SIAP - F$U Bowl Eligibility

Vanderhooooov

Sophomore
After that lame re-scheduling of the Louisiana-Monroe game, this would be my favorite thing of all-time

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/7lac2l/fsu_may_not_be_bowl_eligible/

Florida State is scheduled to play in a record 36th consecutive bowl game, the Independence Bowl, against Southern Miss on December 27. Their 6-6 record includes a win over Delaware State, an FCS program. For an FCS opponent to be countable towards bowl eligibility, the FCS program must have awarded at least 90% of the FCS scholarship limit. After our own investigation, we have determined and confirmed that Delaware State has not met the 90% threshold set by the NCAA. As a result, Florida State's bowl countable record is 5-6, thus making them ineligible for a bowl game this season. At present, there are three other bowl eligible teams that were not offered a game and it would be unprecedented for a team to go bowling without either eligibility or a waiver while teams who are eligible stay home.

Advertisement
****, if this were Miami ESPN would have Emmert on the 6 pm show announcing we can't play in the bowl. Let's see if they enforce this. We know they won't because fsu will get better ratings than any of the other teams that would take their place.

Advertisement
****, if this were Miami ESPN would have Emmert on the 6 pm show announcing we can't play in the bowl. Let's see if they enforce this. We know they won't because fsu will get better ratings than any of the other teams that would take their place.

The CrimiNoles are a relatively decent ratings draw, still, so the NCAA won’t be saying sh*t.

I wish this would happen but nothing is gonna get done since the game is in 6 days, unfortunately

Yes, I am sure ESPN would want to cancel a game they have the TV rights to 6 days before the name is played.

Edit: only read the first sentence (my bad), but the same would hold true for Miami.

Advertisement
game is less than a week away. Unimaginable that it would be cancelled or that FSU would be replaced by another team at this point. They're playing in the game, whether they earned it or not.

Usually I would say this is pretty minuscule and digging into the finest of fine print! But this is the ******* NCAA an organization that will bar a kid from playing an entire season for getting a tattoo or taking a car ride from the wrong person. It holds the players to every syllable of the rule book! Sit FSU and send another team.

Advertisement

When it gets picked up by the NY Times or Wall Street Journal, that's when the egg on the face begins to form. I don't see why they couldn't postpone the game a week, invite the next team on the list and go ahead and play the game without FSU.

All of that said... none of this will happen. Fun and hilarious angle though. Nice show of incompetence by FSU, unless they knew about the scholarship issue and re-scheduled the game anyway just figuring that no one would make a stink about this and knowing their name brand would get them a bowl game, as long as they managed to get to .500.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back