Shout out to Columbus boys for having a big hand in getting their boy home. Well done

Advertisement
I won't dwell on the past, but how did they let us end up with Manny? This could have been done 3 years ago. That is what irks me. Wasted 3 years.

I won't dwell on the past, but how did they let us end up with Manny? This could have been done 3 years ago. That is what irks me. Wasted 3 years.

Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom to rebound. Pre-Manny, UM would have never committed the resources to UM Football that it is committing now. But these last 3 years of Manny pushed everyone over the edge. Without Manny's amateurish tenure, there's no Kirk Herbstreit calling out the administration, and Blake James would still be roaming the halls of the Hecht.

No, sir. The failed Manny Diaz experience was the medicine UM Football desperately needed to get us functional. If there is anything I can say for Manny Diaz, it is that he failed so obviously and spectacularly that the entire CFB world took notice, forcing change at UM.

I thank Manny Diaz for being so putrid a corch that UM will never be that terrible again.

Thank you! Way to put the right pressure on him to come home. I know that it wasn’t an immediate yes given the issues that were present. Your ability to address the issues with the leaders in the university so that we could have a clear path to him making a pure decisions is appreciated. This will change the trajectory of this program and hopefully all of the sports within the U when DR gets here.

Advertisement
Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom to rebound. Pre-Manny, UM would have never committed the resources to UM Football that it is committing now. But these last 3 years of Manny pushed everyone over the edge. Without Manny's amateurish tenure, there's no Kirk Herbstreit calling out the administration, and Blake James would still be roaming the halls of the Hecht.

No, sir. The failed Manny Diaz experience was the medicine UM Football desperately needed to get us functional. If there is anything I can say for Manny Diaz, it is that he failed so obviously and spectacularly that the entire CFB world took notice, forcing change at UM.

I thank Manny Diaz for being so putrid a corch that UM will never be that terrible again.
I sincerely thought when we got Richt we had made these same commitments. I guess that is my underlying issue. Build the IPF put all this money in only to hire Manny Diaz? Never made sense to me, still doesn't. But that is in the past and I'll focus on the brighter days ahead.

I sincerely thought when we got Richt we had made these same commitments. I guess that is my underlying issue. Build the IPF put all this money in only to hire Manny Diaz? Never made sense to me, still doesn't. But that is in the past and I'll focus on the brighter days ahead.

A drop in the bucket compared to what they are doing now. Better days ahead, for sure!

Just to be the contrarian to everyone's Manny is trash fiesta, but a big part of everything that went down this season was due to expectations. We were expected to have a great season and fell flat on our faces early which led to the embarrassing call-outs. Keep in mind, those expectations were set based on last year's results under Manny. We just didn't live up to them.

This is not to say Manny didn't deserve to get fired, just that not everything has been doom and gloom under Manny. Unfortunately, he was just in over his head to meet the expectations of this job on a consistent basis.

don't live in s. florida but it sounds like columbus alumni have done well and are connected throughout south florida

Advertisement
Just to be the contrarian to everyone's Manny is trash fiesta, but a big part of everything that went down this season was due to expectations. We were expected to have a great season and fell flat on our faces early which led to the embarrassing call-outs. Keep in mind, those expectations were set based on last year's results under Manny. We just didn't live up to them.

This is not to say Manny didn't deserve to get fired, just that not everything has been doom and gloom under Manny. Unfortunately, he was just in over his head to meet the expectations of this job on a consistent basis.

When Alabama put up 41 points in the first 38 minutes of a football game to open the season, it wasn't fan expectations that got UM blown out.

When we nearly lose our home opener to App State, but miraculously manage to come from behind in the second half to win by 2 points thanks to a gifted safety off a terrible long snap, it wasn't fan expectations that took two TDs off the board for UM (because of penalties) and made it much too close for comfort.

When we got beaten to a bloody pulp by MSU, it wasn't fan expectations that caused us to miss those 30 tackles or fan expectations that allowed Walker to run for 172 yards.

When we came out flat and were trailing UVA in the 4th quarter at home, but meekly went for a field goal to win (and miss), it wasn't fan expectations that put us in that terrible spot.

When, coming off a bye week, UNC ran for over 225 yards against us (an improvement, I guess, over 2020), it wasn't fan expectations that made the defense vulnerable and porous against the run (or made them one of those worst tackling teams in the history of UM).

When Manny's defense couldn't get off the field on 4th and 14 against a putrid Forfeit State team that lost to Jacksonville State this season, it wasn't fan expectations that had our secondary unprepared to execute the play.

It was Manny Diaz. He was the HC responsible for the team's performance at every stage. Plain and simple.

Fan expectations? GTFOH with that cherry jell-o, soft serve, excuse-machine-created, hyper-apologetic bull****.

When Alabama put up 41 points in the first 38 minutes of a football game to open the season, it wasn't fan expectations that got UM blown out.

When we nearly lose our home opener to App State, but miraculously manage to come from behind in the second half to win by 2 points thanks to a gifted safety off a terrible long snap, it wasn't fan expectations that took two TDs off the board for UM (because of penalties) and made it much too close for comfort.

When we got beaten to a bloody pulp by MSU, it wasn't fan expectations that caused us to miss those 30 tackles or fan expectations that allowed Walker to run for 172 yards.

When we came out flat and were trailing UVA in the 4th quarter at home, but meekly went for a field goal to win (and miss), it wasn't fan expectations that put us in that terrible spot.

When, coming off a bye week, UNC ran for over 225 yards against us (an improvement, I guess, over 2020), it wasn't fan expectations that made the defense vulnerable and porous against the run (or made them one of those worst tackling teams in the history of UM).

When Manny's defense couldn't get off the field on 4th and 14 against a putrid Forfeit State team that lost to Jacksonville State this season, it wasn't fan expectations that had our secondary unprepared to execute the play.

It was Manny Diaz. He was the HC responsible for the team's performance at every stage. Plain and simple.

Fan expectations? GTFOH with that cherry jell-o, soft serve, excuse-machine-created, hyper-apologetic bull****.
I think you misunderstood what I meant by expectations and I completely agree with everything you're saying there. I'm talking about the national expectations that got us preseason ranked based on last year's results (which wasn't all great last year either, but there were plenty of positive signs). All I'm saying is the hindsight commentary from everyone is making it out like he did nothing good here and never had any good results when preseason National perception says otherwise.

Believe me, I was just as critical after each of those games. I actually had a small argument after the App St. game with 2 friends (1 of which was an app st fan), that Miami looked bad more than App st looked good. They were trying to convince me Miami was fine and App St was better than people believed.

I knew the season was completely done after the UVA loss and Manny 100% had to be fired after the UNC and FSU losses.

It was the returning seniors and the potential that represented that drew the national attention. Not that Manny was building something, as he likes to claim.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back