shortage of high school officials

Advertisement
I wouldn’t mind doing it, these days you have to worry about getting sucker punched or worse at these peewee games let alone high school.

Advertisement
Go watch one half of a competitive pee wee or high school game...I wouldn't do that for $1,000 per game.

I came here to porst this. I reffed little league soccer my frosh year in college to help make ends meet.

I was lucky to get out of that gig with no felony charges. The parents seem to want to get shot.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I have been officiating High School and little league football for 11 years. The adults are always the problem when there is one. A handful of former alumni of my association are current ACC officials.

I have been officiating High School and little league football for 11 years. The adults are always the problem when there is one. A handful of former alumni of my association are current ACC officials.

So you've got a bunch of blind men on your crew?

****, here in the DMV (DC-Maryland-Virginia) we have a shortage of high school players. To the point where a handful of high schools cancelled their seasons.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I was a basketball official for over a decade. You have to have a certain mindset and just smile at the fans if they insult you. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even when every CYO coach thought he could act like certain college coaches. If you can focus on the game, your positioning and your judgment, it can be fun. Officials make decent money now, and at the college level they make very good money. It is fair to expect them to know the rules and not make those kind of mistakes. It is fair to expect them to be part of the game, but not who the crowd wants to see perform. Make calls within the context of the game, instead of trying to impress everyone. Let the players play. As far as the parents are concerned, ignore them unless they use profanity or vulgarity. Some of their comments can actually be fairly clever. Finally, give the officials credit when they make the right call, even if it does not go your way.

Advertisement
Back