Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Advertisement
UH fans seem pretty happy he is leaving so idk

I have to be honest, I care more about "fan reactions" when they are well-documented BEFORE the move. When it is AFTER, it seems very "sour grapes". On top of which, they have no idea who the replacement is. They could be waxing poetic about Dawson six months from now...

Advertisement
Go read what UK fans said about Neal Brown when he was there. He had great offenses at previous stops but his offenses there looked nothing like the past teams. My good friend is a huge Cat fan and their fans constantly complained about his offenses and how they looked nothing like those at TT. It’s almost like Stoops made Brown, Dawson and Gran all look bad. None of them were there long because he’s a defensive coach that wants to run the ball and be conservative. He’s known for bumping heads with OC’s.

There’s a reason why he left the air raid stuff and went the more caveman / pro style approach with Coen.

Advertisement
Appreciate that insight. I prefer the motion to get leverage or, like KC and so many NFL teams do, for both (coverage and leverage). One more motion question and then I'll leave you to the other @s you're getting:

How does he move the H, Y and Z around? I ask because of our personnel. As you noted, I think we've got some talent at slot and I think we need to use Arroyo and Skinner (perhaps one of the Frosh) way, way, way better.

Agree on George, by the way. Funny enough, I think Brinson would likely do well in this presumed offense, too.
We played with two tight a lot more often than one would think and I know Mario likes that. UH has pretty good players at TE for our conference but nothing compared to the room he has now. I would expect Brantley or arroyo to be our H back most times and skinner flexed out. I actually expect our tight ends to get the bulk of motion they’re probably our most talented pass catchers so he’ll try to win matchups with them early. There’s always a check down coming across the formation somehow no matter what as well. Colbie young will probably almost always work solo/away from the trips or strong side. Idk I’ll have a better answer once I sit and really look at our team and compare it to UH’s. I think we had a lot of similarities as far as player styles though

I hated it in the Gattis offense. It doesn’t give your qb a chance to get in rhythm IMO.

And I don’t see how it works in an air raid. With leach offenses, they were traditionally best with an experienced QB, who could get to the LOS and determine pre-snap where the ball should be delivered. I don’t want my OC deciding that.

I assume he sits in the booth if he is doing check with me?
He was usually in the booth but not always. But I don’t recall us doing check with me a majority of our offense we did have it but not enough to really make a fuss over it

Advertisement
Learn and grow?

Did you watch last season?

failure is part of learning and growth; in fact, some might argue it's essential.

I don't believe Mario has changed his vision of what []__[] football is supposed to look like, but after last season he's clearly open to different ways of getting there. This hire suggests he wanted a more pass-oriented influence on his offensive staff, and I believe the remaining pro-style minds will contribute towards Saturday afternoons as well.

Advertisement
We played with two tight a lot more often than one would think and I know Mario likes that. UH has pretty good players at TE for our conference but nothing compared to the room he has now. I would expect Brantley or arroyo to be our H back most times and skinner flexed out. I actually expect our tight ends to get the bulk of motion they’re probably our most talented pass catchers so he’ll try to win matchups with them early. There’s always a check down coming across the formation somehow no matter what as well. Colbie young will probably almost always work solo/away from the trips or strong side. Idk I’ll have a better answer once I sit and really look at our team and compare it to UH’s. I think we had a lot of similarities as far as player styles though

So the scheme I drew up last year will finally be realized.

TDZ2TE6 (1)~2.jpg

Is there any oc who is consistently in the top 25 offenses regardless of where he’s been at?

Football is extremely complicated. 11 players depending on each other.
Matchups, injuries, suspensions.
I have no idea what this guy will do here. But he does have positive things in his favor with players that put up stats and teams that put up points.

As far as a running game with air raid dudes or spread dudes, tcu had Kendre Miller run for almost 1400 yards last year and tcu was 25th in rushing.
Ole miss was number 2 in rushing.

Why do people keep stressing about the run with non pro style teams? Put it to bed already.

Advertisement
Back