Short Article - Hoilett Arriving Early

FRCane

Sophomore
VERO BEACH — Dwayne Hoilett has decided to keep the University of Miami's recruiting momentum at top speed.

The Vero Beach High School football defensive standout has enrolled early and will begin classes Jan. 24 at the Coral Gables school. Hoilett will return home for national signing day next month and graduation in May.

"I'd planned on staying and finishing up, but the Miami coaches said they really need me down there," said Hoilett, a 6-foot-3, 220-pound defensive end for Vero Beach.

"They need defensive linemen, so I'm excited to get my college career started."

The Hurricanes received a big boost Saturday when defensive back Deon Bush of Miami-Columbus and defensive end Tyriq McCord of Tampa-Jefferson, both highly-ranked recruits, committed to Miami on national TV at the Army All-American Bowl.

Hoilett, who met McCord on his official visit to UM last month, is rated No. 24 by Rivals.com among the nation's top weakside defensive end prospects and had 52 tackles and seven sacks as a senior. McCord grids No. 7 at the same position.

The Hurricanes' class of 30 commitments ranks No. 6 in the Rivals.com team rankings. The list is topped by Alabama, who claimed the national championship Monday night in a 21-0 win over LSU.

"It really means we're recruiting well," said Hoilett, who committed to Miami last June and only took one official visit.

From a football standpoint, early enrollees get a head start on conditioning and developing relationships with their position coaches and teammates, culminating with playing in the spring scrimmage.

Vero Beach football head coach Lenny Jankowski said the Miami coaches wanted Hoilett to come in early to help with depth issues along the defensive line.

"It's all football specific," Jankowski said of Hoilett's decision. "They have a shortage of depth at his position. He'll benefit from strength and conditioning and get three big meals a day. Their goal is to put 20 pounds on him and get him to his playing weight right away.

"He didn't play any sport until the ninth grade, so his best football is ahead of him. Getting to Miami early and going through spring practice allows him to get a leg up on the rest of the signing class."

But Miami's gain comes at the expense of the Vero Beach basketball team.

A forward for the Fighting Indians basketball team (10-4), Hoilett's last games for coach Chuck Loewendick will be this weekend in the Bill Marine Memorial Classic.

"Any time you take away a good athlete, it's going to affect your team," Loewendick said. "We knew the possibility was out there. And give him credit for putting himself in his academic situation to do it.

"We're happy for him."

Advertisement
15.gif

Advertisement
Back