X's and O's Short passing game review (Crossing routes)

Stevo365

Freshman
Premium
Some of the great calls OC Rhett Lahslee makes on 3rd down in the short passing game that we were not able to hit on. Look for these to hit in 2021 in year 2 of the lashlee era where a full offseason should really help with bread & butter plays like these. 1.OL needs to provide better protection
2. King needs more reps in the offense

Last edited:
Advertisement
You can see the combination of a short quarterback and an offensive line that was weak up the middle is a bad recipe for completing passes over the middle
That's it, but with the interior being basically the same, will just the addition of Donaldson make enough of a difference?

Advertisement
Few things. Yes we need improved OL play. Little QB's like King need the OL to create vision lanes. He is not good throwing on the move. Lastly, would rather see Breshard Smith on those crossing routes than Pope. Pope, even when he catches the ball, gets folded like newspaper. Breshard has strength to break tackles or get across the line (from HS film).

Scaife is back at tackle. He may be the starter at right tackle. I'm assuming they brought in a transfer guard in case Rivers can't cut it. I think Clarke is the odd man out.
Sounds like Clark won't be ready for the start of the season, anyway. Might just work out without anyone getting "beat out"

Advertisement
Some of the great calls OC Rhett Lahslee makes on 3rd down in the short passing game that we were not able to hit on. Look for these to hit in 2021 in year 2 of the lashlee era where a full offseason should really help with bread & butter plays like these.

OP the1st slant play is on King, he literally had 3 secs of pass protection. If King throws Wiggy open then its a completion

Advertisement
I think Deriq needed some time to get used to a new style of offense. PFF said it before last season that Lashlee might need to implement more run and shoot concepts instead of Air Raid, because that was what he was used to run at Houston. It also became evident when Miami tried to run option plays and King made the wrong decision because he never ran them really before.

Especially with these middle reads, if you arent used to making these in game situations or at least simulations in practice (which we didnt really have, because of lack of practice), these things happen very quickly.

Advertisement
Something that also hurts King is our splits up front. That's a small detail that helps the short Qb's in a true air raid system. I wonder if we see a change with better OL play.

With just a little better O line play, do those passes get completed? Will Donaldson give us just enough to do that?
we need better tackle and G play as well as reps in practice so if king has to let it go he has a spot in mind. Year 2 we need to hit these

Also, nice video @Stevo365 Good job pointing out the nuances in formation and motion. It’s clear that Lashlee likes to use a vertical route to clear space for a crosser on third and medium. Good concept, poor execution too often.
Thank you for checking it out bro!

Something that also hurts King is our splits up front. That's a small detail that helps the short Qb's in a true air raid system. I wonder if we see a change with better OL play.
I'm surprised we didn't use wider splits too

Advertisement
Back