SIAP: College Football Playoff's board discusses possibility, potential of restructuring how college football is governed

I think the biggest threat to college football, is expansion that have, and continue to destroy local matchups. Certain regions survived off these games and alot of them have been eliminated or will be soon. Games played for 100 years or similar time scale. That for me is more dangerous than playoffs or anything else to do with money. I wouldn’t mind if we played one of the Florida schools not named FSU home and home every year. UCF, USF, FAU etx. I also think the Texas schools would benefit from that as well. The sport would grow locally overall instead of one or 2 schools being ok and the rest on life support. Of course i only care about Miami but i don't think that scenario would hurt us either.

I started thinking about all the annual California games that are eliminated with USC and UCLA joining the BIG. What is some neutral fan in the Bay gonna care about UCLA playing Nebraska?
I would not schedule USF, UCF, FAU, or FIU. Period. The game does nothing for Miami. Nothing. Those programs are only our rivals in their mind.

I would not mind Florida on the schedule annually. Or at least a home-and-home with a year or two off in between.

I prefer a wide variety of OOC games. The ACC is disinteresting enough, Miami should schedule series with better teams, like they’ve done with Florida, TAMU, and Auburn, or at least different teams like BYU and South Carolina. Plus we have games with ND with the Irish’s agreement with the ACC.

Some fans (not you) would be fat and happy playing the same 12 games every season.

Advertisement
When are fans going to accept the regular season is already a playoff.

I don’t understand how the goal is not to have every power conference involved in possibly winning a national championship and expanding who gets big-time recruits
So you’d want 12 teams, maybe 16?

One problem is the serious power imbalance currently in CFB. I don’t think adding more CFP teams solves the parity issue. Right now the result would be dull blowout first-round games. And we already have a fair share of those.

In the current CFP environment I doubt an underdog, a 12th or 16th seed, could win multiple CFP games on the way to a NC.

The only way to achieve real parity, in my opinion, is to reduce roster sizes. Start dropping from 85 to 80, then to 75, then maybe to 70. Max signing class size of 20, or fewer. This will force players who would sign with the usual elite recruiting programs like Alabama, UGA, or Ohio State to sign elsewhere. No other choice.

Bring up the mid-tier teams and drop the elite programs.

I disagree. The gap will become so large between us and a USF or FAU that it’s just gonna be a regular beating, and not carry the traditional appeal that you are referring to. The only consistent interesting match ups will be national ones.

It’s a new era of football, let the old die. We can drink beers over the nostalgia of the old days but there’s going to be no bringing it back.
I think that's the biggest threat. Not playoff expansion, not NIL, not bags. Those local games brought the sport when 2 teams with losing records came together and it meant nothing nationally but it mattered to the locals. U get a losing record team flying across the country to play teams they never played, who are not big brands. Be careful. Im for forward thinking but not every new thing is a plus.

One problem is the serious power imbalance currently in CFB. I don’t think adding more CFP teams solves the parity issue. Right now the result would be dull blowout first-round games. And we already have a fair share of those.

In the current CFP environment I doubt an underdog, a 12th or 16th seed, could win multiple CFP games on the way to a NC.

The only way to achieve real parity, in my opinion, is to reduce roster sizes. Start dropping from 85 to 80, then to 75, then maybe to 70. Max signing class size of 20, or fewer. This will force players who would sign with the usual elite recruiting programs like Alabama, UGA, or Ohio State to sign elsewhere. No other choice.

Interesting solution. I would say one other perk to bringing more teams to the party is less guys skipping games that matter.

Advertisement

Not a bad idea at all!

There may be some things that make the purists and traditionalists angry.
However, I am hoping that a new restructure and new governing could bring in some good changes.

If they truly want to make it a Semi-Pro game let's play with Semi -Pro rules. No more down even if no one is around (make it a down by contact game.) Get rid of the pansy targeting rules and just make it a personal foul like any other violent personal foul. Two feet inbounds for a first. No more fair catching on kickoffs.

Things like that can make the game more entertaining and make me less apprehensive about change. They probably don't care about stuff like that but they should if they want to keep the old guys happy.

Advertisement
Back