Short yardage

JoshJetson

Recruit
We did a Great Job completing yardages play, But it made me wonder..

We should have a heavy Wildcat package with Deejay and/or Homer at QB. Maybe even Rosier just for running plays..

What do y’all think ?

Advertisement
I was very nervous because once I saw Gray in there with 1 yard to go, the whole world knew what was coming. I def think we should add a little more variety but it hasn't been stopped yet so props to our interior for getting enough push.

Keep giving it to Choc till someone stops it.

I'd like to see us run from the I more. Is it just me or does our line seem to run block better than in shotgun?

If we get a lead and want to run the ball effectively to churn clock, put Perry under center and have Gray/Dallas behind him. Mix in the FB belly to Gray with pitches/stretches to Dallas. If we want to get cute, run a PA pass, roll Perry strong side, and have a levels concept - WR deep from the weakside, TE intermediate, FB short. Leak Dallas out weakside late running flat to wheel as a checkdown if we need it.

Rosier is a better short yardage runner, but I don't want to open that Pandora's box by mixing him in on short yardage...unless Perry cannot play a down for whatever reason, the snaps are his. Wildcat would probably be the better option over that anyway.

Why would you change something working **** good . Change the things not working. Plenty of that to be concerned about.

Advertisement
Choc needs to be on the field more! Let him get the 1st down and then give him the first rep.

Kind of related but eventually we gotta hit that fake FB dive to a pitch or pop pass play, right?
I am in agreement...sooner or later that play has to be in the playbook, the fake dive, pitch the other way play. I bet if we don't see it before we see it at VT. That is one of those plays where you save it until you really need it.

More fullback passes to choc please? That’s play is tough to defend, and you can use it on 1st downs for 7-8 yard gains. It’s a nice easy pass to make to get you in 2nd and manageable.

Advertisement
Gray's effectiveness on the FB dive in short yardage/goal line situations has really had a huge impact on our offense's ability to stay on the field. It does seem like there will be the opportunity to either go play action off of that play, fake the pitch and toss it wide, bootleg, or get Gray involve in the passing game. By showing a couple of these variations, I think it will make the actual FB dive even more effective with the potential threat of something else coming.

Fake FB dive & hit Brevin. It will go for 7. I hope they put it in. I’ve been calling for it since I saw the choc dive play.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back