Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Advertisement
None of us know if this is a good hire or bad hire. Kinda difficult to get too upset about it.

With that said, Dawson has been pretty horrible when operating an offense on his own without Holgerson overseeing things.

In 2015, Southern Mississippi was 11th in the country in scoring offense with Monken as HC. Nick Mullens was a Junior QB that threw 38 TDs and over 4400 yards. Monken took an NFL job the next season which prompted them to hire Dawson as new OC.

In 2016, with Dawson as OC, Mullens regressed throwing only 28 TDs and a shade over 3200 yards. Southern Miss also dropped 30+ spots to 47th in scoring offense. In 2017, they were 66th in scoring offense and then in 2018, they were 98th.

Which led Dawson back to Houston as TE coach under Holgerson and eventually promoted to OC.

Oh and before Southern Miss was Kentucky where he was a trainwreck. The warning signs are there. But we shall see.

No, let's not revisit at the end of the season.

The "Mario will never hire an Air Raid guy" bros were adamant that it would never happen. They never said "let's see how whether Mario modifies it". They just said it would never happen.

It happened.
I am referring to seeing the results at the end of the season.

Dawson seems to be a solid hire.

Advertisement
I'd never heard of Dawson before the last week or so, this hire optically seems a bit underwhelming to me considering the rumors of Frost, K2, Candle. But I'm just a casually educated fan in offensive philosophies so I'll certainly withhold any judgement or criticism and pray for the best.

Go canes!

Honest question:

Do you think it's underwhelming because you've never heard of him?

Or do you maybe think that it's because you aren't aware of a guy who has produced 36 point per game offenses at Houston twice in the last two years, including one where they won 12 games and beat an SEC team in a bowl game, because you don't really follow CFB that closely?

May not be the perfect hire but you're going to attract WRs to play in this offense again. Speeds up the learning curve of the passing game for Jacurri. Air-raid is very easy to learn and to apply on the field.

Does this make us 10-2 or 11-1 next year? No. But I think we capitalize on what we do have and TVDs last year is a good fit in the system. Year 1 under Dawson will far exceed year 1 under someone like Applewhite, Streeter, etc.

I expect 30 points per game.

To be fair, is any OC going to make us 11-1 next year? We are still another recruiting class away from that expectation, imo.

Advertisement
Houstons OLine was dog**** last year, thats a lot of manufactured points. And he probably would have ran the ball more if they could move anyone out of the way.

This ones going to come down to how well they can blend the Mario/Mirabal OLine play and run game with Dawsons air raid passing attack. Its typically wider splits and a different type of blocking scheme with a handful of basic run plays so they can go fast. Really interested to see if they can mad scientist this thing into the best of both worlds.

Advertisement
Can't believe Mario went 100% pure air-raid.

We've been asking for this at Miami for 15-20 years. I'm open to seeing how it plays out.

I don't think I would have chosen Dawson of all guys but it's a step in the right direction.

I'm shocked, I never took this serious cause of Mario's offenses in the past. I'm really curious why Mario changed up

Advertisement
Houstons OLine was dog**** last year, thats a lot of manufactured points. And he probably would have ran the ball more if they could move anyone out of the way.

This ones going to come down to how well they can blend the Mario/Mirabal OLine play and run game with Dawsons air raid passing attack. Its typically wider splits and a different type of blocking scheme with a handful of basic run plays so they can go fast. Really interested to see if they can mad scientist this thing into the best of both worlds.
We were actively asking them to stop running the ball. That’s how bad our line was.

We love him in houston he got connections to anybody he wants as soon as he asks.
Get this ***** some WRs. I truly don't give a **** who the coordinator is. If he can sign some skill players to put up points I'm happy. Only thing I don't want is 4 qtrd snapping the ball with 30 seconds left on the play clock.

Biggest thing that gets me excited is he comes from an air raid background and was groomed under Holgorsen who is an offensive guru. The stats at Houston don't matter to me as Gattis had great stats and won the F'ing Broyles. It's all about the scheme and system you run. Might not win the twitter headlines but I like the hire. Hopefully Mario lets Dawson bring in a couple of his guys too at least in QC roles to help install the system.

Advertisement
Back