SEC "pa[ys] very well"

Advertisement

I normally steer clear of this topic, but I think it's time we stop acting like we're mightier than our SEC counterparts. Listen - every school has it's underbelly of Alums and boosters who play outside of the view and rules of the NCAA. Every major university is sponsored by car dealerships that provide "special deals" to scholarship players for both car purchases and leases.

Let's not pretend like the SEC is some ultimate evil here. They may have more boosters/alum who take part, but these kids get special treatment and "gifts" no matter where they end up.

Advertisement

I normally steer clear of this topic, but I think it's time we stop acting like we're mightier than our SEC counterparts. Listen - every school has it's underbelly of Alums and boosters who play outside of the view and rules of the NCAA. Every major university is sponsored by car dealerships that provide "special deals" to scholarship players for both car purchases and leases.

Let's not pretend like the SEC is some ultimate evil here. They may have more boosters/alum who take part, but these kids get special treatment and "gifts" no matter where they end up.

This is partially true BUT how many times does some kid need to flaunt it on social media or get exposed in some other media and the NCAA does NOTHING if its SEC... The extent of the money and number of times its exposed at some point warrants investigation. There is NO WAY Mississippi draws a top 5 class without paying for it. This post by Shaq should at minimum open the discussion within the NCAA. Level the playing field!

Last edited:
Advertisement

Ummmm, for this very reason, we are not "mightier" than our $EC counterparts.

While I'm certain parity to some degree in college football would have occurred anyway, is it really that hard to believe that top notch SFLA talent goes to school (sometimes without a visit ala Ridley and BBecker) for benefits not offered to them at home?

I mean, for those of us that went to UM...or have even been to UM...and then compared and contrasted with a UA or L$U...is there any doubt? **** no.

There simply is an advantage to being able to offer double or triple what UM can or UM will. There simply is an advantage to having an ex-$EC guy at the helm of the NCAA with intimate relationships with L$U and Nick Saban. There simply is an advantage to having boosters / alumni that would lay down in front of train to ensure their success versus having a Nevin Shapiro or Uncle Luke that never attended UM and would rat anybody out to get ahead or save his own ***.

The system today is the ultimate evil, not just the $EC, and certain state institutions...in and out of the $EC have mastered it. FACT. Disadvantage UM.

We have a better equalizer than most (which is what makes Stanford's accomplishments in recent years pretty **** impressive) with our recruiting base, but if we are going to keep the big fish home consistently.....time to step up.

UM

The part that should make ALL of you mad is the NCAA only goes after the few big time powerhouses in the other conferences, that can beat them.

Advertisement

This is partially true BUT how many times does some kid need to flaunt it on social media or get exposed in some other media and the NCAA does NOTHING if its SEC... The extent of the money and number of times its exposed at some point warrants investigation. There is NO WAY Mississippi draws a top 5 class without paying for it. This post by Shaq should at minimum open the discussion within the NCAA. Level the playing field!
This. It's the selective enforcement of the rules by the NCAA that ****es most of us off. More to the point, it is infuriating how they routinely ignore any and all evidence of SEC schools cheating while simultaneously going HAM on Miami, USC, and other non SEC schools for lesser infractions.

All true. But when we get busted for miso soup, bowling, used washer and dryer and unsubstantiated rumors its only natural to be salty about it when the benefits are taken to another stratosphere by a certain conference without repercussion.

Advertisement
Back