Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Advertisement
No one said hire a less accomplished coach. There a number of college WR coaches who recruit and develop to go after who are more accomplished than Hankerson. Leonard Hankerson has been a full-time WR coach at the NFL level for 1 year. 4 years overall. Top 10 in the world is a giant stretch and more UM exceptionalism talking. We aren't talking about 2000s era Curtis Johnson.

Chip Kelly and Lincoln's Riley main jobs on the power 5 level weren't to outrecruit guys. Implementing offenses and scoring points was their jobs. If Hankerson is also an offensive mastermind then maybe he should've been hired for the OC job instead of Dawson. Funny you mention Chip. A guy known to dislike big time recruiting. Went to the NFL. Then came back when he failed and still would rather recruit system guys then get locked into all out recruiting wars.

The 2022 staff didn't have enough recruiters so at a position specifically designated for a recruiter lets hire a guy in part based on sentimentality. I didn't make an assumption that he can't do it. We don't know if he can. Go get a guy who has already done it. Limit the risk.
Why do you think WR is a position specifically for recruiters? I don’t think that is the case at all. Rb and TE I think are primarily recruiting coaches. WR you need to do both but I’d never say it’s primarily a recruiting role.

710yds of Offense (528 passing & 182 rushing)

I paid special attention to that Auburn game. Wanted to see how Dawson's offense looked against a physical SEC defense. Overall the plays were there. The OL was pushed around and the deep ball was held in check most of the game. Some really creative and gutsy playcalling, especially in the screen and crossing routes.

I

I will buddy. Work harder on your post quality. I think you can do it.
Again, it would seem that the only person on this website that didn't understand the joke was you. But hey you're right, I should work on knowing the full audience instead of catering to only the rocket scientists and professors of CanesInsight.

Did you get this one?

Advertisement
Seems to use a lot of digs and over routes
paul feig look GIF

Advertisement
I paid special attention to that Auburn game. Wanted to see how Dawson's offense looked against a physical SEC defense. Overall the plays were there. The OL was pushed around and the deep ball was held in check most of the game. Some really creative and gutsy playcalling, especially in the screen and crossing routes.
Especially considering the talent disparity.

Advertisement
Dang, I was hoping for power coast veer spread pro raid myself

X and Skinner should eat in this offense, right? Or am I crazy

Advertisement
Houston also had an offensive exodus that 2019 season.

King redshirted after like 3 games. Their stud WR did the same. Jarrid Williams got hurt and was done for the season and came here.

So Houston went realllll young in 2019. Which is one reason why they had their best offense last year. That was the payoff for the Year 0 in 2019.

And somewhat of a concern if we’re being honest. You can’t have that many years of bad offense, and only get a payoff once the team is as experienced as last year’s. The offensive system needs to create a higher floor year to year.

Shannon Dawson was OC at Houston from 2020-2022. Three seasons.

In 2020, the covid year, with reduced practice, which was of course his first year, Houston scored 30 points per game in an abbreviated 8-game season.

In 2021, Houston scored 36 points per game (35.9)

In 2022, Houston scored 36 points per game again (36.1)

Even if you include the covid games during his first season, Houston averaged 35 points per game during his tenure there (34.63).

Which leads one to ask, what in the name of salted crackers are you babbling on about?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back