Shalala's Current Role

Hurracanes

Your favorite poster’s favorite poster.
Premium
First of all, I want to go on record by saying I believe Miami needs to leave Sun Life Stadium. If there is any opportunity of playing in the new stadium, Miami needs to take it. Miami needs to play closer to campus and/or the city. It would inject an incredible amount of buzz into the program and it could potentially save it. Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen.

That being said, why is Donna taking a leadership role with the MLS/UM potential deal? I was under the impression, Shalala and the BOT, didn't want to fire Golden because they didn't want to commit to a new head coach without the new President's approval. It's a total contradiction.

Last edited:
Advertisement
because she wants to say to everyone who have lashed out against her for her lack of focus on athletics to make it seem like she did something for the athletics

it dont matter if we get it or not she can go on and say now "hey i tried to give you all something"

I totally agree, Hurra.

Just to clarify, she:

1) Cannot fire the coach because its not fair to the incoming president. (a $5 million expenditure)

2) Is taking the lead role in a new stadium in her final hours.. (a $50+ million expenditure).

I guess donna only likes to **** up things that are really, REALLY costly. (cough cough - UMJM med. - cough cough).

because she wants to say to everyone who have lashed out against her for her lack of focus on athletics to make it seem like she did something for the athletics

it dont matter if we get it or not she can go on and say now "hey i tried to give you all something"

Yup.

Its gonna chap my *** next month when the Canes win baseball national title #5 , because donna will take full credit for that into perpetuity.

Yup.

Its gonna chap my *** next month when the Canes win baseball national title #5 , because donna will take full credit for that into perpetuity.

this is a PR move for her and her image simple as that

Advertisement
interesting point.
I guess any movement/momentum she can get for this thing is a positive as far as I am concerned.
methinks that we can play in smaller stadium for most of our games and play the "big" i.e. sold out games at Sans Life.
that's how the Alabama tide used to "roll" in ye olden days.
that's how they held the home win streak record before we broke it.
they cheated. counted only the games at the smaller stadium.
True story

Advertisement
The whole 40k seating issue is so stupid and short sighted. It's called supply and demand. At the moment, the MLS is building a brand; therefore, it's strategy is to construct small venues in Urban areas. It really is a smart plan. Furthermore, in 10 to 20 years, the demand for Football (Soccer) will be higher, forcing clubs to add more seats for fans in its venues. It makes too much sense for Miami. Closer to campus, on holy land and a much more intimate venue.

Not to mention an official Soccer team in Miami. It is all too good to be true.

I'll point out that when Stanford stadium renovated and went from 90K to 50K..... ticket prices tripled.

This could very well be a desired outcome of UM's efforts; To price out the local market fans.

First of all, I want to go on record by saying I believe Miami needs to leave Sun Life Stadium. If there is any opportunity of playing in the new stadium, Miami needs to take it. Miami needs to play closer to campus and/or the city. It would inject an incredible amount of buzz into the program and it could potentially save it. Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen.

That being said, why is Donna taking a leadership role with the MLS/UM potential deal? I was under the impression, Shalala and the BOT, didn't want to fire Golden because they didn't want to commit to a new head coach without the new President's approval. It's a total contradiction.

Because Miami is on Beckham's timetable, not the other way around. Beckham's group aren't going to wait around for UM to change presidents, they need to get something done NOW.

Because Miami is on Beckham's timetable, not the other way around. Beckham's group aren't going to wait around for UM to change presidents, they need to get something done NOW.

This does make sense.

Advertisement
It also sounds like MLS isn't going to wait around much longer either as proposed sites have been shot down while San Antonio is clamoring for a team.

Sounds like the Dolphins will play a major role in our future. Will they release us from the lease? They better if they don't want to **** off a great deal of their fan base.

According to the latest from Ross, it doesn't sound like he's interested in letting us out of our lease.

I wouldn't have a problem with that either. We signed a contract and we're obviously part of his business plan now that he thought we'd be there for two decades. A potentially sweeter deal comes along and he's just supposed to tear up the contract we signed?

Advertisement
According to the latest from Ross, it doesn't sound like he's interested in letting us out of our lease.

I wouldn't have a problem with that either. We signed a contract and we're obviously part of his business plan now that he thought we'd be there for two decades. A potentially sweeter deal comes along and he's just supposed to tear up the contract we signed?

They would obviously have to work a deal out. Wouldn't be smart of Ross being the reason Canes don't play in new stadium. Would **** off the community, great deal of fan base and local politicians.

I'll point out that when Stanford stadium renovated and went from 90K to 50K..... ticket prices tripled.

This could very well be a desired outcome of UM's efforts; To price out the local market fans.

Despite her party affiliation, when it gets right down to it, Donna and the rest of the BOT don't want the folks from Liberty City and Overtown to be able to actually BUY TICKETS to see Hurricane Football.

I wonder why?

They would obviously have to work a deal out. Wouldn't be smart of Ross being the reason Canes don't play in new stadium. Would **** off the community, great deal of fan base and local politicians.

The Dolphin Front Office would lose a popularity contest to Hitler and a ticket of concentration camp guards. They literally don't Give A Rat's *** what Dolphins Fans think about the team.

Ross cares about Michigan Football. Period. Perhaps the Fins should change their names to the Wolverines!

Advertisement
Back