what system was implemented.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So we're going to blame Jacory, despite the fact that he played under the two worst head coaches here in the last 40 years (Shannon, Golden) and the worst offensive coordinator in program history who is entirely out of coaching (Patrick Nix). That's your take? Blame the kid? Whoa.
Nix is a successful high school coach.

Whipple gave MIA the 7th best Offense in the country in 09'. How much better do you think a spread philosophy would of made the Offense? He's a great kid, but this whole notion that a spread Offense would've suddenly turned Jacory into a Heisman winner is ridiculous. During his time @ MIA Jacory played at 185 lbs soaking wet. He was always going to be a physically limited QB regardless of what system was implemented.
Harris was already running a spread system in high school. And nobody said it would have made him a Heisman winner. Just that it would have made Miami a legitimate offensive team instead of being mediocre or worse the last 20 years. Also, you may want to double check your stats. Miami was 45th in total offense and 30th in scoring offense in 2009.

Harris was already running a spread system in high school. And nobody said it would have made him a Heisman winner. Just that it would have made Miami a legitimate offensive team instead of being mediocre or worse the last 20 years. Also, you may want to double check your stats. Miami was 45th in total offense and 30th in scoring offense in 2009.

That doesn't make sense to me. Also, you're looking at all of the wrong stats. To actually understand how good the Offense was that yr, you have to look at the advanced analytics, and S&P ratings for that yr. Total Offense is more or less a worthless metric. Again, Whipple led MIA to the 7th best Offense in the country in 09'. What does the link that I posted below say?

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/sp/overalloff/2009

Last edited:
Advertisement

That's the thing, and I guess you have to listen to the interview to really get what Jacory was getting at. But nobody here is stating that in a spread that Harris becomes skinny Vince Young or anything. But just that he's a more effective player, and overall, our program would have been better off in the long run.

I could be wrong, but from what I recall is that in 2009, Miami's offense was really humming the first month or so, then it became very inconsistent. And that's another thing Jacory said in the interview, as there was more tape on Whipple's stuff, teams understood how to defense Miami better.

That's the thing, and I guess you have to listen to the interview to really get what Jacory was getting at. But nobody here is stating that in a spread that Harris becomes skinny Vince Young or anything. But just that he's a more effective player, and overall, our program would have been better off in the long run.

I could be wrong, but from what I recall is that in 2009, Miami's offense was really humming the first month or so, then it became very inconsistent. And that's another thing Jacory said in the interview, as there was more tape on Whipple's stuff, teams understood how to defense Miami better.
Jacory said in the interview that as that season went on, Whip's scheme and play calling never changed despite teams accumulating scouting reports and film on UM games.

Advertisement
Back