Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Advertisement
Houston was 25th in total offense last year. Wake Forest was 30th and people would wet themselves for Ruggiero. They were also 61st in time of possession and 28th in red zone offense.
Wake was 4th the year before.

Houston gets better talent than wake also.

Just saying.

Dawson took over in 2016. I mean it's not a bad season but seems like Mullens regressed going from Monken in 2015 to Dawson in 2016.

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2013Southern MississippiCUSAFRQB913627649.317766.45.11314108.7
2014Southern MississippiCUSASOQB1021836559.724706.86.3129122.5
*2015Southern MississippiCUSAJRQB1433152163.544768.69.03812155.2
*2016Southern MississippiCUSASRQB1124338463.332728.58.52411149.8
He didn't regress.....he had way less attempts, man. Completion percentage, Y/A, and rating nearly identical. The big difference is attempts because he plays in three fewer games.

Advertisement
His running game has been largely average to horrendous in his career. I guess the Mario brofence jokes can stop.

And so will I....I'll back him 100%....I thought we could do better though. As far as what other people think, I learned along time ago not to care what others think. Their gonna think what they want regardless, so why waste time worrying about it.
Oh i agree.

Even if that was true (it’s not) we only scored less than 30 one time before Memphis and it was against an elite Tulane defense (ring a bell?) in which we scored 24. He was for sure married to running the ball a lot more early in the season but THAT was on Dana. It wasn’t until tune spoke up himself to Both coaches that we went full on pass the ball and it worked but still.. we were scoring 30 a game regardless
Thanks for the information bro. I want all the insights from Cougar fans. Side note i went to Grambling and ran at UH at TSU many times, indoors mostly at UH, but FR year SWAC champs was also at UH outdoor. I love Houston boi, them texas mamasitas. Everywhere.

Advertisement
Dawson took over in 2016. I mean it's not a bad season but seems like Mullens regressed going from Monken in 2015 to Dawson in 2016.

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2013Southern MississippiCUSAFRQB913627649.317766.45.11314108.7
2014Southern MississippiCUSASOQB1021836559.724706.86.3129122.5
*2015Southern MississippiCUSAJRQB1433152163.544768.69.03812155.2
*2016Southern MississippiCUSASRQB1124338463.332728.58.52411149.8
Seems to me like they threw the ball a lot less and in 3 less games

And so will I....I'll back him 100%....I thought we could do better though. As far as what other people think, I learned along time ago not to care what others think. Their gonna think what they want regardless, so why waste time worrying about it.
We absolutely could have done better, especially considering we could have gotten this guy in December.

Anyone saying otherwise is just in denial. Let’s see what he does *shrugs*

Friend, I know we have PTSD from the last 20 years, but if FSU or Florida made this hire we’d be laughing our asses off.

The cope in this thread is very strong.
Would that make us right? This isn't binary, there are very few guaranteed hires. We all laughed at Mike and FSU last off-season knowing we were about to smash them. Using fanss' judgement and reactions are a fools errand.

Advertisement
I like the fact Mario is hiring somebody not committed to Big Ten smash mouth football. My 1 concern with Dawson is will it be a gimmicky offense where it’s starts off prolific until competent DCs figure it out and he then lacks the capacity to adjust?

That was the problem with Lispy’s D. He started off terrorizing Os but when OCs adjusted to his schemes he was lost. I’m not saying Dawson is Lispy but that is a big concern for me with this hire.

Thanks for the information bro. I want all the insights from Cougar fans. Side note i went to Grambling and ran at UH at TSU many times, indoors mostly at UH, but FR year SWAC champs was also at UH outdoor. I love Houston boi, them texas mamasitas. Everywhere.
Oh so you know the vibes!! Man we used to walk across the street to TSU and sit in that cafe like we went to school there.

Would that make us right? This isn't binary, there are very few guaranteed hires. We all laughed at Mike and FSU last off-season knowing we were about to smash them. Using fanss' judgement and reactions are a fools errand.
I still laugh at G5 Mike because he sucks. 1 season where they didn’t beat anyone respectable doesn’t change that lol

Advertisement
We just hired Kentucky's Josh Gattis. Hopefully this works out
I have no idea if he is going to be good or not, but that was also 8 years ago and he has been several places since. Regardless of factors outside of his control that may or may not have factored in, I think it is fair to say that he may have evolved/improved in that time and more weight should be put on recent results.

Advertisement
Back