Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
They wanted him fired but not Doug belk who was hot as fish grease last offseason who had a defense ranked in the 100s this season.. tells your how smart most fans are of any fan base

Houston lost like 6 starters on defense to injury this year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He was solid. He developed Mullens. I think it’s a solid hire with a high ceiling. The scheme is a perfect fit and Mario must have gotten that through his think skull

I do want to know if this is two years in a row we've struck out on multiple people before the inevitable hire. That's probably a really important discussion.

I obviously have much less confidence in the hire the further down the list we go.

Advertisement
Houston lost like 6 starters on defense to injury this year.
Dude I’m a UH grad you can’t tell me anything about them I don’t know lol we still had enough talent to not be THAT bad. We lost a RB on offense that we thought would be a top rusher in the nation as well as our Wr’s including tank being banged up. No way no matter who we lost on defense should we have been ranked where we were

Advertisement
Dawson took over in 2016. I mean it's not a bad season but seems like Mullens regressed going from Monken in 2015 to Dawson in 2016.

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2013Southern MississippiCUSAFRQB913627649.317766.45.11314108.7
2014Southern MississippiCUSASOQB1021836559.724706.86.3129122.5
*2015Southern MississippiCUSAJRQB1433152163.544768.69.03812155.2
*2016Southern MississippiCUSASRQB1124338463.332728.58.52411149.8

I don’t have much context but simply based off your chart: In 2015 Mullens played 3 more games & had significantly more attempts. Completion %, rating and yards per attempt were fairly similar in both 2015 and 2016. Rating had the largest variance.

If you prorate the 2015 stats to 11 games as opposed to 14 I would imagine the yards & touchdowns would be much closer.

Not sure if that could be a “regression” when the sample size under Monken seems to be larger. The “regression” conclusion is somewhat skewed, however your point is well taken.

i think it's interesting Mario's complete 180...

last year we hired 2 big time coordinators from 2 big time P5 teams (although Steele left Maryland, he had been a DC at some big programs)... neither one known for being innovative necessarily...

this year he went the complete opposite direction.. 2 G5 guys... with virtually none or very little P5 experience...
On paper, I loved last year's hires and it mostly didn't work out. This year, on paper, I like this move to hungrier people who will actually have some dawg in them.

As always, we shall see...

Advertisement
Not many kind words for Dawson on the UH 247 site. Said the offense only got better halfway through the year when Holgerson took over play calling. They are really, seriously not upset and said yall told us about D'nofrio, now we are repaying the favor.

TrumpyCane will play devils advocate

Houston’s first 5 games the combined record of the teams were 42-25

Their last 8 games when Holgerson apparently took over was 41-59

TrumpyCane wonders what the difference was

Advertisement
Back