Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Air raid concepts with a diverse run scheme should work well!!!
Yes!

Looks like offense by committee with implementation of the power run concepts Mario likes. To me this is more about seasoning the offensive staff with someone from the Air-Raid tree. More interesting will be the WR coach hire and analysts, because they're likely to take over when Dawson leaves.

Good for Mario! He continues to pursue opportunities for growth as a football coach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Yes!

Looks like offense by committee with implementation of power run concepts Mario likes. To me this is more about seasoning the offensive staff with someone from the Air-Raid tree. More interesting will be the WR coach hire and analysts, because they are likely to take over when Dawson leaves.

Good for Mario! He continues to learn and grow as a coach.
Learn and grow?

Did you watch last season?

Yes!

Looks like offense by committee with implementation of power run concepts Mario likes. To me this is more about seasoning the offensive staff with someone from the Air-Raid tree. More interesting will be the WR coach hire and analysts, because they are likely to take over when Dawson leaves.

Good for Mario! He continues to learn and grow as a coach.
I’m very intrigued to see the analysis with O staff.

Manny is fresh in my mind as well

Tbh I’m really just joking around but same time if we need a former linebacker to coach our guys I feel like the university of Miami would have a few guys to choose from
But other than Barrow (who was run off), how many have a coaching resume?

Advertisement
Let me also ask this (genuinely curious): if Dawson was such a garbage play caller that Dana had to take the reins mid-season, why was he still retained by Dana? Surely if you’re complete trash and predictable enough to force your employer’s hand and assume your responsibilities in the middle of a season, you’d be let go.

Doesn’t add up.
Too many people are complaining he got stripped of the play calling because they were averaging just shy of 30 points. Miami scored less than 20 points 7 times last year. Let that sink in. Miami scored 20 or less points 7 games last year. Give me this Dawson all day long. Was he the first choice probably not but he will have Miami scoring some points and creating some mismatches.

NO. No idea where that comes from. Dana did have a meeting with him and the QB about what Dana wants but again we were scoring 30 a game before that meeting. Dana’s tempo didn’t match Dawson’s
Dana wanted to play faster?
also, a Kentucky writer said Dawson was not well liked by players. How did you find his relationships with UH players?

Advertisement
How is Dawson with motion, generally? I'm interpreting from your post that he either wasn't using it enough or was it that Dana wanted it used for other reasons than Dawson was using it? Does Shannon use it to determine coverage or gain leverage? After the Super Bowl, I know it's the popular thing to talk about now. But, always curious how/why coaches use motion.

Sorry to interrupt the hysteria (everyone, click Ads!) here with a few football questions. Would just like to learn as much as I can about this dude.
Dawson mostly motions for check with me purposes so yeah to determine coverage. The initial play call is hardly ever the play ran. But the QB usually has two options he can take on his own based on what he sees. He doesn’t motion enough with the run game Dana implemented that and I hope he keep that’s with him. It’s huge to get a numbers advantage. In the passing game the motion man is his most dangerous usually so a move TE or slot but he also likes to isolate speed in space. Tank is only about 5’9 and we lined him out wide and told him just beat the guy across from him. Based on our personnel skinner, the young slot WR’s and young will hit the ground running. I think jacolby George bounces back too

How is Dawson with motion, generally? I'm interpreting from your post that he either wasn't using it enough or was it that Dana wanted it used for other reasons than Dawson was using it? Does Shannon use it to determine coverage or gain leverage? After the Super Bowl, I know it's the popular thing to talk about now. But, always curious how/why coaches use motion.

Sorry to interrupt the hysteria (everyone, click Ads!) here with a few football questions. Would just like to learn as much as I can about this dude.
The way Reid used motion for KC was an absolute clinic. It reminded me of a few motion plays Sark used back at Bama with Devonta and crew. I like motion, but not EVERY play......like i can't stand jet sweep motion shift everyone Matt Canada. For one, it leads to too many **** penalties and becomes a clock issue at times. That said, the best coaches know how/when to use it to iso their main receiver or to cause issues in the coverage schemes.

Advertisement
If anyone cares, here's my 100% honest No BS anti Don Bailey Jr take on this hire.

It's not doomed, but you would have to a blind homer to not recognize this is a risky hire. His resume has ups and downs. I've posed this question in the past but I can't think of ONE example in recent CFB history where a COORDINATOR was fired IN COLLEGE, as a COORDINATOR on HIS side of the ball for a lack of performance and went on to great things in his career. I'm not talking about a guy who went to the pros and failed and returned to CFB to find success. History is littered with coaches in every capacity who failed in the NFL only to return to success in college. I'm also NOT talking about a coordinator whose unit performed well but as a result of the HC he was attached to getting fired, the entire staff was subsequently fired.

This guy was directly and individually fired for a lack of performance in the OC capacity at Kentucky. Period. I've already seen the takes about their talent or lack thereof there.....but it just isn't a great historical sign. Also, do we know FOR SURE that he was 100% responsible for ALL of the playcalling at Houston? God forbid this is another Gattis situation where Matthew Weiss was actually the one calling plays at Michigan.

I think there are some gaps in what we all know in regards to the two concerns I posted above so I'm not going to doom this hire.....but I find it interesting that Mario is choosing to hitch his wagon to such a risky hire. Dawson could be good....or the signs above could be a harbinger of things to come.

Mario shot his shot and for better or worse, this hire will probably end up defining his tenure at Miami. Let's all hope for the best but I'll say it again....if I was going to make a risky hire this offseason it would have been on someone like Bobby Petrino.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back