Shai Mckenzie 2014 RB from Penn Could be Next UM RB Offer

Paranos

All-ACC
A new RB is coming into the picture for UM.

UM has been quietly reaching out to 2014 RB Shai Mckenzie from Pennsylvania, in effort to hedge its bets at the RB position for the 2014 Class should the unthinkable happen with a miss on Sony and Cook. Well it looks like in the year with Yearby being UM's only committed RB the unthinkable is about to happen UM will miss on 2 of 3 hometown players with super star potential at a desperate position of need.

So Al Golden has put the troops to work an they have dug up a Diamond from Coal Country PA in the 6ft 220lb power running back McKenzie, who rushed for 2,700 yards and 42 touchdowns as a junior last fall. Mckenzie has several top tier offer so far from every power running tea from the Big 10, SEC, and ACC. An he is feeling the hometown pressure to attend PITT, but the offer he really wants most is yup you guessed it from UM. So he is sending UM more film and reaching out to the coaches more in attempt to move along the offer process.

Isn't that something you kids not from South Florida who covet and respect an offer from UM over offers from SEC & Big 10 Schools, wow what a concept. But back to Shai, this Pennsy wrecking ball of running back has power to break tackles and enough top end speed to take it the house on almost any play, and for good measure he even has a mean dead leg move that has broken a few defender ankles.

So if Canes Fans hearts are not ripped out on Friday and Sony does commit to UM, I would still look for Shai to get an offer an even commit to UM. Shai doesn't mind sharing the Roc and understands at the next level it is running back by committee which saves the RB's body. Again another novel thought, in a time when recruits are scampering to be the only ones taken in a class at a particular position. I can see why AG is covertly throwing UM's hat in the ring for this young man.

Go Canes!

[video=youtube;32vg0x5BQFk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32vg0x5BQFk[/video]

[video=youtube;t0CozoJUOnI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0CozoJUOnI[/video]

Advertisement
That would be nice to have a big boy like him sharing the load with Yearby.

That would be nice to have a big boy like him sharing the load with Yearby.

My thoughts exactly and this kid is 25+ carry a game type of back easily that break the long runs. No here is a thought imagine Shai, Sony, and Yearby in the 2014 class, to go along with the Oline class we have already.

Go Canes!

This dude can ball and honestly I think that even if we get Sony i want to get a good look on this kid because I always knew he had the goods but i thought he had an offer already

Advertisement
Agreed. Golden wants 2-3 backs lets get Yearby, this guy, and then if one of the self proclaimed cane dream schoolers (Sony or Cook) wanna join that would be unreal.

Agreed. Golden wants 2-3 backs lets get Yearby, this guy, and then if one of the self proclaimed cane dream schoolers (Sony or Cook) wanna join that would be unreal.
I would pray for Roc Thomas too. Another thing is i'm glad that we are going into more then the big 3 local rbs because even though im high on all of them there are studs all over that we may have great chances at

I'm from he PA and this kid is gonna go to Pitt now that Shell is gone and plus I question his ability. Andrew Johnson was a football god here and went to the U and was a scrub and this kid is no where near as talented as Johnson was.

I'm from he PA and this kid is gonna go to Pitt now that Shell is gone and plus I question his ability. Andrew Johnson was a football god here and went to the U and was a scrub and this kid is no where near as talented as Johnson was.

What makes you say that Shai is a lock to PITT, when he speaks about UM and his whole demeanor changes to a more upbeat an excited state.

As for Andrew Johnson being a scrub well UM's sports department thought otherwise:
CAREER: Extremely talented running back who could be the team's best breakaway threat among the returning running backs...Star athlete was one of three freshman runners recruited in 2004...Returned from a knee injury to play in the second half of his sophomore season in 2005...Played as the No. 4 running back (behind Frank Gore, Tyronne Moss, & Deron Thomas) and on special teams as a true freshman in 2004...Has breakaway speed and an exceptional burst even after the injury...Is also tough running between the tackles...Suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in December 2004 practice...Ran on the track team in spring 2006, recording the team's top indoor marks in the 55-meters (6.52) and 60-meters (7.01). Also ran the opening leg of the 4x100-meter relay that placed third at the ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships...Liberal arts major.

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205558663

I think its a totally different scenario, not to mention Johnson's game was speed not power. But appreciate the input and cane history lesson.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Johnson was garbage. All the talent in the world and didn't do a damned thing with it, to the point that we made him a depth guy at receiver towards the end. Not like Charlie Jones, fat Ty Moss and Derron Thomas were much in the way of competition either.

all the RB offers out there do not make me feel good about our local guys
Georgia has done the same thing and everybody feels great. Plus, staff wants 3 rbs and they can't guarantee that we get all 3 or if we did that they will even stick

Advertisement
Paranos, you're nutts. How the **** do you get that he would commit to us if we offered from that interview?

So if Canes Fans hearts are not ripped out on Friday and Sony does commit to UM, I would still look for Shai to get an offer an even commit to UM.

when he speaks about UM and his whole demeanor changes to a more upbeat an excited state.

****, we desperately need a big, bruising back like this in the rotation. Good find Paranos.

Now, if we do miss out on Sony and he does remain firm with his commitment I would be really happy filling out the RB position with Mckenzie (although my DREAM would be Roc Thomas) and this guy:

(This kid's acceleration at the :21 second mark sold me)

[video=youtube;4wFVkEena6w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wFVkEena6w[/video]

Paranos, you're nutts. How the **** do you get that he would commit to us if we offered from that interview?

So if Canes Fans hearts are not ripped out on Friday and Sony does commit to UM, I would still look for Shai to get an offer an even commit to UM.

when he speaks about UM and his whole demeanor changes to a more upbeat an excited state.

Listen to the interview carefully along with his verbal Que's and also notice his nonverbal que's. If your looking for him to say that he would commit directly that is not gonna happen, it would be a slap in the face to the schools who have offered.

So then what is your take away from Shai speech?

Go Canes

Advertisement

Listen to the interview carefully along with his verbal Que's and also notice his nonverbal que's. If your looking for him to say that he would commit directly that is not gonna happen, it would be a slap in the face to the schools who have offered.

Go Canes

He's a recruit that would entertain us just like many other OOS recruits that love our tradition and talent we put in NFL. You're crazy to think he would commit if we offered, but he definitely wants an offer from us & OSU.

Go Canes

Sounds like something a rapist would say "she said no, but her nonverbal que's said yes"

You live in never never land dude

Advertisement
Back