Shannon Dawson is the New OC/QB Coach

View as article
Dawson has been involved in many more prolific offenses than Gattis was so maybe that is a positve.

I will say after 2015 at Southern Miss, they lost their starting RB(1,000 yard rusher), and top 2 WR's that accounted for 21 TD receptions so comparing Monken 2015 season offensively to Dawson 2016 season offensively isn't apples to apples. QB did remain.

Now about his time at Kentucky all I know is they badmouthed him after one season, so he goes to Southern Miss plays Kentucky first game and rushes for 280 yards and hangs 44 points on Stoops defense and Southern Miss wins 44-35 ha.

Advertisement
Neg me to oblivion all you want — and I hope I’m wrong — but Dawson has been a lackluster OC for his entire career. Dig deeper than just last year at UH and you’ll see that. I think we’re in trouble.
Well, our neighborhood OFF guru, @Memnon seems to think this is a homerun hire...and I happen to agree with him.

Two sides to every tale and usually the truth is somewhere in the middle. Based on what we got out of Gattis last year, I'll take the middle and we should win 8

Advertisement
Houston fans don't like him and we're already making excuses as to why he sucked at UK. Yep, it's a Miami-esque hire alright. Anything will be better than last year's offense but Mario doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt with this hire.

Idiots that judge him on UK have no idea about that one year. Stoops makes Mario look like Mcvay. He brought in air raid guys and wanted them to run the ball 40 times. They had almost 2000 yards his one year. Now go look at Houston this year.

Clayton Tune (#827 overall player in his class, 3-star QB ranked 35th overall) in 13 games vs FBS competition last year:

67.3% completions, 4074 yards, 8.2 YPA, 40 TDs, 10 INTs, 12th best rating in the country.

Dude was 3rd in the country in TD passes, behind scrubs named Caleb Williams and CJ Stroud (and Williams played 1 more game).

And in case you're still not impressed, in 2021, Tune had the 11th best passer rating in America and had a higher YPA and completion %.

Advertisement
The most important and exciting thing about these 2 hires is that it tells us a lot about who Mario is at this point. There's been a lot of gloom and doom based on our worry that he has a stubborn football ideology that puts limitations on how good the program can be. Now we're seeing some real evidence that that's not true. No guarantees about these two guys, but wow, there's real reason for hope. Now, let's go out and sell the idea of a dynamic offense to some big time recruits who can shine in it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Some similarities to the Lashlee hire on paper.

Remember, there was a lot of talk about how Lashlee failed at previous stops and was only riding Sonny Dykes's coattails.

I don’t remember that being the case at all.

People legit wanted Lashlee as a Top Choice. Not the best of the horrible choices.

Lashlee also didn’t really have a long career of failure.

The issue with Lashlee is to what degree he was responsible for any of it, including the successes. Was he just Gus’ and Dyke’s OC like people are Jimbo’s OC?

Lashlee just felt young and modern.

The big issue with Dawson, besides his lack of success almost his entire career, is that there’s no tempo to anything he runs. There’s no RPO. There’s maybe some read option.

It’s basically the offense Kentucky was running with Tim Couch in 1998.

Whereas Lashlee’s version of the Air Raid was the modern take on it.

Advertisement
Back