Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Advertisement
Advertisement
People who think good coaches only come from certain programs have no clue that great coaches are developed in many places. Smdh. I should have responded directly to his comment, sorry.
You're good. But he's being sarcastic. While also tying in aside joke.
I get what you're saying.
👍🏿

Advertisement
Dawson >>>>>

Major Applesauce
James Broley
Tommy Reese’s Cup
Doug Nussmeier
Brian Lindgren
Liam Coen
Josh Gattless

Good hire 👍🏽
Fo9VEaGWIAkFRGE.jpeg.jpg

Some people like the safe thing . There is no reason for them to fire Candle, he’s not on the hot seat and from all accounts his family seems comfortable and content there. He’s probably figuring why risk it?
He’s also been at Toledo for 14 years & has played & Coached in Ohio for his entire life.

Unless he gets a HC job he’d be doing himself a disservice to take a demotion to be an OC.

He was among the candidates interviewed for the Purdue & Cincinnati jobs when they opened up in December, but both programs already had their guy in mind, so he missed his shot in those instances.

He’ll probably be in line to follow after his former teammate & Coach Matt Campbell if gets fired or decides to leave Iowa ST, he’d also be perfect to replace Tom Allen at Indiana.

Advertisement
Honestly I am a bit reluctant to post booty gifs, tbh. Houston ran this air raid stuff in the early 90s, posted ridiculous numbers with David Klingler; and our guys absolutely snuffed it out.

Yes we had way better players. Yes Andre Ware and Klingler turned out to be busts.

I was told that the Rhett Lashley spread offense would make it easier for our offensive line to do their thing; not so much.

Wide recievers who could not get open and catch the ball then wont with a new offense now. Tell me how the air raid is going to magically give our WR's stick em hands.

If I turn out to be wrong, I'll be a man and apologize and take the hits.

But to me, this is an underwhelming hire that might be good, but will likely be mediocre at best. Dennis Erickson ran the one back, spread our guys out and put up points. So it can work.

You still need good players though. :/

the system **** near recruits itself. If it works out Mario won’t be able to back to bro style. Long term wise it’s the best decision for the program.

Honestly I am a bit reluctant to post booty gifs, tbh. Houston ran this air raid stuff in the early 90s, posted ridiculous numbers with David Klingler; and our guys absolutely snuffed it out.

Yes we had way better players. Yes Andre Ware and Klingler turned out to be busts.

I was told that the Rhett Lashley spread offense would make it easier for our offensive line to do their thing; not so much.

Wide recievers who could not get open and catch the ball then wont with a new offense now. Tell me how the air raid is going to magically give our WR's stick em hands.

If I turn out to be wrong, I'll be a man and apologize and take the hits.

But to me, this is an underwhelming hire that might be good, but will likely be mediocre at best. Dennis Erickson ran the one back, spread our guys out and put up points. So it can work.

You still need good players though. :/

Using a game/team from 32 years ago to assess an OC hire....we've reached another level....

Advertisement
Using a game/team from 32 years ago to assess an OC hire....we've reached another level....
College football was raving about the air raid during this time period. And it got stopped by a 4-3 defense invented by Tom Landry in the 1960's. It very much is a relevant point of discussion. So stop pretending its not.

SMU really made the option offense look good...ignoring the fact that Eric ****erson was the running back.

I didn't say it couldn't work. I am merely skeptical that somehow, changing an offense will magically get the recievers we have to play better.

Disagreement and skepticism are not bad things to have. Some guys on here seem to think just by disagreeing you are insulting their personal code of honor.

Shannon will likely be at least marginally better than our last guy. But we are not going anywhere without the right recruits, sorry.

You can literally say this about anyone we would’ve hired.
And thats precisely my point. The idea of waving a magic wand and all of a sudden guys who cant catch the ball even if it hits them in the chest because of an offense change is a bit silly. I think a lot of folks on here are going to be disappointed with the results vs the expectations.

Advertisement
Back