SEC vs Miami

yessirking

4th and 20
I've noticed that UM goes up against Alabama, LSU and Georgia in alot of these recruiting battles.

Any reason why these teams seem to pop up so frequently? For a Miami team, that's fringe Top 25 - this is pretty good company.

Advertisement
Vicinity, close to our borders, and a lot of top kids are in our backyard. Recall, there’s literally a SEC team in our own state.

- a lot are local guys who use us for earlier exposure and to gain an offer or safe slot before waiting for their dream from SEC land. So sometimes the interest can be deceptive. Or they want to reduce the impact of local pressure by calling interest in us when it’s not likely and they again get the real offer and/or bag they really want. Now this has been under the last few staffs and even Manny but he does seem to be landing better and better recruiters.

There have been debates on here about the trade off between these kids selling us out/moms pimping them out versus our prior staffs not really working hard enough or selling us enough, too. But that’s another tangent to this.

But ultimately among the offers that you’re describing with the big bag/winner/shady SEC schools probably a lot of elements in the first paragraph have some validity to them.

I've noticed that UM goes up against Alabama, LSU and Georgia in alot of these recruiting battles.

Any reason why these teams seem to pop up so frequently? For a Miami team, that's fringe Top 25 - this is pretty good company.
It is only good company to be in when you win your share of those battles. Hopefully we are turning that corner.

Advertisement
- a lot are local guys who use us for earlier exposure and to gain an offer or safe slot before waiting for their dream from SEC land. So sometimes the interest can be deceptive. Or they want to reduce the impact of local pressure by calling interest in us when it’s not likely and they again get the real offer and/or bag they really want. Now this has been under the last few staffs and even Manny but he does seem to be landing better and better recruiters.

There have been debates on here about the trade off between these kids selling us out/moms pimping them out versus our prior staffs not really working hard enough or selling us enough, too. But that’s another tangent to this.

But ultimately among the offers that you’re describing with the big bag/winner/shady SEC schools probably a lot of elements in the first paragraph have some validity to them.

Don't know where you got this from....top kids don't need UM to get looks nationally. There's a ton of these kids that don't even have UM as their first offer.

Don't know where you got this from....top kids don't need UM to get looks nationally. There's a ton of these kids that don't even have UM as their first offer.
The myth that A Miami offer is a gateway offer for teams OOS has been around as long as I’ve followed recruiting. I’ve always thought that was pretty stupid since there’s plenty of guys from down here who went to SEC schools who we never pushed for.

Advertisement
Vicinity, close to our borders, and a lot of top kids are in our backyard. Recall, there’s literally a SEC team in our own state.
And I completely expect Florida to be in the equation for most of the top talent in state.
I've just found it interesting that we don't run up against Michigan, Oklahoma, Notre Dame or even Clemson as much as we do some of these SEC teams.

Last edited:
A geography lesson might be in store. Most kids from SoFL are not going to L.A., South Bend, Ann Arbor, Eugene, College Station, etc. Conversely, I doubt schools in the aforementioned list will spend the money traveling to SoFL when there are enough players closer to home.

Baga, UGA, Clemp$on are within driving distance and have been winning a lot of games as of late.

Miami only battles with SEC teams for skilled position guys (CB, WR,LB, RB), which in my opinion is a probably. Miami up until recently has had a hard time landing SEC cablier BIG MEN. The game is won in the trenches. Alabama's LBs and back 7 look good because of their DLINE.

Advertisement
The myth that A Miami offer is a gateway offer for teams OOS has been around as long as I’ve followed recruiting. I’ve always thought that was pretty stupid since there’s plenty of guys from down here who went to SEC schools who we never pushed for.
I don't think a Miami offer is a gateway to other offers. I do however believe that a Miami commitment is a gateway to bigger bags from SEC schools.

I don't think a Miami offer is a gateway to other offers. I do however believe that a Miami commitment is a gateway to bigger bags from SEC schools.
Depends on the recruit. 4stars and 3stars aren’t getting bags..I think the bag game is true..but I don’t think it’s as prevalent as we sometimes think ..the SEC sells its self. It’s the best conference to experience big time college football. Even the Tennessee’s and auburns sell out every home game rather they are mediocre, *** or elite. The emphasis SEC country puts on this sport is cultish. It’s a religious experience to them lo

Advertisement
Depends on the recruit. 4stars and 3stars aren’t getting bags..I think the bag game is true..but I don’t think it’s as prevalent as we sometimes think ..the SEC sells its self. It’s the best conference to experience big time college football. Even the Tennessee’s and auburns sell out every home game rather they are mediocre, *** or elite. The emphasis SEC country puts on this sport is cultish. It’s a religious experience to them lo
I was going to highlight a few of your excellent points.

If you don't know the bag game is rampant then yiu don't know sec recruiting.

If you don't know the bag game is rampant then yiu don't know sec recruiting.
If You think 3 stars or 4stars are getting bags then your tripping. I’m not saying it’s not happening. But it’s certainly not everyone

And I completely expect Florida to be in the equation for most of the top talent in state.
I've just found it interesting that we don't run up against Michigan, Oklahoma, Notre Dame or even Clemson as much as we do some of these SEC teams.

It takes a lot of resources to recruit different areas of the country and there's also the relationship aspect. Once you get one, you can keep at it at a school.

It's all a cost versus benefit analysis. Those schools you mentioned tend to recruit elsewhere. The schools that do well down here take one or two a year and focus on those recruits. The other schools would be fighting them, already having a foothold here. It could be done, but at what cost?

Advertisement
Back