Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Oh yea absolutely. It‘s not like he can’t walk into any living room and explain how every 49ers WR that took significant snap had a career year under him or anything.

Nope. Not at all.
Deebo Samuel played 13 games in 2022 and 16 in 2021. His yards per catch was down almost 7 full yards and he was down almost 800 yds receiving in 2022 compared to 2021. So sure he can say it but it would be a lie.

And thats not even to blame Hankerson. QB injuries and Deebo's own injuries played a part. But you're here making **** up he wouldn't even say.

Anybody in that WR's room stats that went up might have plenty to do with Deebo being limited in games or just flat out unavailable as opposed to the presence of Hankerson.

Advertisement
LOL. I sure hope we are "downright bad" to the tune of 35.9 points per game next year. 🤦‍♂️

Repeat, you just called a 35.9 points per game offense that was #15 in the country in scoring "downright bad."

If you were the last man on earth stuck on an island with Jessica Alba and Arianna Grande you'd talk yourself out of the three way.

I'm worried about you.

I didn’t call it that. Every analytic model did. I’m just stating what they say.

Advertisement
Advertisement
With all the mopes in here it's hard to tell who is joking, some people actually believe that Mario will be hiring a new OC one year from now
If that were to happen, it would be because we went straight to the top and Dawson became the hot name for an NFL or HC job. That would be a good problem to have.

That's exactly why Brian Kelly left for LSU. You may not like him (I do not) but he was fighting against the "This is Notre Dame" mantra while he was trying to change some things until he found a way out.
I don't care whether he is likeable. he wins. I would take a coach that wins over a coach I like any day.

A friend and fellow Cane fan did some analysis of Dawson over the last 2 years compared to the rest of college football by looking at scoring, run and pass efficiency, turnovers, YPP, etc... He said he didn't go beyond 2 years because of all of the staff shakeup and covid year really makes it more inconsistent and a lot more work to do it on a coordinator basis... Anyway.. over the last 2 years Houston's offense was:
11th in scoring - Right with Utah, UTSA, and SMU
62nd best rushing (Miami is 117th in the same time frame) - Houston was in the 40s in 2022 and averaged over 4 YPC in both years. Miami was 3.3 in both years.
16th best passing - adjusts down to 14th when you remove 2 service academies who appear to be very good passing teams due to large Yards per attempt numbers
20th in 3rd down
37th in turnovers

His overall assessment has them as the 15th best offense over the last 2 years combined. Right behind/nearly equal to UNC over the same period.

To give an idea of what it could be.. lets just say everything remains consistent at Miami but we are able to improve the yards per carry to 5.0 (top 20 - at a Tennessee, TCU, Arkansas, Ole Miss level) the offense would have ranked 12th in the country over the 2 year period

Playoff teams over the 2 years are ranked:
1 (OSU), 2 (Georgia), 3 (Alabama), 4 (Michigan), 22 (TCU), and 46 (Cincinnati)

For comparison... Tennessee wraps up the top 5. FSU is 27th. SMU is 21 (covering Dykes/Riley and Lashlee). Utah is 8, UCLA is 10. Texas is 18. Good company.
Just spent 20 minutes looking for this post and then trying to search for it using phrases like "3rd down" lmfao.

Saving this for future use so I can easily find it again.

Key Word Shannon Dawson

I personally think Brian Kelly went to LSU, because he thinks he has a better chance at winning a NC at LSU than at Notre Dame.

I think when he played Alabama and Clemson in the playoffs he realized that as well as he recruited to Notre Dame he can't match the athletes of those elite teams. With LSU fertile recruiting base, and Texas, Georgia, Florida fairly close he thinks he can assemble a team that can close to match those elite squads.

Advertisement
With all the mopes in here it's hard to tell who is joking, some people actually believe that Mario will be hiring a new OC one year from now
giphy-13.gif

I personally think Brian Kelly went to LSU, because he thinks he has a better chance at winning a NC at LSU than at Notre Dame.

I think when he played Alabama and Clemson in the playoffs he realized that as well as he recruited to Notre Dame he can't match the athletes of those elite teams. With LSU fertile recruiting base, and Texas, Georgia, Florida fairly close he thinks he can assemble a team that can close to match those elite squads.

I don’t think it’s the athletes across the board that ND can’t match.

It’s the monsters across the trenches.

Michigan in ‘21 had a top graded out OL.
It had a DL with some studs on it.

And UGA in the trenches just handled it with no problem.

You have to be able to just match beast for beast with the top tier teams. And that means recruiting rankings.

And the problem ND has is those guys aren’t really located in the Midwest. And those guys tend to not have the greatest grades.

Advertisement
What’s interesting is candle was supposedly the #1 target 2 years in a row, a guy who runs the ball 56% of the time. But the hire ends up being someone on the opposite end of the spectrum philosophically, who passes the ball 57% of the time. not sure what that means, but hopefully dawson is allowed to run his offense.

Advertisement
Back