Shemar Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is true…….it’s not a flip. I’d also be very cautious of the language in these deals. I’m never against the kid and family doing what is best for them but $1 million or whatever the amount is comes to a drop in the bucket of what could be. 18 year olds are easy to play in general so I hope it works out for the best.
For a premier DE looking at first round contracts, yes. For a running back? I’d take the money in todays world.

Advertisement
We’ll see what happens but as of now the risk far outweighs the reward on the decision. Marketing (regardless of who’s doing it) only gets you so far in terms of how you’re evaluated for the NFL. The players you referenced as being drafted without playing high level college football are the exception, not the norm and of those players the majority played the same position at the same school (it wasn’t Jackson State).

It’s clear the only reason they are going is the money and Deion as Jackson St never had and still doesn’t have the resources to properly develop players of this caliber to the NFL. With the NIL moving the developmental structure of college football to a competitive business market for players (something I agree with BTW) more and more 18 year olds will be thrust into an environment of perform or die. They’re used to a high school environment where they’re the star, they always get their way, and believe they can do anything with unwavering impressionability. Some walk into a buzzsaw without even realizing it.

I enjoyed the FSU meltdowns as much as anyone but I have legit concerns for the specifics of the deal and how players with the potential of Hunter (or another kid in that category) will fair under circumstances like this. I hope it works out for them but I hope from Miami’s perspective (under a new regime of multi-billionaires and first class professionals in football and sports) they are laying out specific plans for young men that will have them thriving financially both now and in the future under a big-time college football program in a big-time market. These young men will decide for themselves, but the better structure usually garners better sustained success.

Also would like to know the language of the deal in regards to a transfer…….that would play a big role as well.
Oh, look at this, an adult trying to look at this critically. Well put.

In all honesty, I don't think Deion will be there 3-4 years from now. And that is no insult, it is just an observation of what he is accomplishing.

Look around us, Mel Tucker got nearly $10 million per year for a handful of solid games earlier this year, before Michigan State regressed back to the mean of their last 100 years. Deion is doing amazing things, bringing long-denied resources to a sadly-overlooked corner of college football. More power to him. But there is no way in **** that he is going to keep doing this for another 3-4 years. Some university will pay him an 8-figure salary to bring his heart-warming storylines and heart-burning recruiting abilities to good ol' State U. And, ****, it might even be FLORIDA State U.

There will be two interesting dates to watch. One will be less than 2 months away, when we can finally and fully assess Cornrow Memphis White Mike's recruiting class. The other will be about 10 months from now, when we can assess F$U's on-field performance again.

I have never been a fan of Neon Deion's, going back to my time at UM when Neon Deion was committing theft at the Edison Square Mall and taking an AIDS Awareness class for college credit just to remain academically eligible. But I can absolutely respect what he has done at Jackson State.

And I can also be honest in saying he's not staying there for the long haul.

I get what you’re saying but I’m a bit optimistic he stays because I just don’t know his motives. I don’t know if he really loves coaching enough to aspire to the p5 ranks. I always saw Deon in the same light as Magic Johnson. They make so much money off the Court/field that is it worth it for them to fully commit. I didn’t think Deon had to take JSU job but he was fully committed to HBCU scene that he completed his degree at an HBCU about 2 years prior to accepting the job at JSU. I just don’t know with him but I don’t think this is your natural coaching as ascension strategy.

However, if he does leave I think it’s because his son was drafted and moved on.

I’d go to JSU for free if BarStools first NIL let me smash.
1639598319823.png

I get what you’re saying but I’m a bit optimistic he stays because I just don’t know his motives. I don’t know if he really loves coaching enough to aspire to the p5 ranks. I always saw Deon in the same light as Magic Johnson. They make so much money off the Court/field that is it worth it for them to fully commit. I didn’t think Deon had to take JSU job but he was fully committed to HBCU scene that he completed his degree at an HBCU about 2 years prior to accepting the job at JSU. I just don’t know with him but I don’t think this is your natural coaching as ascension strategy.

However, if he does leave I think it’s because his son was drafted and moved on.

I would just say this. Deion wanted the F$U job. I have no idea if he would have excelled at the job, but I don't think he is just "happy to stay at JSU" forever, either.

As a player, Deion chased the money. I'm not blaming him or degrading him, but he did, and that is well-established. So I think that when he gets big money offers, all of the other arguments for staying at JSU will be "outvoted".

I don't know if he will succeed at any other university, but I know that other universities are impressed that Deion is able to bring outside/third-party resources to the table, and that he has been winning games. Most universities hire on "potential", and Deion has a lot of potential as a coach.

Advertisement
We’ll see what happens but as of now the risk far outweighs the reward on the decision. Marketing (regardless of who’s doing it) only gets you so far in terms of how you’re evaluated for the NFL. The players you referenced as being drafted without playing high level college football are the exception, not the norm and of those players the majority played the same position at the same school (it wasn’t Jackson State).

It’s clear the only reason they are going is the money and Deion as Jackson St never had and still doesn’t have the resources to properly develop players of this caliber to the NFL. With the NIL moving the developmental structure of college football to a competitive business market for players (something I agree with BTW) more and more 18 year olds will be thrust into an environment of perform or die. They’re used to a high school environment where they’re the star, they always get their way, and believe they can do anything with unwavering impressionability. Some walk into a buzzsaw without even realizing it.

I enjoyed the FSU meltdowns as much as anyone but I have legit concerns for the specifics of the deal and how players with the potential of Hunter (or another kid in that category) will fair under circumstances like this. I hope it works out for them but I hope from Miami’s perspective (under a new regime of multi-billionaires and first class professionals in football and sports) they are laying out specific plans for young men that will have them thriving financially both now and in the future under a big-time college football program in a big-time market. These young men will decide for themselves, but the better structure usually garners better sustained success.

Also would like to know the language of the deal in regards to a transfer…….that would play a big role as well.

None of those draft picks that came in were 5 ⭐️ athletes coming out of high school. Tutus Howard was a 6’2 215 QB that grew to 6’6 300 while in college. They were late bloomers. Hunter and Stewart are ready to go now. And the comp argument is a bit overrated. If guys have the athletic ability and measureables they would get drafted high. If they put 3 consecutive years of dominance together they’ll get drafted high. We haven’t seen anything in modern recruiting like this, however if you go back to the 80’s & 90’s we can see countless examples of fcs athletes going in the 1st round. And like I said, Deon has the connections to get the kids enough exposure to get drafted high. He can’t make an nfl team draft anyone but he created a great platform where they will get that opportunity.

There's Jackson State.

There's Jacksonville State.

There's the city of Jacksonville, FL (which ironically, is not home to Jacksonville State University)

Advertisement
I would just say this. Deion wanted the F$U job. I have no idea if he would have excelled at the job, but I don't think he is just "happy to stay at JSU" forever, either.

As a player, Deion chased the money. I'm not blaming him or degrading him, but he did, and that is well-established. So I think that when he gets big money offers, all of the other arguments for staying at JSU will be "outvoted".

I don't know if he will succeed at any other university, but I know that other universities are impressed that Deion is able to bring outside/third-party resources to the table, and that he has been winning games. Most universities hire on "potential", and Deion has a lot of potential as a coach.

I get where you are coming from and I agree with everything you said but I just don’t know his true motives. I personally felt he could have taken a g5 job. You’re right, he chased the money. Your argument would be the strategy of someone who wants to move up the coaching ranks but I don’t know if Deon wants to coach that long. I only gave him 4-5 years and all would be at JSU then he bounces.

None of those draft picks that came in were 5 ⭐️ athletes coming out of high school. Tutus Howard was a 6’2 215 QB that grew to 6’6 300 while in college. They were late bloomers. Hunter and Stewart are ready to go now. And the comp argument is a bit overrated. If guys have the athletic ability and measureables they would get drafted high. If they put 3 consecutive years of dominance together they’ll get drafted high. We haven’t seen anything in modern recruiting like this, however if you go back to the 80’s & 90’s we can see countless examples of fcs athletes going in the 1st round. And like I said, Deon has the connections to get the kids enough exposure to get drafted high. He can’t make an nfl team draft anyone but he created a great platform where they will get that opportunity.
We’ll see what happens, and like I said I hope it works out well for Hunter (and Stewart if that’s the decision) but two things…………no high schooler is ready for the NFL they still need significant development and secondly, we’ll see about that platform as there have been no established results for kids transitioning to the next level at Jackson St so at best these kids are a part of the test case.

You guys are trying to crown a coach that went 4-3 in his first season...how about maybe he wins 5-6 games before saying Deion is worthy of a G5 job.

Advertisement
We’ll see what happens, and like I said I hope it works out well for Hunter (and Stewart if that’s the decision) but two things…………no high schooler is ready for the NFL they still need significant development and secondly, we’ll see about that platform as there have been no established results for kids transitioning to the next level at Jackson St so at best these kids are a part of the test case.

I never said kids are ready to jump straight to the league. I’m saying like most kids they are only going to college because they have to. Most kids with nfl potential use college as a placeholder and select their institutions on outside factors. They are the test case for the modern era but JSU had 2 1st round picks in 2000. The team hasn’t bed consistently strong for a while but they have a rich history of putting players in the league. Jimmy Smith former All Pro WR for Jax was a 2nd round player from JSU. Hunter and if they get Stewart will be their first recruits with nfl potential straight out of HS. It’s different but the comp won’t be what holds them back.

Advertisement
Not really a test case.. Those guys will be fine. Players go to the NFL from the FCS level every year. If you can play, the NFL will find you.

Before integration, HBCU's were the only path to the NFL African American student athletes. They put the best players into the NFL.

Not really a test case.. Those guys will be fine. Players go to the NFL from the FCS level every year. If you can play, the NFL will find you.

Before integration, HBCU's were the only path to the NFL African American student athletes. They put the best players into the NFL.
I never said kids are ready to jump straight to the league. I’m saying like most kids they are only going to college because they have to. Most kids with nfl potential use college as a placeholder and select their institutions on outside factors. They are the test case for the modern era but JSU had 2 1st round picks in 2000. The team hasn’t bed consistently strong for a while but they have a rich history of putting players in the league. Jimmy Smith former All Pro WR for Jax was a 2nd round player from JSU. Hunter and if they get Stewart will be their first recruits with nfl potential straight out of HS. It’s different but the comp won’t be what holds them back.
Like I said, we’ll see what happens. We’ll never agree on colleges just being placeholders as I’m a firm believer in not only the importance of player development but also the data that shows certain programs doing it better than others (a conversation that Jackson St isn’t even worthy to be in). Not just with coaching but also resources/structure, as I don’t believe any high school player is an NFL shoe in. No idea what the deal specifies with transferring but if it’s strict the decision has significant risk that will either be a trailblazing moment for college football or an epic fail. I hope it’s the prior that fits more in the mold of the rare draft picks you referenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back