Shemar Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
If kids are being paid $1 million just to attend college, I would expect every kid/family to take that money. The NFL is not a guarantee but, with proper investing and compound interest, $1 million at 18 years old should be enough for a lifetime. Of course after buying cars, shoes and jewelry like most 18 year olds will, that money will last until sophomore year.
Not sure about a life time but it’s a good start. Don’t forget about taxes my man.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If this is true…….it’s not a flip. I’d also be very cautious of the language in these deals. I’m never against the kid and family doing what is best for them but $1 million or whatever the amount is comes to a drop in the bucket of what could be. 18 year olds are easy to play in general so I hope it works out for the best.

If this is true…….it’s not a flip. I’d also be very cautious of the language in these deals. I’m never against the kid and family doing what is best for them but $1 million or whatever the amount is comes to a drop in the bucket of what could be. 18 year olds are easy to play in general so I hope it works out for the best.
They don’t want to listen. I brought that up with the Hunter deal.

Advertisement
If kids are being paid $1 million just to attend college, I would expect every kid/family to take that money. The NFL is not a guarantee but, with proper investing and compound interest, $1 million at 18 years old should be enough for a lifetime. Of course after buying cars, shoes and jewelry like most 18 year olds will, that money will last until sophomore year.
Lot of people going to get in trouble with the tax man. I guarantee it.

No question but the NIL laws are still so ambiguous it will be almost impossible for the NC2A (I’m an old school Jerry Tarkanian fan) to do anything, and because NIL is based on a US Supreme Court decision, schools can now sue the NC2A in court for every attempting to levy penalties.
The NC2A is up the proverbial creek without a paddle. but the best part is that the NC2A doesn’t even know how screwed they are right now. The first court case will expose the issue.

I said this a couple years ago. The ncaa cut its own throat and it will die a much deserved death. For years people have been grumbling that it wasn't fair that coaches were getting $12 million salaries, schools were making hundreds of millions, the ncaa brass were making millions, and players got nothing. Oh wait, players got tuition and frequently left college as functionally illiterate. Ncaa had endless chances to reform but it chose to dig in its heels and continue to use the laughable phrase "amateur student athlete." A kid on a music scholarship could get paid for a concert performance and keep his scholarship, but a kid risking CTE and a broken neck couldn't accept money if related to football. The ncaa chose inaction. Now it has to deal with the consequences.

Advertisement
Yea and if they play like they are projected it’s an even better move. Imagine JSU with 2 1st round picks in 3 years.
players play to their level of competition.

they won't be first round picks because they are playing juco college level talent

but regardless I don't imagine hunter staying there and I don't honestly think stewart will go

I said this a couple years ago. The ncaa cut its own throat and it will die a much deserved death. For years people have been grumbling that it wasn't fair that coaches were getting $12 million salaries, schools were making hundreds of millions, the ncaa brass were making millions, and players got nothing. Oh wait, players got tuition and frequently left college as functionally illiterate. Ncaa had endless chances to reform but it chose to dig in its heels and continue to use the laughable phrase "amateur student athlete." A kid on a music scholarship could get paid for a concert performance and keep his scholarship, but a kid risking CTE and a broken neck couldn't accept money if related to football. The ncaa chose inaction. Now it has to deal with the consequences.
Very well written and spot on. The NC2A made their bed.

Advertisement

they won't be first round picks because they are playing juco college level talent

but regardless I don't imagine hunter staying there and I don't honestly think stewart will go

You make that statement like Trey Lance didn’t play 1 season of ball on the fcs level. There have been 3 1st round picks since 2016 and none of them were 5 ⭐️ recruits coming out of hs. If they dominate they can become a 1st or 2nd round.

We’re also talking 3-4 years from now, Deon will schedule some fbs opponents and they’ll shine against them. I wouldn’t be surprise to see JSU upset a top 25 team in the next 2 years. Plus Prime, is great at marketing. He’ll make sure those two 5 stars get in the 1st round.

And why do you think Hunter will transfer? If Hunter could go straight to the league he would go. JSU will be a placeholder until draft day for the young man. And we talk about 💰 all the time regarding recruits. Some of the these “powers” were only able to get some recruits because of the 💰. The NIL has made it legal and Prime can compete because he has the backing. I can see Hunter staying for 3 years.

You make that statement like Trey Lance didn’t play 1 season of ball on the fcs level. There have been 3 1st round picks since 2016 and none of them were 5 ⭐️ recruits coming out of hs. If they dominate they can become a 1st or 2nd round.

We’re also talking 3-4 years from now, Deon will schedule some fbs opponents and they’ll shine against them. I wouldn’t be surprise to see JSU upset a top 25 team in the next 2 years. Plus Prime, is great at marketing. He’ll make sure those two 5 stars get in the 1st round.

In all honesty, I don't think Deion will be there 3-4 years from now. And that is no insult, it is just an observation of what he is accomplishing.

Look around us, Mel Tucker got nearly $10 million per year for a handful of solid games earlier this year, before Michigan State regressed back to the mean of their last 100 years. Deion is doing amazing things, bringing long-denied resources to a sadly-overlooked corner of college football. More power to him. But there is no way in **** that he is going to keep doing this for another 3-4 years. Some university will pay him an 8-figure salary to bring his heart-warming storylines and heart-burning recruiting abilities to good ol' State U. And, ****, it might even be FLORIDA State U.

There will be two interesting dates to watch. One will be less than 2 months away, when we can finally and fully assess Cornrow Memphis White Mike's recruiting class. The other will be about 10 months from now, when we can assess F$U's on-field performance again.

I have never been a fan of Neon Deion's, going back to my time at UM when Neon Deion was committing theft at the Edison Square Mall and taking an AIDS Awareness class for college credit just to remain academically eligible. But I can absolutely respect what he has done at Jackson State.

And I can also be honest in saying he's not staying there for the long haul.

We’ll see what happens but as of now the risk far outweighs the reward on the decision. Marketing (regardless of who’s doing it) only gets you so far in terms of how you’re evaluated for the NFL. The players you referenced as being drafted without playing high level college football are the exception, not the norm and of those players the majority played the same position at the same school (it wasn’t Jackson State).

It’s clear the only reason they are going is the money and Deion as Jackson St never had and still doesn’t have the resources to properly develop players of this caliber to the NFL. With the NIL moving the developmental structure of college football to a competitive business market for players (something I agree with BTW) more and more 18 year olds will be thrust into an environment of perform or die. They’re used to a high school environment where they’re the star, they always get their way, and believe they can do anything with unwavering impressionability. Some walk into a buzzsaw without even realizing it.

I enjoyed the FSU meltdowns as much as anyone but I have legit concerns for the specifics of the deal and how players with the potential of Hunter (or another kid in that category) will fair under circumstances like this. I hope it works out for them but I hope from Miami’s perspective (under a new regime of multi-billionaires and first class professionals in football and sports) they are laying out specific plans for young men that will have them thriving financially both now and in the future under a big-time college football program in a big-time market. These young men will decide for themselves, but the better structure usually garners better sustained success.

Also would like to know the language of the deal in regards to a transfer…….that would play a big role as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back