SIAP: Free Butch

Advertisement
Advertisement
Every school does that it's a well known fact.. i think real sports had a peace on that a few months back...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...vestigation-says-advisers-pushed-sham-classes

"A report commissioned by the University of North Carolina says school academic advisers steered athletes into sham classes over an 18-year period but does not directly implicate coaches or athletic administrators in the scheme."

Looks like the problems were much bigger than any one coach at UNC.

Impossible! UNC is a prestigious academic institution! This cannot have happened!

[/Sarcasm]

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...vestigation-says-advisers-pushed-sham-classes

"A report commissioned by the University of North Carolina says school academic advisers steered athletes into sham classes over an 18-year period but does not directly implicate coaches or athletic administrators in the scheme."

Does anyone really believe that no coaches knew anything?!?

What I believe and what investigators can prove are two different animals. I think every coach at UNC, from basketball to women's volleyball, knew these were easy courses. Coaches weren't the only ones who knew it. Academic officials and the President knew it too.

As others have mentioned, happens everywhere. Article says it has been going on since 1999. It reinforces the argument that Butch was made a scapegoat.

Advertisement

Does anyone really believe that no coaches knew anything?!?

Are you really suggesting that Dean Smith knew about this and did nothing about it?

Every school does that it's a well known fact.. i think real sports had a peace on that a few months back...

I know at least one school that didn't. When I was a lecturer there during grad school, the advisors took a direct interest in ensuring that athletes went to class, up to walking the football players there and asking the profs how they were doing. They even set up one on one tutoring sessions with professors.

The school: Miami
The years: Late 90s
The coach: Butch Davis

"The report also detailed a 2009 meeting that academic advisers held with the North Carolina football staff. The meeting, which came as Crowder was retiring, included a slide that noted that the classes were "part of the solution in the past" and allowed athletes not to go to class, not to take notes, not to meet with professors and not to engage with the material.

Butch Davis, the UNC football coach at the time, said he did not remember the presentation and said that while he was aware there were classes that were easier, he did not know that the seminar courses were graded by an administrator."

This report was done on UNC's dime like PSU's Freeh report. Yes, the NCAA will go all in and then change course because Mary Mark and the Funky Bunch won't sanction State U's for long or with meaningful sanctions. Years investigating? Nope, crucify Butch via innuendo.

Let's see if this is where the Good Ol Boys of UNC with deep pockets come to fruition....

Little to no additional punishment.... remember UNC is not like US.... If this was UM they would look to nail us to the cross

Advertisement
"The report also detailed a 2009 meeting that academic advisers held with the North Carolina football staff. The meeting, which came as Crowder was retiring, included a slide that noted that the classes were "part of the solution in the past" and allowed athletes not to go to class, not to take notes, not to meet with professors and not to engage with the material.

Butch Davis, the UNC football coach at the time, said he did not remember the presentation and said that while he was aware there were classes that were easier, he did not know that the seminar courses were graded by an administrator."

This report was done on UNC's dime like PSU's Freeh report. Yes, the NCAA will go all in and then change course because Mary Mark and the Funky Bunch won't sanction State U's for long or with meaningful sanctions. Years investigating? Nope, crucify Butch via innuendo.

+1 for the profile pic

I believe Butch does have documentation that shows he was not implicated or guilty
Of any wrong doings with the UNC scandal

He is free and clear and ready to take charge

c4s_dsvis021212_210215a_8col.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back