Shaq is enjoying his first tail gate...

If only we could get more kids like Shaq.... And more parents like his dad. Can't wait to see this kid terrorize defenses for 4 years.

Advertisement
I talked to Shaq for a while. He seemed to really trust the coaches (Hurlie, Dnofrio and Golden) and talked about how he always wanted to go to UM. Seemed like a very hard working, smart kid.

Can he potentially be betterthan Perryman? Why or why not?

What kind of question is that?

It is a great question, for someone who has never seen anything more than a HUDL highlight tape. When Sean Spence left, Denzel stepped up and we, didn't really miss a beat concerning having that over 100+ tackle guy leading the linebacker core... There was high praise about the kid, and Denzel is the man, the best person to gage potential linebacker talent by in my opinion, in terms of who we have. So thank you for those who have actually seen him play, and could rustle up an intelligent answer.
To even be compared to DP is the highest flattery... DP aggression is something Shaq could learn from and pick up on...DP disposition is mean and salty from start ro finish..Shaq is like that after he is mad. Example last week Shaq was lined up against a D1 Tackle after the first 2 series he was kicking Shaq's as... when i told him on the sideline...you are getting your *** handed to you...it ****ed him off..he was surely more mad with me than that kid..but from that point forward he went off... i was impressed wirh his dominance he ended up with like 18 tackles and about 5 of those were in the backfield or right at the LOS. He has to learn to start that himself.. maturity. In the locker room after the Duke game i notice that Shaq was the same size or bigger than the LB minus the muscular maturity... he will get that with diet and weight training... He is taller than DP and maybe wider...but no where close to being ripped like hercules...meant DP. Hard work could get him there...Shaq is down from 246 in the offseason to playing now at 226...he has to diet hard to keep that weight...he could easily play at 240...next season he will play at 230 235.. after EE i could see him at 240 or 245 for that first spring game...

Thank you for pushing your son to keep working. Glad to hear he lost some weight and putting it back on through strength and conditioning.

That Terry McCray power clean must not be correct..

I hope so too man, but I benched more than him out of high school and I was only 120 lbs... him and Mike got DL speed too. Hopefully they will improve in the strength and conditioning program. I know Mike is coming off a serious knee injury, but I can see why Miami took a while to offer them even though a lot of people wanted them pretty bad. Great high school players but they will both need to develop more physically before making an impact at either LB or DE. Harris, Chad and D. Jack all came much more physically ready to paly. I think D. Jack just lacks experience but physically he will be a beast! He got LB speed in a 6'5" body and will get much stronger as he puts on more weight and put in more work in the gym.

Trent Harris: 5.09 40 (4.96 best), 4.60 20, 13 reps of 225, 365 squat, 308 power clean, 315 bench press, 26.5 vertical
Calvin Heurtelou: 5.66 40 (5.57 best), 5.17 20, 33 reps of 225, 264 squat, 26.5 vertical
Demetrius Jackson: 4.85 40 (4.71 best), 4.39 20, 15 reps of 225, 345 squat, 252 power clean, 305 bench press, 30 vertical
Courtel Jenkins: 5.53 40 (5.43 best), 5.18 20, 20 reps of 225, 465 squat, 301 power clean, 385 bench press, 19.5 vertical
Chad Thomas: 4.91 40 (4.82 best), 4.50 20, 11 reps of 225, 355 squat, 300 bench press, 27.5 vertical
Michael Wyche: Did not test in running, did 35 reps of 225, 275 squat, 435 bench press, 22 vertical

You benched 265+ weighing 120? That's an insane amount of strength. You were one strong motherf*****
You are strong...by my definition you are strong when you can bench press 100lbs over your body weight...

Thanks man, I didn't think so back in high school because there were a couple of guys my size stronger than me at my school. We used to compete based on how many times over your body weight you were able to bench. I was always stuck at about 2 1/2 before my body started to fall apart.

I tell most kids now not too kill themselves going too heavy because it's not safe and will hurt their joints in the long run. The human body is not designed to withstand so much weight. Now that we are all in our late 30's, most guys I used to lift with have back and shoulder problems, myself included.

Lifting is a culture and one thing I like about this team is that they are taking their strength numbers seriously. I like how Golden motivates them with the 20/30 club etc. When new players come in, they will see how strong the older players are and what they can become. So much of lifting is mental, believe it or not, seeing what everyone does make you do more and helps you see what you can be. Over time the exceptions becomes the norm and the culture is changed.

Last edited:
Mike Smith is going to be a beast.... i know he he runs at a least 4.7-8 that's boy to fast & quick to be in the 5's...... i hardly know anything about McCray except that he looks like Ty$ lulz....

Yes, he looked fast in his highlight films, I think he may still be working his way back from injury. 5.22 is OL speed, so I don't think anyone would have recruited an undersized DE without speed.

Advertisement
We dont really talk about Mike Pickney. I would like to get some more info on that kid. He already has some good looking measureables from a size and weight standpoint.

Advertisement
We dont really talk about Mike Pickney. I would like to get some more info on that kid. He already has some good looking measureables from a size and weight standpoint.

There is not much info on him right now. If not for UKnowWhat we wouldn't even have that much info on Shaq. Mike is a 3 star 2016 recruit that is not rated yet by most sites. 247sports is the only one to rate him and ranks him at 369, so there is not much info on him now. I think if he blows up next year then we will hear a lot more on these 2016 recruits.

Advertisement
Back