Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Watching some of the games from this guy and I am not impressed. Anytime he played anyone with a pulse he looked bad. Somebody posted the 2021 Cincinnati and Texas Tech games....go watch them and tell me they don't look like every god awful offense we've ever had here.
So basically the games where the teams had a significant talent advantage lol that isn’t happen at Miami

Advertisement
So basically the games where the teams had a significant talent advantage lol that isn’t happen at Miami

What does that matter? The offense looked like garbage and bad coordinators often look like garbage against better teams. The reason good coordinators get promoted or pay increases is because they look good against teams that have more talent. If you're a coordinator and you only look good when your players are better than the other team what are you actually bringing to the table?

Unless the goal is to win 9 or 10 games a year, we're not going to have better players than Bama. So when he [does a do-do on] the bed against Bama we can all excuse it by saying, "they had a significant talent advantage lol".

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
What does that matter? The offense looked like garbage and bad coordinators often look like garbage against better teams. The reason good coordinators get promoted or pay increases is because they look good against teams that have more talent. If you're a coordinator and you only look good when your players are better than the other team what are you actually bringing to the table?

Unless the goal is to win 9 or 10 games a year, we're not going to have better players than Bama. They'll likely always have a talent advantage. So when he sh**s the bed against Bama we can all go, "they had a significant talent advantage lol".
How did his offenses with talent look at WVU?

Looks like a poor mans Kyle Chandler from Friday Night Lights.

1676570630592.jpeg

Watching some of the games from this guy and I am not impressed. Anytime he played anyone with a pulse he looked bad. Somebody posted the 2021 Cincinnati and Texas Tech games....go watch them and tell me they don't look like every god awful offense we've ever had here.

You're cherry picking. First of all Cincy made the CFP that year and was the #3 team in America, and finished 13-1. Lowly Houston scored 20 against the #3 team in America. FYI the 20 points Dawson and Houston scored against them was the 5th most amount of points scored against Cincy all year. The better performances were 21, 24, 27, and 28 points. No one scored more than 28 on them, all year. The 27 was Alabama in the CFP, btw. So Dawson did 7 points worse than 5-star laden Alabama did.

Texas Tech was the first game of the season. ****, his first non-covid game of his tenure. Houston only scored 21. Fair criticism, but if you are going to discuss his offensive performance in 2021, don't cherry-pick with the two worst results, including a CFP team, over 14 games in a season where they were #15 in America in scoring.

They scored 36 points per game that year, with both of those results included, and they put up 44 against #19 ranked SMU, the second best team on their schedule after the aforementioned #3 Cincy.

Btw, they went 12-2 that year, with a defense than gave up 35+ a third of the time.

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 2.02.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don’t think it’s the athletes across the board that ND can’t match.

It’s the monsters across the trenches.

Michigan in ‘21 had a top graded out OL.
It had a DL with some studs on it.

And UGA in the trenches just handled it with no problem.

You have to be able to just match beast for beast with the top tier teams. And that means recruiting rankings.

And the problem ND has is those guys aren’t really located in the Midwest. And those guys tend to not have the greatest grades.
I actually think OL is the one thing ND DOESNT haved an issue with. They have been an Oline factory.

his first non-covid game of his tenure

Any other excuses? His first Thursday night game on the 1st week of October maybe?

You're cherry picking

I picked the best team he played in conference and the best OOC game he played. That's not cherry picking. That's pretty standard. We're trying to win national championships, not get to 9 wins.

Yeah he roasted UK in the first game each team played after he was fired, iirc. Legend.

Tweet is referring to that game. I think it was the 1st game of the year dropped almost 600 yards. UK fans in that tweet go on to criticize Stoops with his coordinators and questioning if they fired the wrong guy. I take everything that happened at UK with a grain of salt.

Advertisement
Any other excuses? His first Thursday night game on the 1st week of October maybe?

I picked the best team he played in conference and the best OOC game he played. That's not cherry picking. That's pretty standard. We're trying to win national championships, not get to 9 wins.

I didn't make excuses, I laid out facts, that were all inclusive. I even said the Texas Tech game performance was "fair criticism." You're even cherry picking my response, lol. You left most of my post out, of course. You picked the two worst performances, period, including one against a 13-1 CFP team. You even skipped over the the fact that his offense went ham against the 2nd best team on their schedule, the #19 ranked team in America, because, you know, cherry picking to suit your agenda.

36 points per game. Say that in the mirror.

Hard to take you seriously, amigo.

Advertisement

Unless the goal is to win 9 or 10 games a year, we're not going to have better players than Bama. So when he sh**s the bed against Bama we can all excuse it by saying, "they had a significant talent advantage lol".
Ehhhh ok

I didn't make excuses, I laid out facts, that were all inclusive. I even said the Texas Tech game performance was "fair criticism." You're even cherry picking my response, lol. You left most of my post out, of course. You picked the two worst performances, period, including one against a 13-1 CFP team. You even skipped over the the fact that his offense went ham against the 2nd best team on their schedule, the #19 ranked team in America, because, you know, cherry picking to suit your agenda.

36 points per game. Say that in the mirror.

Hard to take you seriously, amigo.
we win one maybe 2 more games last year...now combine 36ppg and the defense actually showing up...because they got cooked all last year.

I personally think Brian Kelly went to LSU, because he thinks he has a better chance at winning a NC at LSU than at Notre Dame.

I think when he played Alabama and Clemson in the playoffs he realized that as well as he recruited to Notre Dame he can't match the athletes of those elite teams. With LSU fertile recruiting base, and Texas, Georgia, Florida fairly close he thinks he can assemble a team that can close to match those elite squads.

This is exactly why he went to LSU.

Look at the man's face when he beat Alabama in his first year at LSU. Man absolutely knew he could beat that MF'r Saban if things were close to equal.

Advertisement
Back