SIAP - Al Golden with Big Dog 04-08

Advertisement
On R. Scott: Talented. Plays big, physical. Really focused. Challenged him after the first scrimmage. Responded. Great support at home. Needs to mature and become a leader – which he has done.

Getting a feel for a player’s mental makeup: A lot has to due with the family. No trap doors. “No excuse mentality.” Own mistakes and take responsibility and then move forward.

Scrimmage/Progress: Great effort. Not a lot of penalties. Extremely physical. Very pleased with Chcik and Olsen Pierre. Both stronger, playing with low pad level. L. Robinson and Porter also praised. Excited with the grow of the team and the attitude overall. Hard time deciding the most improved on both sides of the ball. That’s a good thing (has not been the case in the past).

On Dallas Crawford: Doesn’t want to be a backup anything. Big competitor. Use him in slot, screen game. Unselfish, team player. Annihilating rushers in blitz pickup. Running the ball well inside and outside, catching the ball well too. Endurance and explosiveness better. Playing at a very high level.

On the O-Line: Right now, Wheeler and Wells most improved. TG really growing up and a big surprise. Isadoira is at 308 now and looks good. Bunche has played G and T this spring. Flowers is setting the bar for energy and toughness level.

Importance of early commitments: Need to have a discussion about offering scholarships to fresh and soph kids (discussion as in a NCAA discussion). Are they ready? Could be too early. By Junior year, they have started to attend camps. Coming out of the NCAA mess, and it is trickling down to the kids. Discussed a kid making a commitment today (Gibbons). Said “hopeful.” % of early commits not staying committed way too high the past couple years, but Golden understands why. Blistered every day in the media. Hoping to offer the right kids and families and hopefully they do it for the right reasons. Overall as long as the communication is strong and everyone is on the same page, they tend to hold up.

On Spring Game: If they have a healthy week, want to have two teams. Last two scrimmages were about situations, getting everything installed. Spring game is for kids to recognize where they are on the field in diff. situations and parts of the field. Will post Orange and White teams either today/tom. Always a great event. Family friendly. Guys like Duke, Morris always fun to watch.

Impact of a great scrimmage?: Not just about the units/team – about the players. This is not the pro bowl. Trying to improve team. Only so many opportunities. Need everyone on the same page. Every needs to be locked in and playing full speed. That’s how you stay healthy. Important week of practice right here. Want August to be practice 16 and not practice 1.

Does your wife give input on team?: Never gets involved. All of the wives follow the program religiously, actively involved in recruiting too. At the cookout last Thursday, higs and kisses for the kids (Al’ wife). Get attached to them. Only gets upset if a young man makes a poor decision off the field.

Really, really hoping Crawford can become a dependable backup. That's the one glaring spot on the offense

Advertisement
Crawford will make a name this year as a utility guy. ONLY thing he lacks is elite top end speed which duke has. I can see him getting 50-70 carries at 5 ypc with 20-30 receptions with >4 TDs. Crawford is a ball player and has been silently and patiently waiting on scout team and special teams. He will be relied on this year.

Crawford will make a name this year as a utility guy. ONLY thing he lacks is elite top end speed which duke has. I can see him getting 50-70 carries at 5 ypc with 20-30 receptions with >4 TDs. Crawford is a ball player and has been silently and patiently waiting on scout team and special teams. He will be relied on this year.

I think the speed thing is overrated for what he does. He is really shifty and gets open and he reminds of a thicker Collier. The other thing is he can throw the ball and I would love to do some stuff with that.

Crawford in the Wildcat gives a legitimate run/pass option, but I think he's going to do most of his damage in the slot.

Does your wife give input on team?: Never gets involved. All of the wives follow the program religiously, actively involved in recruiting too. At the cookout last Thursday, higs and kisses for the kids (Al’ wife). Get attached to them. Only gets upset if a young man makes a poor decision off the field.

She gets it...

Advertisement
Big Dog warns AG at the end: "Probably gonna warm up with a few cold ones, before I see ya..." Al like lolwut? Good times.

Really, really hoping Crawford can become a dependable backup. That's the one glaring spot on the offense

I liked him in the wildcat last year and he runs a lot harder than I expected he would. I feel like he should be a contributor.

Advertisement
Back