Senior Malcolm lewis is letting his play do the talking

View as article

David Perez

Recruit
malcolm lewis.jpg

On Wednesday February 1, 2012, millions of students across the country had their dreams come true. It was national signing day, and student-athletes signed their letters of intent based on what college they planned on going to.

At the University of Miami a new regime had only shortly been in place under Al Golden, and a wave of talent that included 33 players made it clear they would become a Miami Hurricane in the fall.

But over 4 years later after a multitude of disappointments and a coaching change last winter, only 3 remain from Miami’s 2012 class. With only 15 seniors and 32 freshman on the roster this season, redshirt senior Malcolm Lewis knows it is his time to step up.

“I’m the oldest guy in the room,” Lewis said post-practice. “It’s kind of the role I have to take. I’ve been here for a while, and pretty much know the ropes. So I just try to lay it down and lead by example.”

And if there is any example of perseverance for Miami’s player to follow Malcolm Lewis certainly fits the bill. After suffering a gruesome leg injury during his freshman season, Lewis has battled back, and made an impact on the receiving core throughout the last 3 seasons.

Lewis says he constantly tells his teammates “You never know when it’s your last play”, and has worked hard despite difficult circumstances. And yet, with times changing once again in 2016, Lewis is ready to make an impact.

“I’m real motivated,” Lewis said regarding his mindset entering this season with a new staff. “The energy they bring to us, you know, to go hard every day, compete every day, and to just do everything right.”

As a receiver, Lewis has developed a great rapport with all of his Quarterbacks. Lewis developed good chemistry with former Miami gun-slinger Stephen Morris two years ago, and going into his third year playing with Brad Kaaya, Malcolm has spent time working on his mechanics.

“Spending more time during the offseason going through the routes, and getting the timing down pact [has been important].” Lewis said.

And while Lewis has developed from his time with the third year quarterback, Kaaya has also benefited from their experiences together.

“This is like my third year being around most of these guys,” Kaaya said while speaking about his veteran receivers. “I know how they run routes and get breaks and stuff like that so, the timing is pretty good with these guys.”

Lewis has worked with the quarterbacks all over the field this offseason, and stated that he is playing every receiver position right now for the ‘Canes.

Despite his versatility and workload, however, Lewis shied away from stating his personal expectations for the year. When asked if he has any personal goals Lewis said “Of course, but I’m going to keep them to myself.”

Lewis’ statement regarding his aspirations for the season is simple, but sends a message to fans that he is quietly preparing to make an impact. He won’t make a headline-grabbing statement regarding his expectations, but his humility sends an entirely different message of its own.

You may underestimate him, but going into his final year as a ‘Cane, Malcolm Lewis is ready to let his play do the talking.

Advertisement
After that injury his Freshman season I thought his career might be over.
I am so glad he is still around and has something to prove. I hope he surprises us all and has a big season. Would make for a great story.

I am so glad he is still around and has something to prove. I hope he surprises us all and has a big season. Would make for a great story.

I was at that game and thought the same thing. Horrific

Advertisement
15 seniors and 32 freshman on the team this year... Al really created a mess...

Doesn't necessarily mean anything. Sometimes you lose a lot of guys before their senior years because the go pro early. In some cases, they're dropped, like at Alabama.

I was there, too. The tackle looked ugly, so I wasn't surprised he didn't get up. Didn't know it was as bad as it was until after the game, though.

I'm hoping Money-Malc balls out this season!

Advertisement
On the real, he was my fave wr recruit that cycle. i always liked his game and his approach to it. I can def. see him being a hidden xfactor guy. Sort of like Ethnic Sands.

Great post OP. Immediately turns into a bull**** thread about a failed coach instead of focusing on the player. That play may actually be the one play he did not fail on.

Here's to a great season for Malcolm!!

Advertisement
I would love to see him have a breakout season. But does anyone know Lewis' stats these days? I remember he had excellent burst. Has he recovered that?

I was there, too. The tackle looked ugly, so I wasn't surprised he didn't get up. Didn't know it was as bad as it was until after the game, though.

I'm hoping Money-Malc balls out this season!

Yep. I was there. Had no idea how bad it was until I saw the replay.

Advertisement
15 seniors and 32 freshman on the team this year... Al really created a mess...

He did, but I don't think your statement is the evidence. Being on probation with scholarship reductions creates imbalance regardless of how good a coach is.

Advertisement
Back