Should the NCAA require teams to provide injury reports?

SinCityCane

Recruit
I can understand why most coaches prefer to keep injury information private, but I think a strong case can be made for requiring detailed weekly injury reports now that sports betting has been legalized nationwide. Having just a few select people with access to injury info that could be worth big money can always lead to shady things done by people looking to capitalize. You can even take it a step further & point out the fact that fans pay to go to games & make time in their lives to watch them on TV; even though it's collegiate, it is a product...with money being made on all sides...& a case can be made that the consumers deserve to know what they're getting for their money/for the time they set aside to watch it on TV (which provides advertising revenue).

Granted, any such requirements would probably only apply to game weeks, but this could be an issue worth considering as there's nothing in place at the moment...I know the ACC used to require weekly reports for conference games but stopped a few years ago. They are required in the NFL.

Advertisement
I can understand why most coaches prefer to keep injury information private, but I think a strong case can be made for requiring detailed weekly injury reports now that sports betting has been legalized nationwide. Having just a few select people with access to injury info that could be worth big money can always lead to shady things done by people looking to capitalize. You can even take it a step further & point out the fact that fans pay to go to games & make time in their lives to watch them on TV; even though it's collegiate, it is a product...with money being made on all sides...& a case can be made that the consumers deserve to know what they're getting for their money/for the time they set aside to watch it on TV (which provides advertising revenue).

Granted, any such requirements would probably only apply to game weeks, but this could be an issue worth considering as there's nothing in place at the moment...I know the ACC used to require weekly reports for conference games but stopped a few years ago. They are required in the NFL.

Put a rule into place because some folks who have nothing else of value occurring in their lives need to know minute-by-minute injury status of a team? Much ado about nothing.

Advertisement
You choose to bet on sports, that's on you. It's not on the organizations to put injury reports out, because you bet on stuff. People should have a right to privacy, and their medical information is just that.
Why is it that you think the NFL makes every organization put out an injury report every single week?

Advertisement
You choose to bet on sports, that's on you. It's not on the organizations to put injury reports out, because you bet on stuff. People should have a right to privacy, and their medical information is just that.
Gonna go on a limb and say part of an nfl contract is forfeiting hipaa rights in cases of physical injury that affects playing time.

Why is it that you think the NFL makes every organization put out an injury report every single week?
It's all window dressing. 1/2 the guys on the team are listed as questionable. Only guys out have had surgery and everyone knows they aren't playing.

Advertisement
Gonna go on a limb and say part of an nfl contract is forfeiting hipaa rights in cases of physical injury that affects playing time.
NFLPA negotiates that stuff, mostly because they know Fantasy Football and Gambling matters. That said, if the NFLPA decides they don't give a crap about that stuff anymore, they can tell the NFL to kick rocks in the next CBA. They have that right, NCAA student athletes don't have a union.

All injuries on the team end up being reported at some point. Even if it's just availability, as long as gambling is a part of the game more timely reports make sense.

Advertisement

It’s amazing how many people on here don’t understand the concept of medical privacy. In essence, and it’s been codified by law, you own your medical information. So only medical providers (etc) can have access to it.

It’s fairly straightforward.

I would imagine that in most cases where specific information isn’t disseminated by the athletic department/school, it’s either because nothing is certain yet, say for example a diagnosis isn’t complete without further testing, or just as likely, or maybe even more likely, the patient/family has not given approval.

What are people suggesting? That we pressure families into releasing medical information?

How about we release the medical records of CIS posters that seem to be obsessed with other people’s medical information. I have a feeling we will see a lot of micropenis diagnoses.

Advertisement
Back