Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
“James Broley”

the strokes finger guns GIF
Just saw this

Lets Go GIF by Regal

Advertisement
Shannon Dawson was OC at Houston from 2020-2022. Three seasons.

In 2020, the covid year, with reduced practice, which was of course his first year, Houston scored 30 points per game in an abbreviated 8-game season.

In 2021, Houston scored 36 points per game (35.9)

In 2022, Houston scored 36 points per game again (36.1)

Even if you include the covid games during his first season, Houston averaged 35 points per game during his tenure there (34.63).

Which leads one to ask, what in the name of salted crackers are you babbling on about?

2020:

S&P+: 60th
F+: 62nd
FEI: 63rd

2021:

S&P+: 51st
F+: 58th

2022:

S&P+: 18th
F+: 23rd
FEI: 26th

Their offense just wasn’t good until 2022. It was downright bad the previous two years.

Based on defensive performance in ‘21 and the lack of quality defenses they played during that time, basically almost any team with a pulse would have averaged what they did in ‘20 and ‘21, according to all the analytic models.

2020:

S&P+: 60th
F+: 62nd

2021:

S&P+: 51st
F+: 58th

2022:

S&P+: 18th
F+: 23rd
FEI: 26th

Their offense just wasn’t good until 2022. It was downright bad the previous two years.
Thats shows improvement though... and we wish we would have had the 60th best offense last year

Thats shows improvement though... and we wish we would have had the 60th best offense last year

Sure.

But the improvement, as I indicated, goes hand and hand with the experience.

Basically, most every team goes through a “boom and then bust.”

You have a young team. You go through some learning bumps. And as the team becomes a veteran team, you make your run over a 1 or two year window. Then those players graduate and the cycle happens all over again.

Ideally the floor becomes elevated during the bust years though. Suffering through two years of an offense in the 50s and 60s, is worth one year of it in the 20s.

Like Briles’ first year offense was ranked 22nd at Arkansas in ‘21. It ranked 18th this past year.
That was without his players and playing with a talent disadvantage in the SEC.
These are the “down” years under Briles.

The down years can’t continue being so “down” under Dawson.

Advertisement
So you believe small school guys hit at a higher rate than bigger school coaches?

Lmfao. Wanna bet?
More big school guys started at small schools than at big schools. You get them when they are hungry, not when they are old, fat, and lazy.

Neither of the guys we hired are young. Both are fat though.
Ha. They are successful, and moving up. I have no problem with that. Guys at smaller schools, who have shown a lot of success at those small schools, relish the opportunity to move up and prove themselves. They are hungry to prove themselves, not rest on their butts with a Broyles to showcase how great someone thought they once were.

Advertisement
That hire perplexes me. We have a few here *****ing/trolling about Dawson...but we'd all be livid if Mario hired Bobo.
I know that the massive talent advantage really helps them but has anyone else noticed that Bama and Georgia made a bunch “meh” coordinator hires this off season? I’d be ****ed if Miami hired Tommy Reese, Mike Bobo or Kevin Steele in 2023. I mean, I’m sure they’ll still have reasonable success but man, that’s a lackluster group. I can kind of see the Bobo hire because he was already there and Kirby wants to keep continuity from his back to back title teams but is Nick Saban even trying anymore? Reese has been very average at Notre Dame and Steele’s best days are long past. That’s who the premier program in college football hires to run their offense and defense?

Again, it would seem that the only person on this website that didn't understand the joke was you. But hey you're right, I should work on knowing the full audience instead of catering to only the rocket scientists and professors of CanesInsight.

Did you get this one?
Bye bye! Ps Go Canes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back