Serious question about the SEC and the playoff

TpaBayFlyFisher

World Class Angler
Premium
Since LSU earned its third loss today, if it beats Georgia in the SECCG, would the committee still invite the dogs to the playoffs over LSU? What if it is a blowout? Or, would the committee invite a three loss SEC champion? Could one loss OSU get the nod instead since it lost to undefeated Michigan?

Politically, the committee probably would prefer Michigan, Georgia, and TCU to go undefeated. That makes it easy to take a one loss Pac-12 champion USC as the 4th team. The ACC doesn’t get a spot because its champion has multiple losses.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Georgia is in barring an epic loss. LSU has no way in. Michigan is in barring an epic loss.

Only two teams at risk are TCU and USC
UGA
Mich
TCU
OSU should be the top 4 come Tuesday.

USC’s loss to Utah (albeit on the road and by 1) is still a worse loss than OSU to Michigan, IMO.

Advertisement
We are one Top 4 team losing away from Bama getting in.
That’s not true.

For Bama to get in, two of these need to happen:

uGA, TCU, Michigan, USC, and OSU would need to lose. Bama has two losses and no conference championship appearance. These 5 either have one loss and/or conference champ appearance

Unless both TCU and USC lose then there’s no way bama gets in. If one of them loses then OSU gets back in. Man can everyone just hold on and win next week. Lol need some new faces In The playoffs

UGA
Mich
TCU
OSU should be the top 4 come Tuesday.

USC’s loss to Utah (albeit on the road and by 1) is still a worse loss than OSU to Michigan, IMO.

I’d be shocked if it isn’t USC at 4. OSU got blown out at home against the 2nd good team they have played all year. USC just beat a “good” ND team pretty easily and the stink from their loss at Utah is long gone so I doubt they drop OSU just one spot. JMO.

I don’t see a realistic path for Bama Or Clemson. They have two losses to teams that did not go undefeated or win their division of the SEC. If USC or TCU lose, I think OSU gets the nod.

Advertisement
That’s not true.

For Bama to get in, two of these need to happen:

uGA, TCU, Michigan, USC, and OSU would need to lose. Bama has two losses and no conference championship appearance. These 5 either have one loss and/or conference champ appearance
OSU loss still a better loss than USC’s. OSU did beat ND first week

Advertisement
Two loss Bama might get in over one loss TCU if it comes down to those two schools for the final spot.

I think it would be dependent on how close TCU’s loss is vs KSU in the Title game. If it’s a close one, they’re probably in. If it’s a blowout, they’re probably jumped by Bama.

Last edited:
Georgia, Mich, OSU, are all guaranteed to be ahead of Alabama (The LSU loss also hurt Bama resume). So you would need TCU to get blown out and USC to lose for Bama to get in.

Advertisement
Back