Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Tbh nobody blew my skirt up that was a legit possibility. But after hearing Major Applewhites name I was begging for Dawson lol. I actually posted a screen shot yesterday of a conversation i had with D money last Friday, where I told him Dawson is likely and he blew Mario away. In that same screen shot you see when the Major stuff pops up and I’m like “ please hire Dawson“ lol.
@Cribby any insight you can share as to why Mario interviewed this particular pool of candidates? Was he having trouble getting interest from bigger names/more established OCs?

Advertisement
giphy-6.gif

A lot are fine with him leaving
What exsctly does some comments from rando Houston fans tell you?
Same guy, some rando on Twitter, posted this a few days ago.

Some trolls on this site aren’t very good at what they do. Sad people living in rent controlled walk ups just like to spread their misery.

Miserable ***** living miserable lives.

LOL. Rent controlled walk up is very generous. More like Bubs in The Wire who sometimes gets to live in his sister's basement, but isn't allowed upstairs.

The only negative comments that I have found regarding Dawson were comments posted by the Rivals Kentucky Moderator (Justin Rowland) after the 2015 season and it all had to do with Dawson's "hands off ... just coach football" relationship with his QB's and offensive players. "I'm not going into details but Shannon Dawson was totally unplugged from his players & families in an unacceptable way last year". Kentucky was #79 in total offense the year before Dawson arrived. Ranked #89 for Dawson's one season, and improved to #61 the year after Dawson left.

Certainly his 2022 season at Houston was stellar by comparison, so it is really hard to put too much emphasis on what was going on at Kentucky in Stoops 3rd year, and his record in the SEC at a time when KY was basically comparable to FAU 10 years ago.

Advertisement
Do yourselves a favor and check out Houston’s offensive numbers before Dawson was named OC. When Dana got the job in 2019, their numbers fell off a cliff compared to the 2018 Applewhite/Briles offense. The 2020 offense was better but still nothing special. Their best two seasons under Dana were the two seasons Dawson called plays. I’m not sure what the three Houston fans in existence were expecting but considering their offense got way better the last two years than it was the two years prior, you’d think they’d acknowledge the reason. The whole “Dana took over play-calling” rumor is just a fabrication because their offense got better in the second half of the year. What they fail to mention is the second half schedule also got way easier. They played their three toughest opponents (Texas Tech, Kansas and Tulane) in the first five weeks. Even then, the only time they failed to put up 30 points was against Tulane when they only scored 24.
Agreed, the Houston fan base is a lot like Miamis on Social media. The whiners and negative nellies are the ones who post the most and complain. My kids went to UH and we have a very active fanbase. With the size of UH compared to Miami, there are quite a few more fans than 3! LOL.

Pretty funny to think that a former UM D1 and NFL WR who has gotten to the highest level, probably top 10 in the world at his position, coaching for the f'ing San Francisco 49ers under an offensive genius, with a work ethic to get there, experience playing and coaching and recruiting in college, absolutely won't be able to talk to kids. That we should hire a much less accomplished coach instead. Talk about making ASSUMPTIONS.

Recruiting is about worth ethic and personality. You have to like it. If he wants to leave the NFL to come recruit, that's a massive indicator. And again, he has recruited in CFB before, so there are people out there who know what kind of recruiter he is.

Chip Kelly went from New Hampshire to Oregon. Lincoln Riley went from ECU to Oklahoma. Need 100 more? This guy has those lower level chops AND a successful NFL tenure that is going WELL.

Why do you hate Christmas so much?
No one said hire a less accomplished coach. There a number of college WR coaches who recruit and develop to go after who are more accomplished than Hankerson. Leonard Hankerson has been a full-time WR coach at the NFL level for 1 year. 4 years overall. Top 10 in the world is a giant stretch and more UM exceptionalism talking. We aren't talking about 2000s era Curtis Johnson.

Chip Kelly and Lincoln's Riley main jobs on the power 5 level weren't to outrecruit guys. Implementing offenses and scoring points was their jobs. If Hankerson is also an offensive mastermind then maybe he should've been hired for the OC job instead of Dawson. Funny you mention Chip. A guy known to dislike big time recruiting. Went to the NFL. Then came back when he failed and still would rather recruit system guys then get locked into all out recruiting wars.

The 2022 staff didn't have enough recruiters so at a position specifically designated for a recruiter lets hire a guy in part based on sentimentality. I didn't make an assumption that he can't do it. We don't know if he can. Go get a guy who has already done it. Limit the risk.

A lot are fine with him leaving
Most are not. My sons are UH grads and Dawson was a very good OC and folks liked him. The UH fans who post alot are similar to our fans. the negative nellies post the most. The noise at UH is about Dana losing control of the team somewhat. The noise about Gattis dwarfed the minor noise about Dawson at UH.

Advertisement
Most are not. My sons are UH grads and Dawson was a very good OC and folks liked him. The UH fans who post alot are similar to our fans. the negative nellies post the most. The noise at UH is about Dana losing control of the team somewhat. The noise about Gattis dwarfed the minor noise about Dawson at UH.

It’s been touched on, but there’s few tangible metrics for UH to dog Clawson on as to why they’re happy he’s leaving

Advertisement
No one said hire a less accomplished coach. There a number of college WR coaches who recruit and develop to go after who are more accomplished than Hankerson. Leonard Hankerson has been a full-time WR coach at the NFL level for 1 year. 4 years overall. Top 10 in the world is a giant stretch and more UM exceptionalism talking. We aren't talking about 2000s era Curtis Johnson.

Chip Kelly and Lincoln's Riley main jobs on the power 5 level weren't to outrecruit guys. Implementing offenses and scoring points was their jobs. If Hankerson is also an offensive mastermind then maybe he should've been hired for the OC job instead of Dawson. Funny you mention Chip. A guy known to dislike big time recruiting. Went to the NFL. Then came back when he failed and still would rather recruit system guys then get locked into all out recruiting wars.

The 2022 staff didn't have enough recruiters so at a position specifically designated for a recruiter lets hire a guy in part based on sentimentality. I didn't make an assumption that he can't do it. We don't know if he can. Go get a guy who has already done it. Limit the risk.

If you believe in market principles, he's one of the 10 best in the world because he EASILY has one of the best 10 jobs in the world, and if you don't believe in market principles, his value was determined by arguably one of the top 3 offensive minds/experts in the world (Shanahan).

Regardless of the semantics, you get the point. He's basically overqualified, but still hungry. You need to get out of your own way on this. This is the new "Dorsey has never called plays, pass" and you're one of the peeps leading this charge again.

Last edited:
Agreed, the Houston fan base is a lot like Miamis on Social media. The whiners and negative nellies are the ones who post the most and complain. My kids went to UH and we have a very active fanbase. With the size of UH compared to Miami, there are quite a few more fans than 3! LOL.
I was only joking about the fan numbers. Everyone else gets to make fun of us for not having fans, so I wanted a chance

Advertisement
If you believe in market principles, he's one of the 10 best in the world because he EASILY has one of the best 10 jobs in the world, and if you don't believe in market principles, his value was determined by arguably one of the top 3 offensive minds/experts in the world (Shanahan).

Regardless of the semantics, you get the point. He's basically overqualified, but still hungry. You need to get out of your own way on this. This is the new "Dorsey has never called plays, pass" and you're one of the peeps leading this charge this time.
Maybe it was as simple as this. Hankerson is competent and a hard worker and he was next in line after Wes Welker took a job with the Dolphins. Kinda like Dorsey in Buffalo. And you just wrote something that you thought sounded good. What Shanahan values in an NFL WR coach isn't what Hankerson's job would be at Miami so even if you were right, he isn't a top 10 WR recruiter which is what is relevant.

ya, b. Anyone not into Hankerson is weird and might be goofy.

We touted Rob Likens here for years for the work he did with Brandon Aiyuk to become a R1 WR...under Hankerson, Aiyuk established himself as one of the better WRs in football and is in line for a MASSIVE pay day...and its not like the 49ers are trotting Pat Mahomes out there to play QB every week. That WR group is full of DAWGS. Even Jennings had a decent year last year for a deep roster guy at WR for SF in '22.

Hank would be a dope get.

Would bet the anti-Dorsey and anti-Hank types are a complete circle Venn diagram.
Never thought I’d see Venn diagram on here, twice

It might have been @JayCane20 who labeled this as a B- hire. I agree with that.

Dawson is good safe Air Raid coach for Mario (that's not a bad thing in this case). I think if Mario would have gone fully to the dark side, I feel like it would have been more growing pains for him and the staff. This is a good "entry level" into the Raid. He's going to run sound concepts that are tried and true, with variations in the run game. After last year, I think it's what we need. Do something to get this kids playing with confidence. And the practice routine of AR will allow them to get comfortable quickly and play faster with less thinking.

Also he is veteran coach who has worked in different leagues under different styles of HC, who can adapt.
I believe Jaycane said worst case scenario it was a b hire.

Maybe it was as simple as this. Hankerson is competent and a hard worker and he was next in line after Wes Welker took a job with the Dolphins. Kinda like Dorsey in Buffalo. And you just wrote something that you thought sounded good. What Shanahan values in an NFL WR coach isn't what Hankerson's job would be at Miami so even if you were right, he isn't a top 10 WR recruiter which is what is relevant.

Ha. You're making a TON of assumptions and twisting reality to suit your ill-conceived argument. So that's how it works, every single coaching vacancy in the NFL is from within? Wrong. No top NFL coach is going to promote someone in this highly competitive salary-capped industry where you look for every edge unless they think they are the best man for the job. Especially a highly intelligent and uber-competitive guy like Shanahan. That is a RIDICULOUS and discrediting statement by you. You're trying to bend reality and supposition to help defend this indefensible take, when the FACT is the man is a successful NFL WR hand-picked by one of the best offensive minds in football. That's FACT.

And furthermore, you have ZERO IDEA how good a recruiter Hankerson is. You've never met him. You've never interviewed him. You have no idea what kind of personality he has, you have no idea what kind of recruiter he was considered when he was in CFB. It's up to Mario to figure that out by putting in the work. Mario, one of the best recruiters on Earth, who values recruiting above all else and is literally in the throws of remaking the staff to level up the recruiting. I think we can both agree that HS kids would certainly, at the least have an initial interest in being coached by a guy who coached Aiyuk and Samuel among others in the NFL playoffs last month, under Shanahan, and only hypothetically left the position for the love of the U and his family.

Just stop, buddy. Or keep going. By yourself. I'm out! No more ROI here. :)

Advertisement
Back