SEC new rule teams must play 1 legit occ conference opponent

Cane Dynasty

Thunderdome Survivor
Advertisement
I suggested this a few days ago when there was some talk of going to 9 ACC games. I think the idea is pretty good. To make the playoffs (the 4 team tourney) all teams should have to become playoff eligible.

In order to be "playoff eligible" a team must

1. Play 9 Games in Conference (alternate each year 5 home v. 4 away, 4 home v. 5 away),
2. Play AT MOST 7 games at home,
3. Schedule 2 Non-Conference BCS Teams, and
4. Play 12 Regular Season Games

Guess the Gata's will have to play someone other than Georgia Southern... Oh wait :ibisroflmao:

So uf can no longer schedule southeast western state tech of the lemurs and cry that the sec schedule is too tough? How long before their AD calls Wake Forest?

Thread title probably could have been worded better but..............

The SEC is sticking with eight conference games for its 14 teams, though it has a twist.

Starting in 2016, all SEC teams will be required to play a team from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 or Pac-12. Notre Dame can be played as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/sec-announces-continuation-of-8-game-conference-schedule-004745559.html

Advertisement
So uf can no longer schedule southeast western state tech of the lemurs and cry that the sec schedule is too tough? How long before their AD calls Wake Forest?

Thread title probably could have been worded better but..............

The SEC is sticking with eight conference games for its 14 teams, though it has a twist.

Starting in 2016, all SEC teams will be required to play a team from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 or Pac-12. Notre Dame can be played as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/sec-announces-continuation-of-8-game-conference-schedule-004745559.html

They play FSU every year so this really doesn't matter to them...

I suggested this a few days ago when there was some talk of going to 9 ACC games. I think the idea is pretty good. To make the playoffs (the 4 team tourney) all teams should have to become playoff eligible.

1. Play 9 Games in Conference (alternate each year 5 home v. 4 away, 4 home v. 5 away),

There is actually some merit to this. I'd like to see something like it adopted.

No more cupcake city.

Guess the Gata's will have to play someone other than Georgia Southern... Oh wait :ibisroflmao:

Yes. That FSU team they schedule OOC as one of their BCS games every year really sucks. Care to compare that game to the typical BCS games of all these other top teams? You won't like what you find.

Advertisement

There is actually some merit to this. I'd like to see something like it adopted.

No more cupcake city.

Agreed. If all the power conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC-12, SEC) adopted this format, then at the end of the year I think it would be easier and more accurate to rank the teams.

So if we assume we have an 8 Team Playoff, in which there are 4 rules:

1. To be in the playoff, a team must be "playoff eligible",
2. The 5 conference champions are automatically 1-5 (of the 8 teams),
3. At most, there can be two picks per conference, and
4. 3 At-large teams 6-8 (non-automatic) will be selected based on ranking (best 3 teams without an automatic spot subject to rule 3).

The goal here is to make it OBVIOUS who should be in the Playoff.

If we make all the teams play a similar scheduling format,
If we tie 5 of the 8 automatic spots to Conference Champions,
If we limit 2 Playoff spots per conference, then
we have taken a lot of the HUMAN ELEMENT out of the equation (which is key).

In addition to the above, the FIRST BCS ranking will appear AFTER WEEK 8. At that point the season will be 2/3 done and the ranking will actually mean something.

The rankings are done by 2 criteria

1. Win/Loss and
2. SOS

That is it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
As of right now Texas A&M, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Missouri all don't partners. But these are no brain partnerships

Texas A&M - Texas
Tennessee - North Carolina
Missouri - Kansas

Advertisement

Yes. That FSU team they schedule OOC as one of their BCS games every year really sucks. Care to compare that game to the typical BCS games of all these other top teams? You won't like what you find.

Yeah we play them too, lol... The SEC isn't the super conference the SEC marketing machine likes everyone to think.

I would love for us to have a home and home with Ole Miss or Mississippi State! 3 hours to oxford and about 5 to Starkville. The cowbells at Miss State can't be any worse than FSU's chop. Also LSU is awesome for tailgating. Plenty of cajun food and cold beer

This should make teams like Indiana, Wake Forest, Iowa State, and Kansas very popular. You'll have to take a number if you want to play those guys.

Advertisement
Back