Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Stop man!

I am listening.

I am behind in catching up on the thread and some of my post are made before I seen some of his.

However, even taking SPC at his word for everything, all I said was that I (me, myself, Yo) is being cautiously optimistic.

Been burned too many times by guys we thought were it only to have it blown up.

I am not ****ting on the hire. I am just choosing to wait and see the result for myself and hoping it’s a home run hire.

How soon we forget the optimism many had, you included, with Ponce and Gatass.

Based off that, I will wait and see.

Again, I agree with wait and see. I AM wait and see too. I am not crowning anything. I just see not only a potential path to victory here, but even a potential home run. Doesn't mean it will happen, could flop. I don't get ripping it now though.

I love the Mario hire because even if it doesn't work out he's going to leave the next guy a great roster. And roster is a three year problem. You can hire and fire in a day. I really like the Dawson hire because if he doesn't work out, he's going to leave behind a team that is familiar with modern football, and will have helped drag UM into the 21st century offensively. What we can't afford is the regression we just had with Gattis. Dawson's offense is much simpler. Kids will play fast. We might break some things, but we are moving forward, that I feel good about.

Advertisement
Because I honestly didn’t know much about the guy I’ve been doing some message board “research” and it really is just seeming like they’re butthurt.
There are so many moving parts to a play. It's easy to lose your mind when runs on 1st and 2nd down get blown up but maybe the look on D was perfect for the call & players just missed assignments/blocks, etc.

I don't see it as butthurt. JMO. Just typical misplaced frustration. I can't imagine complaining about Mark Whipple chunking it deep with No-D running a 3 man front on 4th and inches.

Tbh nobody blew my skirt up that was a legit possibility. But after hearing Major Applewhites name I was begging for Dawson lol. I actually posted a screen shot yesterday of a conversation i had with D money last Friday, where I told him Dawson is likely and he blew Mario away. In that same screen shot you see when the Major stuff pops up and I’m like “ please hire Dawson“ lol.

lol okay ya that makes sense. Dawson is definitely not a **** name but judging by the guys you listed in previous posts we weren't exactly in the running for those types. I hated the Candle smoke. Applewhite would have been impossible to spin into a positive.

Overall this seems to have ended in the bast case scenario. Appreciate all of your updates throughout the process and I hope you enjoy a little break.... until spring ball baby you've got a couple week before we'll need the Crib Talk!

I’m not a big X’s and O’s guy but if Dawson can bring the same explosiveness/guys schemed wide open that we saw under Lashlee with a more consistent run game on a down to down basis we could be cooking. Particularly in short yardage where the offense always seemed to sputter out under Rhett

Advertisement
L O L people keep posting the same 3 negative comments from the same three Houston fans. Come on people.
I read through that post on their message board and 95% of the posts are about who they want to replace him. Besides the OP, nobody else was really being negative towards Dawson.

When I look at Houston's scoring stats on 3rd down, red zone, points per game, I'm pretty pleased. Why exactly are the Houston fans trashing him? Is it simple butthurt or do they think the 105th ranked defense did just fine?
Of all the things that have been odd about the reaction to his hiring this piece to me is what I scratch my head at the most. Their defense was atrocious lol they scored 63 AND LOST BY 2 TDs!

He was at 32PPG the first half of the season. The defense, led by Doug Belk who everyone across the country coveted a year ago, is what caused UH to lose 5 games - not the offense.

Tbh nobody blew my skirt up that was a legit possibility. But after hearing Major Applewhites name I was begging for Dawson lol. I actually posted a screen shot yesterday of a conversation i had with D money last Friday, where I told him Dawson is likely and he blew Mario away. In that same screen shot you see when the Major stuff pops up and I’m like “ please hire Dawson“ lol.

Who would you have kicked the tires on?

Advertisement
It might have been @JayCane20 who labeled this as a B- hire. I agree with that.

Dawson is good safe Air Raid coach for Mario (that's not a bad thing in this case). I think if Mario would have gone fully to the dark side, I feel like it would have been more growing pains for him and the staff. This is a good "entry level" into the Raid. He's going to run sound concepts that are tried and true, with variations in the run game. After last year, I think it's what we need. Do something to get this kids playing with confidence. And the practice routine of AR will allow them to get comfortable quickly and play faster with less thinking.

Also he is veteran coach who has worked in different leagues under different styles of HC, who can adapt.

The only negative comments that I have found regarding Dawson were comments posted by the Rivals Kentucky Moderator (Justin Rowland) after the 2015 season and it all had to do with Dawson's "hands off ... just coach football" relationship with his QB's and offensive players. "I'm not going into details but Shannon Dawson was totally unplugged from his players & families in an unacceptable way last year". Kentucky was #79 in total offense the year before Dawson arrived. Ranked #89 for Dawson's one season, and improved to #61 the year after Dawson left.

Certainly his 2022 season at Houston was stellar by comparison, so it is really hard to put too much emphasis on what was going on at Kentucky in Stoops 3rd year, and his record in the SEC at a time when KY was basically comparable to FAU 10 years ago.

They’re butthurt. They’re fanboys who half watch the games while sipping a white claw and scrolling tik tok. When your girlfriend dumps you, you didn’t want her anyway.
dead fuck my life GIF

Dawson is good safe Air Raid coach for Mario (that's not a bad thing in this case). I think if Mario would have gone fully to the dark side, I feel like it would have been more growing pains for him and the staff. This is a good "entry level" into the Raid. He's going to run sound concepts that are tried and true, with variations in the run game. After last year, I think it's what we need. Do something to get this kids playing with confidence. And the practice routine of AR will allow them to get comfortable quickly and play faster with less thinking.

Also he is veteran coach who has worked in different leagues under different styles of HC, who can adapt.

That’s a pretty spot on analysis

Great post

Advertisement
After doing some review Im super pumped about what Dawson could bring to our offense.

His ability to use space and focus on matchups will be huge. His redzone creativity will also really standout
Doesn't take much to be more creative than Gattis in the redzone. Anything beyond run up the middle was considered too exotic for Josh.

I don't think there's ever a chance Mario goes total air raid. It's really exciting that he's seemingly seen the light on updated college football concepts but, the way I see it, MC is taking the long view and trying to get us in position to be able to compete with Bama, UGA, OSU, Clemson. I don't see him viewing full air raid as a way for us to do that so mixing in air raid concepts with a strong run game will probably be as far as MC will go.

I envision our offense ultimately looking like what TCU ran this year once TVD is gone (TVD isn't a runner like the TCU QB this year).

Advertisement
Because I honestly didn’t know much about the guy I’ve been doing some message board “research” and it really is just seeming like they’re butthurt.

Casual Houston fan: How was the game?

Rabid Houston fan: Sucked. Staff is great, but we have the worst OC. Runs too much. I hate his play calling. His shirt seems ill-fitting. I'll bet he doesn't like South Park.

Casual Houston fan: Yikes. What was the score?

Rabid Houston fan: 44-40, Houston.

The only negative comments that I have found regarding Dawson were comments posted by the Rivals Kentucky Moderator (Justin Rowland) after the 2015 season and it all had to do with Dawson's "hands off ... just coach football" relationship with his QB's and offensive players. "I'm not going into details but Shannon Dawson was totally unplugged from his players & families in an unacceptable way last year". Kentucky was #79 in total offense the year before Dawson arrived. Ranked #89 for Dawson's one season, and improved to #61 the year after Dawson left.

Certainly his 2022 season at Houston was stellar by comparison, so it is really hard to put too much emphasis on what was going on at Kentucky in Stoops 3rd year, and his record in the SEC at a time when KY was basically comparable to FAU 10 years ago.
Context matters and the vast majority of reporters get a small snapshot of what’s really going on.

Advertisement
Back