Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
haven't seen this discussed yet but is this guy known as a top recruiter as well? maybe it doesn't matter with the amount of offensive recruiters on the staff but was curious about this. maybe he just needs to be a guy who sits in his office and designs new plays/schemes.

Advertisement
Niece graduates from UH this year so watched a fair amount of their games. I'm surprised to hear how lukewarm folks are, this is an A hire in my eyes.

Mario looked at Miami's only offensive success from the last 20 years - Lashlee, and realized he needed to change the present scheme dramatically in that direction. Dawson is going to have the same dramatic shift in offensive stats as Enos to Lashlee, especially with a healthy TVD. Not to mention 5 star wide receivers will actually give us the time of day again.

My kid has talked to a few scholly players on the O side and they're really pumped. In my opinion, this hire is step 1 in the offense regaining their self-confidence.
Its a reason why Brinson, Smith, and Knighton all transferred to SMU. The offensive style they like playing in.

Advertisement
Explain what u mean. Tell us the low down of it. Apparently Holgorsen took over during the Memphis comeback and thats when the offense took off. One of your fan said it on twitter. Not one said something good
Even if that was true (it’s not) we only scored less than 30 one time before Memphis and it was against an elite Tulane defense (ring a bell?) in which we scored 24. He was for sure married to running the ball a lot more early in the season but THAT was on Dana. It wasn’t until tune spoke up himself to Both coaches that we went full on pass the ball and it worked but still.. we were scoring 30 a game regardless

Advertisement
Honest question:

Do you think it's underwhelming because you've never heard of him?
My reaction after JJ was hired was "JJ who? From Ok St?" But what do I know. I'm not @Memnon .
Or do you maybe think that it's because you aren't aware of a guy who has produced 36 point per game offenses at Houston twice in the last two years, including one where they won 12 games and beat an SEC team in a bowl game, because you don't really follow CFB that closely?
Even if you follow CFB closely, unless you follow a team as closely as we follow the Canes it's difficult to discern the reasons or factors behind success or failure. It's best to be non-judgemental.

Last edited:
Can someone whose smarter than me explain why Houston fans want the guy who put up 35+ ppg the last two years fired? I can't imagine having a top 15 offense two years in a row and being happy he left.
Houston fans are not distraught, at least not the ones I've seen.

36 points per game in both 2021 and 2022 are mediocre? Fascinating.

That's where the word almost comes into play....

I like yards per play, because it has less variables out of the offenses control than yards/game or scoring offense.

He's had one good season in that regard in his career.

9 seasons as OC in FBS.

Advertisement
At least our offense will be exciting.

That UVA game with Jake Garcia has to have violated the Geneva Conventions - pure torture.
Dude, imagine travelling 10k miles to watch the UNC game - randomly surrounded by obnoxious "it ain't the 90's anymore!" UNC fans.

I've sued the university. To be fair so have those UNC fans - it's a harrowing experience being called a cunextuesday by an Englishman.

Advertisement
Well, at least he isn't ******* Mike Bobo lol.

Kirby done screwed up.
Kirby and Saban are so tired of dominating that they’re trying to sabotage themselves with their OC hires.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Even if that was true (it’s not) we only scored less than 30 one time and it was against an elite Tulane defense (ring a bell?) in which we scored 24. He was for sure married to running the ball a lot more early in the season but THAT was on Dana. It wasn’t until tune spoke up himself to Both coaches that we went full on pass the ball and it worked but still.. we were scoring 30 a game regardless

This "scoring 30 a game" fantasy world you speak of....can you expand on that some? I'm trying to envision it and just can't get much of a grasp. Is this place real?

Advertisement
Back