Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Advertisement
The way Reid used motion for KC was an absolute clinic. It reminded me of a few motion plays Sark used back at Bama with Devonta and crew. I like motion, but not EVERY play......like i can't stand jet sweep motion shift everyone Matt Canada. For one, it leads to too many **** penalties and becomes a clock issue at times. That said, the best coaches know how/when to use it to iso their main receiver or to cause issues in the coverage schemes.
As a Steelers fan you cut me deep with the Matt Canada reference.

I was one of those that thought Mario was strongly wedded to a specific offensive approach, so I’m more than surprised he went air raid for this hire, but it makes sense.

When you have overwhelming talent, which is where he wants to go, you can run the UGA or Bama offense.

But when you don’t, like us, air raid makes eminently more sense. Mario has not had the chance to accumulate that type of talent, if and when he does it wouldn’t surprise me if he gravitated more towards that style. But for now, this makes sense.

Nobody knows how this hire will turn out, but at the very least this shows he’s willing to adapt based on his current circumstances. That is the best news of all regarding this hire.

Advertisement
Really interesting nuggets from this 2020 article.

Dawson wanted to offer a scholarship to Bennett while he was at Southern Miss (the HC did not let him do it) and he was the main reason Mac Jones committed to Kentucky before flipping to Alabama when Dawson got fired.

Interesting

Advertisement
Houston tears?

1676406540935.gif
1676406540935.gif

1676406633615.gif

Remember this quote 12 months from now

“Back then they didn’t want me, now I’m hot they all on me” - Mike Jones….. referring to Shannon Dawson’s first 12 months at Miami

This hire was about getting TVD in a scheme he is comfortable with, and running a more wide open offense to put players in a position to succeed.

I guarantee the players at Miami will love this offense waaaaaay better than Gattis offense. TVD has a chance to be the best QB he has worked with, and this OL has a chance to be the best OL he had been able to work with. He has some pieces.
I'm not hating that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back