Shaq is enjoying his first tail gate...

Advertisement
Having a good time tailgating... #can'twait
Did he enjoy that defensive performance? Y'all should go to more games, might've been why the defense finally played to their potential.
Yes he really enjoyed the game and hanging out before the game...

It was good game for LB recruits to watch. Our LBs had one of they best nights. DP and Grace were everywhere. Kirby and Owens played big. Thurston continued his great year. Can't wait for your son to join in the fun. For the first time in years we have a real Miami type QB.

Shaq does have the potential to be better than Perryman. Has more size than DP did coming in. As Violent as Denzel is, I think Shaq could be just as violent or even more.

I see some Vontaze Burfict in Shaqs game. Very strong and tough player.

Denzel, Armbrister, Grace and Owens have that potential to get LB U going again. Would love Shaq to be a part of that.

I talked to Shaq for a while. He seemed to really trust the coaches (Hurlie, Dnofrio and Golden) and talked about how he always wanted to go to UM. Seemed like a very hard working, smart kid.

Can he potentially be betterthan Perryman? Why or why not?

What kind of question is that?

It is a great question, for someone who has never seen anything more than a HUDL highlight tape. When Sean Spence left, Denzel stepped up and we, didn't really miss a beat concerning having that over 100+ tackle guy leading the linebacker core... There was high praise about the kid, and Denzel is the man, the best person to gage potential linebacker talent by in my opinion, in terms of who we have. So thank you for those who have actually seen him play, and could rustle up an intelligent answer.

I talked to Shaq for a while. He seemed to really trust the coaches (Hurlie, Dnofrio and Golden) and talked about how he always wanted to go to UM. Seemed like a very hard working, smart kid.

It is a great question, for someone who has never seen anything more than a HUDL highlight tape. When Sean Spence left, Denzel stepped up and we, didn't really miss a beat concerning having that over 100+ tackle guy leading the linebacker core... There was high praise about the kid, and Denzel is the man, the best person to gage potential linebacker talent by in my opinion, in terms of who we have. So thank you for those who have actually seen him play, and could rustle up an intelligent answer.
To even be compared to DP is the highest flattery... DP aggression is something Shaq could learn from and pick up on...DP disposition is mean and salty from start ro finish..Shaq is like that after he is mad. Example last week Shaq was lined up against a D1 Tackle after the first 2 series he was kicking Shaq's as... when i told him on the sideline...you are getting your *** handed to you...it ****ed him off..he was surely more mad with me than that kid..but from that point forward he went off... i was impressed wirh his dominance he ended up with like 18 tackles and about 5 of those were in the backfield or right at the LOS. He has to learn to start that himself.. maturity. In the locker room after the Duke game i notice that Shaq was the same size or bigger than the LB minus the muscular maturity... he will get that with diet and weight training... He is taller than DP and maybe wider...but no where close to being ripped like hercules...meant DP. Hard work could get him there...Shaq is down from 246 in the offseason to playing now at 226...he has to diet hard to keep that weight...he could easily play at 240...next season he will play at 230 235.. after EE i could see him at 240 or 245 for that first spring game...

Advertisement

To even be compared to DP is the highest flattery... DP aggression is something Shaq could learn from and pick up on...DP disposition is mean and salty from start ro finish..Shaq is like that after he is mad. Example last week Shaq was lined up against a D1 Tackle after the first 2 series he was kicking Shaq's as... when i told him on the sideline...you are getting your *** handed to you...it ****ed him off..he was surely more mad with me than that kid..but from that point forward he went off... i was impressed wirh his dominance he ended up with like 18 tackles and about 5 of those were in the backfield or right at the LOS. He has to learn to start that himself.. maturity. In the locker room after the Duke game i notice that Shaq was the same size or bigger than the LB minus the muscular maturity... he will get that with diet and weight training... He is taller than DP and maybe wider...but no where close to being ripped like hercules...meant DP. Hard work could get him there...Shaq is down from 246 in the offseason to playing now at 226...he has to diet hard to keep that weight...he could easily play at 240...next season he will play at 230 235.. after EE i could see him at 240 or 245 for that first spring game...

If Shaq is that size for his first spring game he will be a monster. Line him up next to juniors Young and Owens and we have a solid LB core. That's not accounting for progress made by Terry M and Mike Smith. Shaq, Juwon, and Darrion will absolutely put fear in the mind of every offense we face. Glad to hear Shaq had a great time!

He will begin his career much bigger than DP. I think DP came in at around 205 and played a ton as a true freshmen. One thing DP has is speed (currently 4.6-4.7), he was pretty fast though coming out of high school before putting on 40 lbs of muscle.

Sounds like Shaq will be coming in physiclaly ready much like Juwon Young and Owens this year:
Juwon Young: 4.75 40 (4.69 best), 4.55 20, 23 reps of 225, 440 squat, 332 power clean, 385 bench press, 32.5 vertical
Darrion Owens: 4.79 40 (4.78 best), 4.36 20, 17 reps of 225, 425 squat, 332 power clean, 355 bench press, 29.5 vertical

Shaq's Soph numbers:
Shaq is 6'0 3/4 inches... 233 lbs (down from 248 in the offseason)... His fastest 40 is 4.71 ....working on form but look at his higlights...He has good range ... in one play on his Soph Highlights he beats the OLB (#4) to a sweep on his side. #4 is D.Owens... D.O will smoke him in a 40, but Shaq beat him on that play... Shaq Bench: 320, Clean 315, Squat 525....(These are his Soph Numbers)

It will be fun to see how he develops once he get to UM. Kirby came in running a 4.8 and dropped to a 4.6. Here is how Denzel progressed since he to Miami.

LB Denzel Perryman -- Last summer Perryman did 295 on the bench press and now can do over 400. He came in doing 18 reps of 225 pounds and can now do 30 reps. Perryman can squat 535 and power clean 318 at about 228-230 pounds. “Denzel has really been off the charts. His numbers have been ridiculous. I think you’ll see it on the field.”

Swasey said Denzel Perryman made the biggest gain on the team, going from a 295 bench last summer to 400 now. He's also squatting 525 pounds, power cleaning 318 and weighs 230 pounds.

Swasey said Denzel Perryman "has been having a great off-season."

"He's solid, man," Swasey said. "As a freshman he came in at 209, 210 (pounds), went up to 217, 220, and now he's at 233, 235. He's putting on good mass, good size."

SQUAT POWER CLEAN 225 REPS VERTICAL BENCH 40 TIME
555, 342, 33, 31.5, 435, 4.67

2014:
Perryman tied the all-time record in squat at 600, which was set in 1985. He also tested at 308 in the power clean and 400 in the bench while putting up a 30-inch vertical. Last spring he had a 510 squat, 318 power clean and 425 bench with a 30.5 vertical.

2015:
Next Stop NFL combine!

Last edited:

He will begin his career much bigger than DP. I think DP came in at around 205 and played a ton as a true freshmen. One thing DP has is speed (currently 4.6-4.7), he was pretty fast though coming out of high school before putting on 40 lbs of muscle.

Sounds like Shaq will be coming in physiclaly ready much like Juwon Young and Owens this year:
Juwon Young: 4.75 40 (4.69 best), 4.55 20, 23 reps of 225, 440 squat, 332 power clean, 385 bench press, 32.5 vertical
Darrion Owens: 4.79 40 (4.78 best), 4.36 20, 17 reps of 225, 425 squat, 332 power clean, 355 bench press, 29.5 vertical

It will be fun to see how he develops once he get to UM. Kirby came in running a 4.8 and dropped to a 4.6. Here is how Denzel progressed since he to Miami.

LB Denzel Perryman -- Last summer Perryman did 295 on the bench press and now can do over 400. He came in doing 18 reps of 225 pounds and can now do 30 reps. Perryman can squat 535 and power clean 318 at about 228-230 pounds. “Denzel has really been off the charts. His numbers have been ridiculous. I think you’ll see it on the field.”

Swasey said Denzel Perryman made the biggest gain on the team, going from a 295 bench last summer to 400 now. He's also squatting 525 pounds, power cleaning 318 and weighs 230 pounds.

"He's solid, man," Swasey said. "As a freshman he came in at 209, 210 (pounds), went up to 217, 220, and now he's at 233, 235. He's putting on good mass, good size."

2014:
Perryman tied the all-time record in squat at 600, which was set in 1985. He also tested at 308 in the power clean and 400 in the bench while putting up a 30-inch vertical. Last spring he had a 510 squat, 318 power clean and 425 bench with a 30.5 vertical.

2015:
Next Stop NFL combine!
Shaq stayed with Darrion after the game and he hung out with the guys after the game...Juwon is huge... and Darrion says he is as strong as an ox...I think Shaq will develop well at Miami. Shaq was on the weightlifting team last year and was 5 pounds shy for qualifying as a sophomore. .. he benched 305 and clean and jerked 285 ...he has benched as much as 320 and cleaned as much as 305 during workouts...he ran a 4.81 and 29in vert at the Auburn camp early this summer.. he wieghed in at that camp at 239.5... i think at his current weight he me be a step or two faster... i think he will post better numbers in the weight room this his junior year and he maxed at 520 for squats...can't wait for him to get to the next level...Darrion was one of the strongest on the team last year and we thought he was huge. ..he went to Miami in Jan and came back for our spring game. ..he was huge...had to be 20lbs heavier 3 percent less body fat

2014:

2015:
Next Stop NFL combine!
Shaq stayed with Darrion after the game and he hung out with the guys after the game...Juwon is huge... and Darrion says he is as strong as an ox...I think Shaq will develop well at Miami. Shaq was on the weightlifting team last year and was 5 pounds shy for qualifying as a sophomore. .. he benched 305 and clean and jerked 285 ...he has benched as much as 320 and cleaned as much as 305 during workouts...he ran a 4.81 and 29in vert at the Auburn camp early this summer.. he wieghed in at that camp at 239.5... i think at his current weight he me be a step or two faster... i think he will post better numbers in the weight room this his junior year and he maxed at 520 for squats...can't wait for him to get to the next level...Darrion was one of the strongest on the team last year and we thought he was huge. ..he went to Miami in Jan and came back for our spring game. ..he was huge...had to be 20lbs heavier 3 percent less body fat

Here is a image of how Shaq currently compares to our current LBs.
shaqcomp.jpg

Advertisement

2014:

2015:
Next Stop NFL combine!

shaqcomp.jpg

Very impressive considering he is only a Junior in high school. It will be interesting to see when he will peak. It seems like his HS program has a really great strength and conditioning program as evidenced by Darrion and Shaq. He will come in a lot more physically ready but will not make the gains that guys like Mike Smith and Terry McCray will have. Shaq has tremendous lower body strength but he still has room to grow on top. I would expect him to bench close to 400 by the time he gets to UM. Physically, I think he will be a more compact version of Juwon or a JR/SR version of Denzel. I'm excited to have him here and can't wait until he arrives.

Last edited:
Well one thing that you can tell about Shaq is that when he makes contact that guy goes back. And EVERY TIME you watch Perryman make a tackle it is violent. It doesnt even make sense sometimes how hard he ends up hitting.
It will be interesting to see our LBs progress. If Jermain Grace can get stronger amd get to 230lbs for next yr, he will be an absolute monster at olb seeing as how he runs a true 4.4/low4.5 40. Owens at the other OLB spot, and Shaq in the middle would round out a dam good 3 lb core. Too bad were 34 now.

2014:

2015:
Next Stop NFL combine!

shaqcomp.jpg

Very impressive considering he is only a Junior in high school. It will be interesting to see when he will peak. It seems like his HS program has a really great strength and conditioning program as evidenced by Darrion and Shaq. He will come in a lot more physically ready but will not make the gains that guys like Mike Smith and Terry McCray will have. Shaq has tremendous lower body strength but he still has room to grow on top. I would expect him to bench close to 400 by the time he gets to UM. Physically, I think he will be a more compact version of Juwon or a JR/SR version of Denzel. I'm excited to have him here and can't wait until he arrives.

Grace has Forrest Gump speed.

Advertisement
That Terry McCray power clean must not be correct..

I hope so too man, but I benched more than him out of high school and I was only 120 lbs... him and Mike got DL speed too. Hopefully they will improve in the strength and conditioning program. I know Mike is coming off a serious knee injury, but I can see why Miami took a while to offer them even though a lot of people wanted them pretty bad. Great high school players but they will both need to develop more physically before making an impact at either LB or DE. Harris, Chad and D. Jack all came much more physically ready to paly. I think D. Jack just lacks experience but physically he will be a beast! He got LB speed in a 6'5" body and will get much stronger as he puts on more weight and put in more work in the gym.

Trent Harris: 5.09 40 (4.96 best), 4.60 20, 13 reps of 225, 365 squat, 308 power clean, 315 bench press, 26.5 vertical
Calvin Heurtelou: 5.66 40 (5.57 best), 5.17 20, 33 reps of 225, 264 squat, 26.5 vertical
Demetrius Jackson: 4.85 40 (4.71 best), 4.39 20, 15 reps of 225, 345 squat, 252 power clean, 305 bench press, 30 vertical
Courtel Jenkins: 5.53 40 (5.43 best), 5.18 20, 20 reps of 225, 465 squat, 301 power clean, 385 bench press, 19.5 vertical
Chad Thomas: 4.91 40 (4.82 best), 4.50 20, 11 reps of 225, 355 squat, 300 bench press, 27.5 vertical
Michael Wyche: Did not test in running, did 35 reps of 225, 275 squat, 435 bench press, 22 vertical

Mike Smith is going to be a beast.... i know he he runs at a least 4.7-8 that's boy to fast & quick to be in the 5's...... i hardly know anything about McCray except that he looks like Ty$ lulz....

I hope so too man, but I benched more than him out of high school and I was only 120 lbs... him and Mike got DL speed too. Hopefully they will improve in the strength and conditioning program. I know Mike is coming off a serious knee injury, but I can see why Miami took a while to offer them even though a lot of people wanted them pretty bad. Great high school players but they will both need to develop more physically before making an impact at either LB or DE. Harris, Chad and D. Jack all came much more physically ready to paly. I think D. Jack just lacks experience but physically he will be a beast! He got LB speed in a 6'5" body and will get much stronger as he puts on more weight and put in more work in the gym.

Trent Harris: 5.09 40 (4.96 best), 4.60 20, 13 reps of 225, 365 squat, 308 power clean, 315 bench press, 26.5 vertical
Calvin Heurtelou: 5.66 40 (5.57 best), 5.17 20, 33 reps of 225, 264 squat, 26.5 vertical
Demetrius Jackson: 4.85 40 (4.71 best), 4.39 20, 15 reps of 225, 345 squat, 252 power clean, 305 bench press, 30 vertical
Courtel Jenkins: 5.53 40 (5.43 best), 5.18 20, 20 reps of 225, 465 squat, 301 power clean, 385 bench press, 19.5 vertical
Chad Thomas: 4.91 40 (4.82 best), 4.50 20, 11 reps of 225, 355 squat, 300 bench press, 27.5 vertical
Michael Wyche: Did not test in running, did 35 reps of 225, 275 squat, 435 bench press, 22 vertical

You benched 265+ weighing 120? That's an insane amount of strength. You were one strong motherf*****

Advertisement

You benched 265+ weighing 120? That's an insane amount of strength. You were one strong motherf*****
You are strong...by my definition you are strong when you can bench press 100lbs over your body weight...

I was talking with Shaq about hanging out with the team this past weekend. ..he had a great time...Shaq is jersey number 5 and he tells that he goes over to Jermaine Grace and says 'U know you are gonna have to give up that number when I get here' i asked what was his reply...Shaq tells 'he didn't say anything he just looked at me and laughed. So I ask what are you gonna do...Shaq reply 'Find a new number' i thought that was funny

Advertisement
Back